Avoid harbor Freight at all costs warning.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The only thing I buy from Harbor Freight with some regularity is their cut off wheels and belts for my detail sander.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Most of what I buy from Harbor Freight: Lawn and leaf bags, batteries, tools that I'll probably only use once or twice. Oh and walnut polishing media for my brass tumbler.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not true. I could bring the box to the store, no refund would be issued, I could wait an un determined amount of time for a replacement.
    I understand someone told you that, Where is that posted? On the receipt? That is not what is posted on the website. Call another store and ask for the manager, ask what the return policy is and where that is in writing.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I am not much of a HF fan but I have purchased from them a few times. 15 years ago I bought a small trailer and it just ate up wheel bearings. The bearings were not common and could not be found at auto parts stores. I went back there a few times as I was having problems and they bent over backwards to help me. They went as far as taking bearings and hubs off of unassembled trailers making them useless in order to help me out. If I was in the OP's position I would take the box back to the store and based on my experiences I would expect them to refund my money no matter what they said over the phone.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Unless you absolutely have to have the lock operational I would drill it out, disable it, use the cabinet and be done with it. Sometimes this is the easiest route to take but hey, that's just me.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I understand someone told you that, Where is that posted? On the receipt? That is not what is posted on the website. Call another store and ask for the manager, ask what the return policy is and where that is in writing.

You are correct. It was not posted, or on the receipt. I have 1 store at 45 minutes, and 1 at just over an hour. Mabye I'm more time sensitive than most, but I think I should be able to get the refund from their guidelines at that store I purchased from.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Unless you absolutely have to have the lock operational I would drill it out, disable it, use the cabinet and be done with it. Sometimes this is the easiest route to take but hey, that's just me.

There is a sliding bar in the back of the box that is stuck. I have to be able to get the drawers out to see why its stuck. Even if I drill out the lock that bar would still be stuck.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not true. I could bring the box to the store, no refund would be issued, I could wait an un determined amount of time for a replacement.

Show up with it. I find that person to person interactions go MUCH better than over the phone interactions. I bet it could be worked out in person.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I bought a well pump at menards with a 3yr warranty. Died after a year. I wanted to buy a new pump and have it on hand for my contractor and then being in old one for refund. They said no, had to bring old one in first and then exchange.

I explained how inconvenient that is to me and my contractor and my open well. Took a manager and a few phone calls to get it worked out

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Capture.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/customer-service-return-exchange.html

Looks like you can either call the other store that is a little further away and see if they will accept a return and issue a refund, or wait and see if your chargeback strategy works.

I wouldn't order one online and take back the broken one, as their policy clearly states that they can do whatever they want regarding returns.

If I was a serious user of tools/equipment, I would probably go with something with a little better reputation for quality than Harbor Freight. I've never had a problem with anything I've bought there, but I am just an occasional user of tools. I've got one of their General rolling tool chests and have never had a problem, but someone who uses one for business would probably use it more in a month than I do in a year.

Caveat Emptor

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    More and more, I cannot believe the customer service policies that have become mainstream.

Fast food drive through messes up your order? "Next time you stop in, just let them know that we owe you a free taco" No, credit my card now.

"Oh, we overcharged you on your insurance? We will apply the credit to next month" No, credit my card now.

Most recently--"Oh, your family companion app drops the pairing with the child device when going to/from wifi to our towers? Yeah, that's a design feature. You'll have to get a third party app if you don't want it to do that. I realize it took us 6 hours of web assistance conversation to get this solved ,since we only answer replies every 43 minutes. Is there anything else I can do for you today?"

"Oh, the brand new tool box is defective? Let me call some other stores and see if I can get one sent here or where the nearest one is--give me an hour and I'll call you back?"

Top Bottom