• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    stamped vs milled is a whole different debate; milled hold up better to rapid firing, stamped seem to be lighter. Again, up to your own preferences.

Generally, I'd say lighter. I don't think there's much to be done to lighten an ak47 up. But what do you mean by "holds up better to rapid fire?" Standard deformation that reverts to normal when you stop firing, or does it actually begin to warp the receiver and shake rivets loose over a time (break down)?

Again, I'm not familiar with the AK style rifles.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Kreb's was exactly what I had in mind when I said "that isn't a custom" (or whatever I said). Looking to keep it within the 1k range, plus or minus $200, and getting two.

I'd never heard of Copper Custom. Generally I stay away from anything with custom in the title because they tend to be finicky, boutique rifles, far outside my price range. They sound like they're just an AK dealer though? Or an FFL that handles a lot of AKs?

The SAR was definitely something I was looking at a few months back, but as was stated, I couldn't find any that were reasonable. So I'm hearing Arsenal's, NPAPs and The Polish model exclusive to Atlantic.

copper custom is a local gun store.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Generally, I'd say lighter. I don't think there's much to be done to lighten an ak47 up. But what do you mean by "holds up better to rapid fire?" Standard deformation that reverts to normal when you stop firing, or does it actually begin to warp the receiver and shake rivets loose over a time (break down)?

Again, I'm not familiar with the AK style rifles.
    Things like mags dumps, bump fire and full auto (if only we were so lucky) twist stamped receivers, so after many thousands of rounds you wear the gun out. Basically a non-issue for us.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I'm gonna wait a couple more years and sell my legend. I'm done with AK's but that legend is probably one of the only guns i own that was actualy a good investment

I bought a Legend underfolder with the spike bayonet back in 89 - 90. Sold it about 5 years later. One of the worst mistakes selling a gun I ever made. Sold a 4"Colt King Cobra I had at the same time. Never again.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    For every person saying an Arsenal is worth the mark-up there's just as many saying that it isn't worth the cost. Arsenal, Saiga, VEPR, even a good WASR are great choices to go with (in the case of the WASR, yes you would need to see it to verify it is one in good shape and not a turd)

Again, like a 1911, you can buy a lower priced item, or the high end ones; it's up to you to figure if the cost is worth it. For me, I would go with a vepr or Saiga as those are the best quality, cheapest ones I have gotten.

stamped vs milled is a whole different debate; milled hold up better to rapid firing, stamped seem to be lighter. Again, up to your own preferences.

People that complain about the WASRs don't understand the whole sight cant issue. Russian doctrine basically said, that if the rifle is able to be zero'd, its within spec. So I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape about the whole cant issue.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Copper customs is right next to Definitive Arms, right? I used to check Atlantic for 4150s in stock but I lost interest after a few months. Anybody know if you can just drop in on them? Like if they have a store front or is it just a plant? I think those were going for $1k at the time...

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Copper customs is right next to Definitive Arms, right? I used to check Atlantic for 4150s in stock but I lost interest after a few months. Anybody know if you can just drop in on them? Like if they have a store front or is it just a plant? I think those were going for $1k at the time...
    No, definitive arms moved from their old location (florida I think) into the same building as copper custom, they aren't the same company, didn't merge but moving in with copper gives them a much bigger shop and the ability to ramp up production. The store front is copper, but you can talk with the DA guys face to face; I brought in a Saiga and had them check it out.

