Army's new SIGs ejecting live rounds, can't handle standard ball ammo.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Sig Sauer is engraved all over it. They MADE THE PROFIT ON IT. They are responsible for their product.

Did you do the research before buying it and knew that it was not designed or manufactured by Sig? Did you buy it knowing that it was a well know failure prone device? What does the Mosquito have to do with the 320? Did you buy a Cadillac Cimarron?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    C'mon, ejecting live rounds? Sounds like a "tactical reload" to me.

..but two points:

First, I don't know we could reach any conclusions about the M17 and M18 without reviewing the equivalent reports for the competitor pistols.

Second, sometimes business is obtained in nonstandard ways, like when Sterling, Cooper, Draper, Pryce got the Jaguar account.

[video=youtube;g8ATBRGg6CA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ATBRGg6CA[/video]

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Sig Sauer is engraved all over it. They MADE THE PROFIT ON IT. They are responsible for their product.

When you have an issue with a "Colt" 1911 .22 or a .22 AR of "theirs", do you send it to Colt for work or to Umarex?

Back when their were "Marlin" rifle scopes, same thing, send it to Marlin or the real manuf.?

Not saying that they aren't responsible to some degree, but you didn't own a real Sig, like the examples above, you don't own a "real" Colt. After all the years they had their name on the gun and how many issues there were with it, they should have just hired a couple people from GSG who actually made the thing and knew how it operated

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Whew, the hits keep coming.

If all of this had come out earlier, I probably wouldn't have bought my P320 X-Five... which would have been a bit of a shame, as I really like the pistol. I just got it back from the "voluntary" upgrade and the trigger feels pretty good (it was nice before though).

Whelp, I guess I'll keep shooting it until it blows up and kills me. I don't imagine it's accrued any additional resale value over the past few months.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How could such things not be caught in the testing phase?

You assume the testing guns and the issued guns are the same. Sig's QC is sporadic, particularly with the polymers. I can completely believe that a given batch didn't have any issues and the next batch was complete trash. If you get a good one, you've got a good one. It's starting to look like a lottery, though, to get one that shoots point of aim, is reliable, and doesn't fire or fall apart if dropped.

If I had a known good one, I'd not be in a big rush to dispose of it, but I personally wouldn't hop on the polymer Sig bandwagon any time soon. Which pains me to say, I *want* Sig to succeed and to be what they once were. Now what the excel at is life style marketing, not pistol making.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Pieces of **** and Sig knew it and lied to the military at the potential death or injury of US soldiers down range relying on these pistols. Also there was shady business in the Army as well. They knew these were ****.
    Also they are not reliably feeding with hollow points. Who wants one now?
    The military needs to cancel the contract and get Glocks now. Then sue Sig and make them pay for the glocks they had to replace the sigs with.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Pieces of **** and Sig knew it and lied to the military at the potential death or injury of US soldiers down range relying on these pistols. Also there was shady business in the Army as well. They knew these were ****.
    The military needs to cancel the contract and get Glocks now. Then sue Sig and make them pay for the glocks they had to replace the sigs with.
    Definitely seems as if some contracting fraud on the part of Sig, and Big Green Army May have been involved? Be curious to know if any of the Army program managers retire to Sig?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Do we have access to the reports of the equivalent testing of the competitors?

Also, the OP article refers to the testing process, not post-adoption issue. Is there any analysis of the as-issued pistols? The wording varies back and forth from references they make it sound like the initial batch for issue and additional testing. I'm unclear.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Do we have access to the reports of the equivalent testing of the competitors?

Also, the OP article refers to the testing process, not post-adoption issue. Is there any analysis of the as-issued pistols? The wording varies back and forth from references they make it sound like the initial batch for issue and additional testing. I'm unclear.

I believe it's two rounds of testing. The initial selection testing (bid sample testing), followed by ongoing post-selection testing (product verification testing).

The Army conducted bid sample testing from February 16through June 22, 2016....The Army entered into PVT in April 2017 for both the XM17full-size variant and XM18 compact variant MHS pistols

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I believe it's two rounds of testing. The initial selection testing (bid sample testing), followed by ongoing post-selection testing (product verification testing).

The Army conducted bid sample testing from February 16through June 22, 2016....The Army entered into PVT in April 2017 for both the XM17full-size variant and XM18 compact variant MHS pistols
    Was t Sig awarded the contract before all the tests were completed? I thought that was what Glock was protesting.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

I may have read the report wrong but I thought it said the pistols were running well with the "special" ammo which was a hollow point but were having issues with the ball ammo. That seems really bizarre to me and the opposite of what I would have expected.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Sig just seems to need to put out a dozen new models a year in every pattern and color scheme known to man.
    Maybe they should go back to making good, solid, guns. Seems like it's been awhile since they did that.
    S&W did that for awhile under very bad leadership and todays revolvers are a poor value compared to ones 20 years ago.

If you go to a plastic handgun stick to the king.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I may have read the report wrong but I thought it said the pistols were running well with the "special" ammo which was a hollow point but were having issues with the ball ammo. That seems really bizarre to me and the opposite of what I would have expected.
    Youre right, the Sig was/is having trouble feeding BALL ammunition That apparently is manufactured specifically for Sig?

Top Bottom