• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I'm not sure I agree with that. The Zastava products are just as good and generally at the same price point.

I can't disagree with the N-PAP. Most of my experience was with the M70 style stock on the PAP's, which beat the heck out of my cheek. Now that they are installing a more traditional AKM shaped stock those issues are no longer a problem. I think either the PAP or WASR are the safest choices in today's market.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    The paps have recently been said to have a brittle hard receiver in some instances, sometimes leading to cracking. On the issue with the m70 style stock isn't the stock itself, it usually comes down to an error with stance, not shouldering the weapon tightly, not leaning into the gun, standing too upright, or holding a long non-squared stance like you would skeet shooting, rather than a squared off 'fighting-rifle' stance.

my beat up worn out m70 has thousands of rounds thru it and it is my most comfortable, best shooting AK style rifle.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I would check out the Polish WBP AK's that Atlantic Firearms is putting out. I've heard some pretty impressive things about the quality. Atlantic Polish WBP Rifle

As far as American AK's go they have pretty much all come up short of the mark. One American company to keep an eye on is Riley Defense. It appears to me that they are making a legit attempt at putting out a quality AK at an affordable price range. While I would'nt necessarily put them in the high end range I think they are on the right track to producing a decent rifle for what it is and they've shown that they are very receptive to feedback and willing to make changes to improve their product based on that feedback.

Last edited:
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    A youtube channel called TFBTV did a video on a new AK company located in the country called Two Rivers. They seemed like well built rifles. I would check out James Lee Armory or Red Jacket (sons of guns)

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    A youtube channel called TFBTV did a video on a new AK company located in the country called Two Rivers. They seemed like well built rifles. I would check out James Lee Armory or Red Jacket (sons of guns)

I'd love a Tabuk, but they seem to be very scare on the market by Two Rivers. Granted, if you're no fan of the M70 pattern Yugo, a Tabuk doesn't help you there.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    A Bulgarian Arsenal is without a doubt, your best option currently. Yes, the finish sucks and always has. But the rifles are phenomenal and last forever. And with the release of the 107R at $850, it blows the competition out of the water.

I'm not sure I agree with that. The Zastava products are just as good and generally at the same price point.

I have to disagree. First, they lack chrome lining in the barrels and thus wear out quicker. And second, many of the parts are incompatible with the rest of the AK world. A Cugir built rifle might have a rougher exterior than it's Zastava counterpart, but it is a much better representation of a kalashnikov.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg

Unless you are talking used, Red Jacket is long gone and the owner is in prison for being a child molester. Aklys Defense, which is what's left of it (owned by Joe Meaux, formerly part owner of Red Jacket), will do custom builds, but no off the rack AKs anymore.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    So between the 107r and Polish WBP? I see there's a difference in price but is the Arsenal still the better choice? The Polish? $100 better? I'd hate to think that extra $100 is for wood furniture when the stock and upper handguard will likely be replaced...

I have fairly low expectations when it comes to an AK. It has to work, all the time. Period. That's about the run of it.

The NPAP never really interested me and I still remember the WASR when it was $350-$400. Even though those were CAI Hack Jobs, still kinda salty over it.

Really wish the East German stuff was still around. I wouldn't mind building from a kit if there was a kit bash party going on somewhere. My experience with AKs is occasionally shooting one. I don't possess the tools or the know-how, as far as I know.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    So between the 107r and Polish WBP? I see there's a difference in price but is the Arsenal still the better choice? The Polish? $100 better? I'd hate to think that extra $100 is for wood furniture when the stock and upper handguard will likely be replaced...

I have fairly low expectations when it comes to an AK. It has to work, all the time. Period. That's about the run of it.

The NPAP never really interested me and I still remember the WASR when it was $350-$400. Even though those were CAI Hack Jobs, still kinda salty over it.

Really wish the East German stuff was still around. I wouldn't mind building from a kit if there was a kit bash party going on somewhere. My experience with AKs is occasionally shooting one. I don't possess the tools or the know-how, as far as I know.

