• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    The SAR 1 , and the Wasr, are not that hard to find. Gunbroker has always got a SAR 1 for sale ,also pawn shops uselly have a Wasr or two for sale. I just found a like new SAR by asking around, and will have it Monday. It might not be top end, but at least i know it was made at the Cugir factory, and will have dimples in the receiver so there should not have any mag wobble.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    I have to disagree. First, they lack chrome lining in the barrels and thus wear out quicker. And second, many of the parts are incompatible with the rest of the AK world. A Cugir built rifle might have a rougher exterior than it's Zastava counterpart, but it is a much better representation of a kalashnikov.

Because there's so much corrosive x39 on the market these days.... As for non-chrome lined barrels running out faster, anyone who's looking to buy a "budget AK" isn't likely to ever shoot the barrel out. I'll take the accuracy of a non-chromed barrel for what its worth. Furniture isn't AKM pattern, but there is now a ton of M70 pattern stuff on the aftermarket. Other than that, they're more or less parts compatible. Trigger group, magazine, muzzle devices, etc..

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    what about krebs? They are expensive, but ive read they are very good quality. I dont own one so this is only by what ive read.

Kreb's was exactly what I had in mind when I said "that isn't a custom" (or whatever I said). Looking to keep it within the 1k range, plus or minus $200, and getting two.

I'd never heard of Copper Custom. Generally I stay away from anything with custom in the title because they tend to be finicky, boutique rifles, far outside my price range. They sound like they're just an AK dealer though? Or an FFL that handles a lot of AKs?

The SAR was definitely something I was looking at a few months back, but as was stated, I couldn't find any that were reasonable. So I'm hearing Arsenal's, NPAPs and The Polish model exclusive to Atlantic.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Arsenal all the way. They're out there, if you can get one around $800 I would jump on it. A more realistic price will be near $1000 depending on what model you go with.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    So what is the difference between the WBP and the Arsenal? I've seen the Arsenal has a junk finish, but what's the problem with the WBP, if any?

I know I'm leaving the WASR out here, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth from its CAI import days. That's a tough pill to swallow...

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    There isn't a better made factory AK than the Arsenal. Crappy finish!? You mean that thing that comes off on its own if you actually use a rifle? I've owned three Jim Fuller (pre-RD when he was the only guy wrenching on them) full custom AK's, and my Arsenal underfolder performed just as flawlessly as they did for nearly a $1000 less! I've since dumped all my AK's and replaced them with 5.56 ammo, but Arsenal is the answer you were looking for!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    From what I understand, Arsenal is now re-finishing rifles as a warranty issue.
    You would have to double ck. but I recall reading that on here or another forum within the past year.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Kreb's was exactly what I had in mind when I said "that isn't a custom" (or whatever I said). Looking to keep it within the 1k range, plus or minus $200, and getting two.

I'd never heard of Copper Custom. Generally I stay away from anything with custom in the title because they tend to be finicky, boutique rifles, far outside my price range. They sound like they're just an AK dealer though? Or an FFL that handles a lot of AKs?

The SAR was definitely something I was looking at a few months back, but as was stated, I couldn't find any that were reasonable. So I'm hearing Arsenal's, NPAPs and The Polish model exclusive to Atlantic.

I agree the word 'custom' is a turn off for a gun store. I would've never stepped foot into copper custom except for the fact my older son wouldn't stop watching MAC (one of the owners YouTube channels) and that I talked to the owner himself. Yes, they do custom work. You will see $2,000 AR15s, they do however have the best local (to me at least) selection of modern sporting rifles, tavor, ar15, ak, h&k style guns etc. I've handled Arsenal, Krebs, Definitive Arms, Lee armory, Saiga, Vepr FM, Wasr and I'm sure a few others while there. When I bought my Vepr they had a price that was within a few bucks of cheapest online price, and $100+ cheaper than the other local shops.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    The guy just made $1600 from two rifles and the buyer is a cheap ass? I'm not following that line of logic. $1600 is a significant chunk of change, and i'm fanatical about guns.

Looking around, I'm seeing the Arsenal SAM7SF going for around $1400. I like the forged and milled receiver, but I don't know that it's worth the extra $$ over stamped. Either way I'll end up re-finishing it. Yeah, the finish wears. But I don't see the finish bubbling off after a drum dump as being normal "wear and tear." Really I just want reasonable accuracy and unquestionable reliability, in a rifle I can drop in the dirt and throw in the back of the truck. And I want it to last.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The guy just made $1600 from two rifles and the buyer is a cheap ass? I'm not following that line of logic. $1600 is a significant chunk of change, and i'm fanatical about guns.

