As much fun as a PCC is to shoot, trying to figure out where it fits in.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    308 is 167 decibels. And with a good suppressor 133 decibels. So its still louder than a Rock Concert with a suppressor on it. NFA needs to go bye bye. It was made law by a bunch of men that have no clue about suppressors.

You would still need hearing protection with suppressors on high power rifles.

LOL, I have a lot of respect for you dad, but to think that a bunch of men that have no clue about suppressor are going to change the NFA is just funny.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    LOL, I have a lot of respect for you dad, but to think that a bunch of men that have no clue about suppressor are going to change the NFA is just funny.

That's true firearm ignorance put suppressors in the NFA. Congress is actually more ignorant now than they were then. I guess we lost that freedom for good.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Been eyeballing this thread because I like my PCCs. They are fun. But something got me thinking, what if I was limited on the number of guns I could own. Some people look at this from the standpoint of government regulation or limited resources. But let me throw this out. I have been telling my wife that someday I would like to sell the house and travel, live in an RV. Don’t know how practical this is but a guy can dream. Now we have a situation with limited room. PCC might make the cut. Normally 9mm is plentiful and affordable, takes up less space per round, you can practice at indoor or public ranges, you can shoot steel challenge or USPSA, it can be used for self defense, it might share magazines with your handgun, and they are pretty darn compact. PCC checks a lot of boxes in a single platform.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Been eyeballing this thread because I like my PCCs. They are fun. But something got me thinking, what if I was limited on the number of guns I could own. Some people look at this from the standpoint of government regulation or limited resources. But let me throw this out. I have been telling my wife that someday I would like to sell the house and travel, live in an RV. Don’t know how practical this is but a guy can dream. Now we have a situation with limited room. PCC might make the cut. Normally 9mm is plentiful and affordable, takes up less space per round, you can practice at indoor or public ranges, you can shoot steel challenge or USPSA, it can be used for self defense, it might share magazines with your handgun, and they are pretty darn compact. PCC checks a lot of boxes in a single platform.

Yes you can pull a trailer behind it that holds your reloading room and equipment.

Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood

Makes sense to me. Also, in short range, a 9mm HP is respectable.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Each decibel increase is twice as loud as the previous. I believe that makes it a logarithmic scale but it’s been a while since I cracked a math book.
    So 8 decibels is a huge amount then?
    I have a hearing aid that puts 118 decibels into my ear just to hear sounds. I still need to read lips to help me understand what is being said.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    So 8 decibels is a huge amount then?
    I have a hearing aid that puts 118 decibels into my ear just to hear sounds. I still need to read lips to help me understand what is being said.
    Correct. I probably need hearing aids, but refusing to at this point with kids still at home.
    :D

random44

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    North Central
    I looked into the Ruger awhile back, but just didn't have a good justification for it. I don't think there is anything wrong with them and just wanting one is a good enough reason to buy one in my opinion. For me, there were other guns I wanted before spending the money on one. At the end of the day, I'm sure we could come up with as many reasons to buy one as to not to.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I looked into the Ruger awhile back, but just didn't have a good justification for it. I don't think there is anything wrong with them and just wanting one is a good enough reason to buy one in my opinion. For me, there were other guns I wanted before spending the money on one. At the end of the day, I'm sure we could come up with as many reasons to buy one as to not to.
    When I bought mine I was actually looking for a semiautomatic 22mag rifle. I ran across the Ruger PC Carbine 9mm basically the same price as a 22mag rifle and at the time 9mm was maybe still is cheaper than 22mag rds. + I can reload 9mm. 9mm also has more power than a 22mag. It was bought to take care of varmints around the property. It has fulfilled that requirement without any problems. I have a 1-6 vortex scope on it and it makes short work of varmints within 100yds or less.

random44

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    North Central
    I still would like to pick up the Ruger eventually. I have a couple of 22LR rifles, so I have less need for a 9mm carbine. I almost built a 9mm AR, but nothing was standardized and it was cheaper to just build another 5.56. I see a use for them beyond range toys, especially the Kel-Tec that folds up. For now, there are other guns that are higher on my list.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My bad! 10 dB represents a doubling of sound pressure level:

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I’ve got them as range toys. My friends really enjoy shooting them because they look cool. I don’t think I’d use them as HD as I’ve got other more effective tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I suppose it could be away to shoot one caliber and get the most out of it. Some accept GLOCK magazines, so that's a nice feature if you're a GLOCK owner.

Some people might live in areas with neighbors very closeby, and an errant .223 round might be a huge liability. Maybe a 9mm miss is less of a lethal threat?

Also, they are fun.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne

"As much fun as a PCC is to shoot, trying to figure out where it fits in."​

My wife is in her late 60s, she's all of 5' 4" and is suffering from arthritis like many in that age bracket.
    Years ago she was quite the pistol and rifle shooter and could hold her own on any range under most circumstances. She keeps her .38 snubby close at hand for bumps in the night.
    However... rocking a Glock or other auto loading sidearm is no longer a legit option nor is grabbing an AR for her.
    She does quite well with my Beretta CX4 9mm. It easy to handle, compact, very accurate and reliable.
    If things go sideways and she needs more than five rounds of .38 +P the CX4 with 30 rounds of 9mm HP +P is what she grabs.
    Yes... it is fun to shoot PCCs. It's not always the best option for self defense but sometimes it's the ONLY option. It keeps her in the game and it sure beats a baseball bat.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I bought an AK-V because I wanted a clone of a clone of a Russian Vityaz to putz around with at the range. Fast forward to now, and it sports an upgraded trigger, micro reflex sight, WML, and can. With those add-ons and 35 rounds (or with PSA's mag extension, 50 rounds) ready to go in an instant, the AK-V now lives at bedside.

With long hallways and big rooms in my house, this PCC is easy to maneuver in the middle of a dark night. It's arguably hearing safe, has next to no recoil or concussion or muzzle flash, is accurate, is reliable, and the ammo capacity in those CZ Scorpion swappable mags is great. Bigger than a Glock, smaller than an AKM, this thing fits comfortably and confidently in my home defense role. And yeah, it's still a blast to shoot at the range - indoors or outside, at 10 or 100 yards.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Makes sense to me. Also, in short range, a 9mm HP is respectable.
    It's more than respectable. Name me ONE person who would want to take a hit at 100 yards from a PCC shooting +p+ HP's shot at them. Especially when it's very capable of hitting 8 inch paper plates or steel at that range.

Top Bottom