• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Kinda picture it tasting like goose sausage, like a red meat that's surprisingly tasty.

And speaking of strange things to eat
    176tlc.jpg

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Most of the weirder things I've eaten are seafood. I've had eel, octopus, and conch and two of the three are outstanding. I've also had snake(bland like chicken), frog(not even chicken is that bland), turtle(good if handled correctly), warthog(tasted like domestic pork, although the one I tried was apparently a boar and tasted like it), and several species of antelope(ranged from slightly gamey to the best meat I've ever had).

Most types of waterfowl that feed heavily on fish are not considered to be good to eat, even by normal waterfowl standards so I'm guessing penguin would be similar and wouldn't be very pleasant.

Not much for unusual meats- venison and rabbit are as far as I've gone.

But I've been learning about local foraging, which involves a lot of plants people don't know are edible, so: dandelion (fairly well known), redbud trees, plantain (not the banana, but the common lawn weed), white pine, daylillies.

Don't forget the stinging nettles on the list of edible local plants. Just be sure to let them wilt in the sun long enough to remove most of the sting!

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Don't forget the stinging nettles on the list of edible local plants. Just be sure to let them wilt in the sun long enough to remove most of the sting!

Stinging nettles were a staple for Native Americans. The best way to prepare them is to dip them in boiling water for about fifteen seconds. All the “sting” is removed, and none of the nutrients are lost. It tastes kind of like spinach.

If you don’t eat it in the spring, in the fall, you can make GREAT cordage out of the stems.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I'm guessing that several members have eaten crow before.

I hear it tastes like bald eagle.

Years ago while teaching a hunter safety class, someone jokingly asked what Blue Heron tasted like. Not missing a beat I replied "a lot like bald eagle but not as greasy". I thought the CO teaching with me was going to have a heart attack.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

Yup. I'm aware of them, but haven't found any in my area yet. Both drying and boiling eliminate the sting.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    I’ll likely catch a lot of flak for this, it who was the first guy that looked at a live lobster and said “I’ll bet that tastes pretty good......”

Not really a fan tho I have one every once in a while upon which I usually promise to never do that again. Steak.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I've never had penguin, but I heard they like ice cream....

[video=youtube;_7qJ7wAhfHU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7qJ7wAhfHU[/video]

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    [FONT=&amp]BAKED HAVARTI PENGUIN BREAST [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]- 4 boneless, skinless penguin breast halves [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]- 2 (4 ounce) cans whole green [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]- chili peppers, drained, and sliced lengthwise [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]- 4 ounces sliced Havarti cheese with dill [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]- Italian dressing [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]- Greek seasoning (optional) [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]- 1 tablespoon butter [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]- 1 tablespoon white cooking wine [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Directions [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]2) Marinate penguin in Italian Dressing and Greek Seasoning, if using, for a minimum of 30 minutes. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]3) Place penguin in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle top with additional Greek seasoning, if desired, and bake in preheated oven for approximately 25 minutes, or until no longer pink in center and juices run clear. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]4) Shortly before penguin is done, melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat until bubbling. Pour in wine, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic salt, and bring to a boil. Stir in mushrooms. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until mushrooms are tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt as needed. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]5) Remove penguin from the oven. Lay green chili slices on top of each breast, then top each chili with a slice of cheese. Return to the oven until cheese has melted. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]6)Remove penguin from the oven, top with mushrooms and their pan juices, and serve and enjoy![/FONT]

I am sending this recipe to my sister. She just loves them penguins. Just not in this way of course. :yesway:

No penguins for me.
    I have eaten a lot of Buffalo burgers and Ostrich patties at a local scarf-n-barf in the CA desert I lived at. They were all raised locally. I used to raise a **** load of quail, pheasants, grouse, ducks, etc... when I was a kid. Only a very few were pets. ;)
    Did I mention how delicious frogs were?

In the past I've eaten pretty much everything that comes out of the sea in my scuba days. Including Sea Urchins and Sea Cucumbers and they're just nasty things when they're alive. Of course all sushi, sashimi and calamari are my favorite dishes. I've also eaten bugs and worms mostly from dares. Freeze dried, deep fried, skillet fried and boiled. (yes I know there was a book) My kids try to give me weird things to eat all the time because they know my past. All different jerky meats and insects.
    And I will never turn down a good plate of escargot.

In fact....(as I am now pulling them out)
    From my pantry in front of me I have some black ants in some fancy white chocolate wafers, chocolate dipped crickets and insect larva. (they don't say what larva but they're much larger than meal worms), bacon and cheese flavored crickets (not sure how they're cooked but they are whole what a few loose legs), and a scorpion in a translucent lollypop. Weird.
    The deal is I have to eat this stuff when my kids come here to visit so they can all gross out. Whatever. :rolleyes:

When I lived abroad, I ate both cat and dog. Don't hate me, I didn't know at the time until after. And God knows what else.
    Just to be clear... I didn't voluntarily eat a cat or a dog. Or on purpose. Or however it is put.

BTW- For whatever reason the Portuguese families I knew prefer black dog, like labs for some reason. I know... I was mad too.

and I found this..

EPble5T.gif

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    For some reason when I read the phrase "Anyone ever eaten penguin", I hear it in my head as Andre the Giant's voice.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    [h=1]Crispy Penguin and Fried Rice Recipe[/h]Crispy Penguin and Fried Rice By sim64, August 16, 2012

roast-horse.jpg

Crispy penguin with a bit of a kick
    Prep Time: 30 minutes
    Cook time: 2 hour
    Yield: 4 portions of Crispy penguin
    Nutrition facts: 500 calories, 29 grams fat

Ingredients:
    1 penguin
    5 tbl spoons of olive oil
    1 large red pepper
    1 large onion
    1 large green pepper
    1 large clove of garlic
    2 large chillies
    1 pack of fried rice

Instructions: chop penguin in to small cubes, fry quickly in hot oil until brown, remove from heat, brown onions and remove from heat, brown both peppers and remove from heat, mix all together with crushed garlic and chopped chillies and seasoning, reheat oil as hot as possible, quickly fry all ingredients until penguin is crispy, remove from heat and drain. Fry rice in same pan, lay our on plate and carefully position crispy penguin and over ingredents on bed of fried rice

1 comment: From Matt, August 16 - Best penguin recipe I have seen for a long time.

5 out of 5 based on 2 ratings

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I have had rattlesnake, alligator, and grasshopper. I don’t recall any of them leaving me with the feeling of “oh yeah let’s do this again! “

I’ve also partaken of goat cooked arab style, That is the whole goat roasted over the fire and served on a bed of rice with no utensils. You just reach out with your (RIGHT) hand and tear off a hunk. It was pretty good but I just about got third-degree burns on my fingers because that goat was fresh off the grill.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have had rattlesnake, alligator, and grasshopper. I don’t recall any of them leaving me with the feeling of “oh yeah let’s do this again! “

I’ve also partaken of goat cooked arab style, That is the whole goat roasted over the fire and served on a bed of rice with no utensils. You just reach out with your (RIGHT) hand and tear off a hunk. It was pretty good but I just about got third-degree burns on my fingers because that goat was fresh off the grill.

I've had curried goat at a Jamaican restaurant. I'm not a big curry fan, but it wasn't baaaaaad. ;)

Top Bottom