Army's new SIGs ejecting live rounds, can't handle standard ball ammo.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Which one? lol

Honestly I would not mind issuing the Wilson Combat EDC X9 make the slide longer and give it a bigger grip for something like 17 rounds in the magazine. Those things run like raped apes (and the much complained about grip safety is gone on the X9). But they are way out of the .gov budget so its only a pipe dream.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I agree with most of what has been said in this thread: not properly vetted, corners cut on costs and testing, SIG not making much money on the deal, etc., but I think what SIG was hoping to do was to capitalize on the contract with the public. "If SIG won the Army contract, they must be the best..."

That is all going to backfire on them if they get too much bad publicity. Shame really...

They will fix it and get it right however. I am 100% confident in that, but they *should* have got it right the first time.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    How do you release a pistol for public use without testing it with milsurp ball ammo first? That's dumb. But doing that when submitting a pistol for a military trial is insane.

I'm trying to figure out what would cause this issue. And for the life of me, I can't see how this isn't magazine related. But I'm not a gunsmith. It isn't like they have ejectors. All I can figure is the lips of the magazine are too wide and allowing the round to slip through prematurely or something.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    How do you release a pistol for public use without testing it with milsurp ball ammo first? That's dumb. But doing that when submitting a pistol for a military trial is insane.

I'm trying to figure out what would cause this issue. And for the life of me, I can't see how this isn't magazine related. But I'm not a gunsmith. It isn't like they have ejectors. All I can figure is the lips of the magazine are too wide and allowing the round to slip through prematurely or something.
    Didn't it say this wasn't normal ammo that had been used in the past. It is some sort of new Winchester +P+ special truncated bullet.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Army Responds to DoD Report Criticizing New Sidearm Reliability
    military.com
    https://www.military.com/kitup/2018...port-criticizing-new-sidearm-reliability.html

"The DOT&E report accurately conveys the test results," said Debra Dawson, spokeswoman for PEO Soldier. "It is normal and expected during testing to find opportunities to improve a system."

Lulz. "Opportunities to improve" = make it actually work. PEO Soldier and Sig must share the same marketing team.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Didn't it say this wasn't normal ammo that had been used in the past. It is some sort of new Winchester +P+ special truncated bullet.

The m17 and m18 passed the MRBS and MRBF tests with flying colors using the new ammo. But they flopped miserably with the legacy ball ammo.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The m17 and m18 passed the MRBS and MRBF tests with flying colors using the new ammo. But they flopped miserably with the legacy ball ammo.
    They also failed with the new ball ammo XM1152 according to the article I read. Also, when did NATO go 115gr, or are we just abandoning 124 NATO because of this new whiz-ba..oh crap POS that Big Green HAD to have?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    They also failed with the new ball ammo XM1152 according to the article I read. Also, when did NATO go 115gr, or are we just abandoning 124 NATO because of this new whiz-ba..oh crap POS that Big Green HAD to have?

Thank you for the correction. That is correct.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Meh. I was issued an M9 in the Army back in the '90s and finally got one for myself a couple of years ago. Works just fine. No SIG envy here.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

Premature ejectulation? FWIW my two P320s have been flawless.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Remove all emotion, biases and preconceived notions from the equation, put the objective facts & comparisons down on paper and let intelligent people who have no dog in the fight make a selection and the Glock wins 10 out of 10 times. The Army screwed the pooch and hopefully not too many soldiers suffer the consequences before the situation gets un****ed.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Remove all emotion, biases and preconceived notions from the equation, put the objective facts & comparisons down on paper and let intelligent people who have no dog in the fight make a selection and the Glock wins 10 out of 10 times. The Army screwed the pooch and hopefully not too many soldiers suffer the consequences before the situation gets un****ed.

Actually, the company that delivers the bid 40% lower than the competition wins 10 out of 10 times.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Actually, the company that delivers the bid 40% lower than the competition wins 10 out of 10 times.

There's a bit more to it than the money spent up front, at least there should be. It appears the Army is learning that the hard way now. You get what you pay for.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't know how the Army does business but if it's anything like big business, low price rules the day. As long as it "meets the specs" and there's no previous issues with the vendor, they get the job...and as it sounds like with this issue, they know that usually, the plant that get saddled with the POS will figure out how to make it work. I've could bore you with so many such tales of woe.

Top Bottom