If you can find a good Polish kit WITH A POLISH BARREL it will likely make a terrific gun. The bad thing is the barrels are no longer included in the kits, so you are stuff like Green River. Nothing wrong with them, but they suck in comparison to a Com-Bloc CHF CL one. That's where Arsenal really shines, terrific barrels.
    And I agree, the old E German stuff was terrific. Even if they looked funny with their blue slings and "pebble" stocks :smileak:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If you can find a good Polish kit WITH A POLISH BARREL it will likely make a terrific gun. The bad thing is the barrels are no longer included in the kits, so you are stuff like Green River. Nothing wrong with them, but they suck in comparison to a Com-Bloc CHF CL one. That's where Arsenal really shines, terrific barrels.
    And I agree, the old E German stuff was terrific. Even if they looked funny with their blue slings and "pebble" stocks :smileak:

Yeah, thanks atf for now considering barrels as part of a machine gun for import purposes. The stupid never disappoints

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you can find a Polytech "Legend", it's a good quality AK.
    I got one back in the late 80's just after Drug Czar (and phony conservative) Bill Bennett pushed for an import ban of them.
    It's a solid forged and milled receiver rifle, made at China's plant 386, which also made AK's for the military.
    Mine is the wood stock non-folder version
    It's been a quality reliable rifle, and has never jammed of misfed even once in all the years I've had it.
    I've NEVER regretted buying it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If you can find a Polytech "Legend", it's a good quality AK.
    I got one back in the late 80's just after Drug Czar (and phony conservative) Bill Bennett pushed for an import ban of them.
    It's a solid forged and milled receiver rifle, made at China's plant 386, which also made AK's for the military.
    Mine is the wood stock non-folder version
    It's been a quality reliable rifle, and has never jammed of misfed even once in all the years I've had it.
    I've NEVER regretted buying it.

I'm gonna wait a couple more years and sell my legend. I'm done with AK's but that legend is probably one of the only guns i own that was actualy a good investment

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse

If you want an AK, and you can't make up your mind, take the 40 or so mile drive and go to copper custom. They've usually got a good assortment of AK rifles (50+ last time I went and my boys decided to count) Saigas, lee armory, DA, Vepr, Wasr, basically all your 'off the shelf' options (minus ras47/c39 crap) for you to fondle.

at least lets you handle a few good options; the other shops around me usually have nothing of decent quality.

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Whats wrong with the Romanian SAR 1? I had one for years with no troubles, and gave it up to my grandson, but now Im thinking about getting another one.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Whats wrong with the Romanian SAR 1? I had one for years with no troubles, and gave it up to my grandson, but now Im thinking about getting another one.
    Hard to find is the only problem with the SAR, stopped bringing them in a while ago. Closest thing we got in recent time to a real AKM.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    If you want an AK, and you can't make up your mind, take the 40 or so mile drive and go to copper custom. They've usually got a good assortment of AK rifles (50+ last time I went and my boys decided to count) Saigas, lee armory, DA, Vepr, Wasr, basically all your 'off the shelf' options (minus ras47/c39 crap) for you to fondle.

at least lets you handle a few good options; the other shops around me usually have nothing of decent quality.

Ive never been at copper customs when i was in the market for an AK. However, i can agree with Floivanus 100%. They have a HUGE selection.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    what about krebs? They are expensive, but ive read they are very good quality. I dont own one so this is only by what ive read.
    They're going to be good quality, they typically start with a Saiga or Vepr rifle (although they did a ras47 before) which are the best AK rifles out there for action quality andfit/finish. To me it seems like you're paying a hefty price for some bolt on pieces. I'm not sure how they'll end up holding their value over time. They're like your boutique/custom 1911s if you value quality and a smooth action and the cost doesn't scare you away.

Ive never been at copper customs when i was in the market for an AK. However, i can agree with Floivanus 100%. They have a HUGE selection.
    the selection is great, and if you catch Tim or Dave you get a couple of dudes that know their stuff and will BS with you about anything for a long time while you're there. If you're genuinely looking and want to see how a wide range of guns feel, go there.

Top Bottom