Anyone still like Single Action revolvers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    A perfect starter's combo. A Ruger 44, and an affordable way to shoot it!

38047047426_43faf36d6c_b.jpg

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    This picture is already 5 years old. Time flies...
    100 yards. Three, 3-shot groups(with a flier missing). The smallest group was 2.7". That clump in the center is all under 2". 300 grains loaded over a case full of H110.

38069046102_57d96929fa_b.jpg

38069046162_7d99f228cf_b.jpg

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Similar load, same gun. Had one of my best deer hunting days with it. Sitting on one side if a draw on my FIL property. Six point buck came out in the other side, about 70 yards away. Had the gun cocked, just did not feel confident of the shot. He walked off, used the grunt call and he came back. Cocked the gun again, he walked off, repeat. He started down the draw, would have come up within 10 feet of me but went back. Grunted him back one more time and he left.

Despite having him in my sights 5 times, never felt good about the shot. Adrenaline went up, had a good time, figured I got my moneys worth and never fired.

Don

hunt4fun

Retired
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    North Salem
    Glad to hear that you passed on the yearling. Let him go so he can grow!

Similar load, same gun. Had one of my best deer hunting days with it. Sitting on one side if a draw on my FIL property. Six point buck came out in the other side, about 70 yards away. Had the gun cocked, just did not feel confident of the shot. He walked off, used the grunt call and he came back. Cocked the gun again, he walked off, repeat. He started down the draw, would have come up within 10 feet of me but went back. Grunted him back one more time and he left.

Despite having him in my sights 5 times, never felt good about the shot. Adrenaline went up, had a good time, figured I got my moneys worth and never fired.

Don

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    5-1/2 inch Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt with Alatmont rosewood grips . . .

My only gripe is the availability of ammunition other than the lightly loaded "cowboy action" which is usually lead without a jacket. Whenever I use that ammunition I put a full cylinder load of LEVERevolution jacketed hollow points through it to reduce the lead fouling. Using it on a range with four loads gives an appreciation for what it was like to reload in a firefight. Drives home the reality using "spray-n-pray" with a single action that has a loading gate is not a very good strategy. Fire discipline and shot placement become very important. Having a New York reload can be handy - which is what Captain Patton acquired during the Mexican Expedition after he got into a firefight and found reloading a SA revolver with a loading gate was a Royal PITA.

36174459166_2928096b23_b.jpg

Footnotes:
    Patton had a pair .45 Colt SAA from the Mexican Expedition through WWI. He gave one of them away to a Hollywood actor he admired that had entertained troops during the war. In 1935 he acquired a .357 S&W Registered Magnum and was among one of the first to own what would become the Model 27. The photos of him wearing his brace of revolvers during WWII show the .45 Colt SAA on one side and .357 Registered Magnum on the other. Regarding reloading a SAA, it is why the break action Schofield SA was fielded, albeit in limited numbers, and the US Army attempted to replace its M1873 SAA (and the Schofields) with the DA .38 Long revolvers with swing out cylinders. The choice of caliber and the Philippine Moro Insurrection on the heels of the Spanish-American War demonstrating its complete lack of effectiveness resulted in quickly reverting to the shorter barrel Colt SAA and Schofields that had been stockpiled while the US Army pursued a replacement. The Colt SAA and Schofield were no longer ideal, including both being black powder revolvers. It ultimately created the iconic M1911 designed by John Moses Browning. One of the criteria for the M1911 was a .45 cartridge that had the same power as the black powder M1873 Colt SAA cartridge (the US Army was using a specially made slightly shorter cartridge that would also fit the Schofield). The M1911 used smokeless which enabled a much shorter cartridge.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Footnotes:
    Patton had a pair .45 Colt SAA from the Mexican Expedition through WWI. He gave one of them away to a Hollywood actor he admired that had entertained troops during the war. In 1935 he acquired a .357 S&W Registered Magnum and was among one of the first to own what would become the Model 27. The photos of him wearing his brace of revolvers during WWII show the .45 Colt SAA on one side and .357 Registered Magnum on the other. Regarding reloading a SAA, it is why the break action Schofield SA was fielded, albeit in limited numbers, and the US Army attempted to replace its M1873 SAA (and the Schofields) with the DA .38 Long revolvers with swing out cylinders. The choice of caliber and the Philippine Moro Insurrection on the heels of the Spanish-American War demonstrating its complete lack of effectiveness resulted in quickly reverting to the shorter barrel Colt SAA and Schofields that had been stockpiled while the US Army pursued a replacement. The Colt SAA and Schofield were no longer ideal, including both being black powder revolvers. It ultimately created the iconic M1911 designed by John Moses Browning. One of the criteria for the M1911 was a .45 cartridge that had the same power as the black powder M1873 Colt SAA cartridge (the US Army was using a specially made slightly shorter cartridge that would also fit the Schofield). The M1911 used smokeless which enabled a much shorter cartridge.

They're in Louisville....

e938b8239bf336052f66027169456d3f.jpg

9k=

dan45

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 25, 2019
    brownsburg
    my first gun was a Ruger single six .22 and i still love shooting it. it's also one of the most accurate pistols i've owned.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    For a number of years my EDC's were a pair of Cimarron Thunderer birdshead grip .45 single actions with 3.5" bbls. I stopped carrying them because my eyes got too old to see those little half-dime sights. I got my cataracts fixed and see like an eagle again. I might start carrying them again.

Now lemeesee…

I have a Colt SAA 2nd generation .45 made in 1957.

Also a Bisley made in 1907 in .45 with 5.5" bbl that at one time was nickel plated. According to Colt's letter it left the factory chambered in .32-20 with a 4.75" bbl. Go figure.

And a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .45/.45ACP with 7.5" bbl.

And a Replica Arms Remington 1875 in .357 Mag that my old man bought when I was still in grade school.

This is one of the Cimarrons in the Doc Holliday rig that I wear to shoot Cowboy Action.

100_2015.JPG

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Just introduced the girlfriend to a single action revolver for the first time today. Just a heritage rough rider but she had a blast shooting it. Going to have to put a center fire single action on the to buy list for sure.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I'm your huckleberry :) I only had the one for years and am blessed to have 4 now. 2 in 45 Colt, 1 in 357 mag, and 1 combo 22/22 wmr, Perfect balance and great for woods walks.

Attachments

• saa2.jpg
      saa2.jpg
      48 KB · Views: 10

Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    I bought an Uberti 1873 in .357 years ago (I think I gave less than $300). Shot it for the first time last weekend and man am I upset I hadn’t shot it till now

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For a number of years my EDC's were a pair of Cimarron Thunderer birdshead grip .45 single actions with 3.5" bbls. I stopped carrying them because my eyes got too old to see those little half-dime sights. I got my cataracts fixed and see like an eagle again. I might start carrying them again.

Now lemeesee…

I have a Colt SAA 2nd generation .45 made in 1957.

Also a Bisley made in 1907 in .45 with 5.5" bbl that at one time was nickel plated. According to Colt's letter it left the factory chambered in .32-20 with a 4.75" bbl. Go figure.

And a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .45/.45ACP with 7.5" bbl.

And a Replica Arms Remington 1875 in .357 Mag that my old man bought when I was still in grade school.

This is one of the Cimarrons in the Doc Holliday rig that I wear to shoot Cowboy Action.

View attachment 79670

I have that same gun too and love the option of shooting 45 acp. I reload, so not a huge cost difference, but still a nice option. Oh, and my Ruger Wrangler below it in the pic... :) Still need holsters for both of these though.

B18WFxz.jpg

Top Bottom