Looking around, I'm seeing the Arsenal SAM7SF going for around $1400. I like the forged and milled receiver, but I don't know that it's worth the extra $$ over stamped. Either way I'll end up re-finishing it. Yeah, the finish wears. But I don't see the finish bubbling off after a drum dump as being normal "wear and tear." Really I just want reasonable accuracy and unquestionable reliability, in a rifle I can drop in the dirt and throw in the back of the truck. And I want it to last.
    Ok, then what is the answer to your original question that you are trying to elicit? Yes there are good AKs left, no there aren't as many in the price range it seems you want to pay? Or WASRs are just as good as Arsenals, so you don't need to spend the extra loot? Hell what about IO, they're probably as good as... My point, if I still have one, is you asked if there are any good AKs left, Arsenals have been brought up as being about as good as it gets until you hit the built rifle stage. WASRs are still a crap shoot, but better than they used to be, and there isn't a serious American AK as yet. Chinese and Egyptian rifles are going for as much as Krebs and RD guns are these days, so what answer do you want?

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Ok, then what is the answer to your original question that you are trying to elicit? Yes there are good AKs left, no there aren't as many in the price range it seems you want to pay? Or WASRs are just as good as Arsenals, so you don't need to spend the extra loot? Hell what about IO, they're probably as good as... My point, if I still have one, is you asked if there are any good AKs left, Arsenals have been brought up as being about as good as it gets until you hit the built rifle stage. WASRs are still a crap shoot, but better than they used to be, and there isn't a serious American AK as yet. Chinese and Egyptian rifles are going for as much as Krebs and RD guns are these days, so what answer do you want?
    I hope you brought IO up as a joke...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

I wasnt calling the buyers cheap asses. They ponied up the money. It's cool you don't get what I'm saying. Maybe you wont become disappointed by the ****s in the gun community like I have

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana

Made? More like lost his ***

If you're that concerned about a finish on a gun then you should never carry or use a gun. Guns are not meant to be pretty. They're tools.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    I hope you brought IO up as a joke...

I'm sure it was. I'm looking to get the best AKs I can for the money (around $1k) based on the criteria that I want it reliable, lasting, and reasonably accurate (it's an ak, I get that.), and i've apparently ruffled some feathers. This thread has evolved and branched, as threads do. Arsenal is getting the nod from the majority of those that have weighed in and so I am focusing on it, and asking: is the SAM7SF, with it's forged and milled receiver, bolt, carrier, whatever, worth the extra money over the stamped models from Arsenal, such as the 107r, based on my aforementioned criteria? No, I don't consider being a "cheap ass" to be a legitimate response. I've set a reasonable budget. I don't consider $1k to be oit of line for a working man's rifle.

I've never owned, and fired once, an AK47. I read a lot. And what I've been reading is that a lot of the best AK's have been banned through some means or another, and the newer (mainly American companies) aren't producing weapons worth the sheet metal they're stamped on. So my original question of are there any good AKs left is a legitimate one. Who's putting out, if anyone, AKs that can be held to the original AK's standards. I've decided Arsenal is my best bet, based on responses here. Now i'm determining a model. Trying to keep it around $1k. My budget I've set for it, cheap or not.

Just so we're all on the same page. Thank you.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm sure it was. I'm looking to get the best AKs I can for the money (around $1k) based on the criteria that I want it reliable, lasting, and reasonably accurate (it's an ak, I get that.), and i've apparently ruffled some feathers. This thread has evolved and branched, as threads do. Arsenal is getting the nod from the majority of those that have weighed in and so I am focusing on it, and asking: is the SAM7SF, with it's forged and milled receiver, bolt, carrier, whatever, worth the extra money over the stamped models from Arsenal, such as the 107r, based on my aforementioned criteria? No, I don't consider being a "cheap ass" to be a legitimate response. I've set a reasonable budget. I don't consider $1k to be oit of line for a working man's rifle.

I've never owned, and fired once, an AK47. I read a lot. And what I've been reading is that a lot of the best AK's have been banned through some means or another, and the newer (mainly American companies) aren't producing weapons worth the sheet metal they're stamped on. So my original question of are there any good AKs left is a legitimate one. Who's putting out, if anyone, AKs that can be held to the original AK's standards. I've decided Arsenal is my best bet, based on responses here. Now i'm determining a model. Trying to keep it around $1k. My budget I've set for it, cheap or not.

Just so we're all on the same page. Thank you.
    Now that you've cleared it up a bit, no, no overwhelming reason to go with the milled Arsenal over a stamped Arsenal, plenty of worth over most any other manufacturers stamped. A quick google came up with sub-$1K ($850)stamped Arsenal rifles in stock.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    For every person saying an Arsenal is worth the mark-up there's just as many saying that it isn't worth the cost. Arsenal, Saiga, VEPR, even a good WASR are great choices to go with (in the case of the WASR, yes you would need to see it to verify it is one in good shape and not a turd)

Again, like a 1911, you can buy a lower priced item, or the high end ones; it's up to you to figure if the cost is worth it. For me, I would go with a vepr or Saiga as those are the best quality, cheapest ones I have gotten.

stamped vs milled is a whole different debate; milled hold up better to rapid firing, stamped seem to be lighter. Again, up to your own preferences.

Top Bottom