People that complain about the WASRs don't understand the whole sight cant issue. Russian doctrine basically said, that if the rifle is able to be zero'd, its within spec. So I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape about the whole cant issue.
    if someone really wanted to 'fix' the cant it takes driving out two pins and readjusting the FSB. But canted barrel components are a non issue its a minute of man (okay 2-4 MOA) gun meant to be mass produced and used en masse

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My sight was a little canted on my Egyptian, and Clay fixed it for me as described at one of the first (my first and only so far) INGO AK builds at MCFG. Didn't take him too long at all. Vitamink of course installed my Red Star trigger. He really enjoyed that. I've wanted to come to some other builds, but the lack of parts, plus taking a chance that vitamink might be there and kick me in the groin have kept me from being able to attend. :):

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My sight was a little canted on my Egyptian, and Clay fixed it for me as described at one of the first (my first and only so far) INGO AK builds at MCFG. Didn't take him too long at all. Vitamink of course installed my Red Star trigger. He really enjoyed that. I've wanted to come to some other builds, but the lack of parts, plus taking a chance that vitamink might be there and kick me in the groin have kept me from being able to attend. :):

That's a lot of name dropping there sir. ;)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just giving credit where credit is due. Just about everybody at the build party's knowledge level was head and shoulders above mine! :): It was great having guys so willing to help out. :ingo:

I regret missing that. I had planned to go, but something came up and caused me to not get there.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Because there's so much corrosive x39 on the market these days.... As for non-chrome lined barrels running out faster, anyone who's looking to buy a "budget AK" isn't likely to ever shoot the barrel out. I'll take the accuracy of a non-chromed barrel for what its worth. Furniture isn't AKM pattern, but there is now a ton of M70 pattern stuff on the aftermarket. Other than that, they're more or less parts compatible. Trigger group, magazine, muzzle devices, etc..

:facepalm:

-Chrome lining has nothing to do with corrosive ammo. Most AR's are chrome lined too, how much corrosive 556 do you see on the shelves? It helps reduce friction, thus eliminating wear. There is a reason why every other country that fields an AK uses it.
    -The OP is asking "are there any good AKs left", not that they're looking for a "budget AK". And even if someone is looking for a budget AK, I wouldn't make the assumption that they do not plan to shoot it a lot. And even if it doesn't see much use, I see no reason to choose a product that won't hold up as well, when a comparably priced options is better and readily available. Read the reports from Battle Field Las Vegas and see how the Cugir built products held up in comparison to Zastava.
    -The "non chrome lined barrel is more accurate" shtick is comical to be honest. Even if there is a minute difference between the 2 (most experts agree that there is not), the benefits of chrome far out weigh that of a non lined barrel.
    -You are correct, the fcg and magazine is the same. But the muzzle devices are not in some cases (M92 = 26mm), as well as most of the major parts. I would rather have something that is compatible with the 100 million + AK's from around the world, than an odd ball product from the makers of the Koral.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    :facepalm:

-Chrome lining has nothing to do with corrosive ammo. Most AR's are chrome lined too, how much corrosive 556 do you see on the shelves? It helps reduce friction, thus eliminating wear. There is a reason why every other country that fields an AK uses it.
    -The OP is asking "are there any good AKs left", not that they're looking for a "budget AK". And even if someone is looking for a budget AK, I wouldn't make the assumption that they do not plan to shoot it a lot. And even if it doesn't see much use, I see no reason to choose a product that won't hold up as well, when a comparably priced options is better and readily available. Read the reports from Battle Field Las Vegas and see how the Cugir built products held up in comparison to Zastava.
    -The "non chrome lined barrel is more accurate" shtick is comical to be honest. Even if there is a minute difference between the 2 (most experts agree that there is not), the benefits of chrome far out weigh that of a non lined barrel.
    -You are correct, the fcg and magazine is the same. But the muzzle devices are not in some cases (M92 = 26mm), as well as most of the major parts. I would rather have something that is compatible with the 100 million + AK's from around the world, than an odd ball product from the makers of the Koral.
    And everything you said is why I keep saying over and over VEPR or Saiga. WASR if you're on a budget, converted Saigas can be had cheap still (bought one a few months back for $650) and FM Vepr can be had for $1,300 right now (Copper had or has some) those are my go to choices for off the shelf rifles. I will note, my yugo M70 is one I built, with a chromed barrel.

Top Bottom