Avoid harbor Freight at all costs warning.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    More and more, I cannot believe the customer service policies that have become mainstream.

Fast food drive through messes up your order? "Next time you stop in, just let them know that we owe you a free taco"

I fell for that once. Went to a Marcos pizza and they screwed up our order. Manager apologized and put a free pie on our account tied to my phone number. Tried to redeem it a month later and was told "what free pie? We dont see nuttin. Oh, that manager told you she would do it? She was fired 2 weeks ago so we cant verify, so no free pizza for you."

I'll laugh when they tear that building down to make room for the I69 project. (its already been closed)

ALWAYS get a hard copy of your freebie and never rely on their systems to keep track of your spiffs.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I was gifted a HF "Pittsburgh" socket set with two ratchets a few years back. Some of those sockets and the 1/2" drive ratchet are still bouncing around in a toolbox, but the 3/8 drive lasted maybe two or three bolts before something broke and I had the world's first fidget spinner.

I've bought exactly one "tool" there and that was a motorcycle dolly which is kinda hard to screw up since it's pretty much just some formed pieces of sheet metal bolted together with some casters on the bottom. Otherwise, the only thing I've purchased there are consumables like tape, staples, etc.

If you need a cheap throw away tool you're probably only gonna use once you're probably better off going to Wal Mart.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    "Oh, the brand new tool box is defective? Let me call some other stores and see if I can get one sent here or where the nearest one is--give me an hour and I'll call you back?"

I would have been happy with that response. No issue what so ever. I got

"Oh, the brand new box you bought is defective, we have no way of ordering you a replacement, so there is no telling when one will happen to show up. We transporting between stores to get you one in. Our policy says you can only return/ exchange at the store you got it, but we cant give you your money back. Yes our website has them in stock, but our website can only ship to your location, not the store."

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    HF's low profile floor jacks are pretty solid. I'm not sure I've bought anything else of significance there. As an old school Snap-on/Mac Tool guy, I've always loved my tools and tool boxes. Husky has really impressed me with their tool box quality. I think I will be replacing my Snap-On and Craftsman combo for a Husky.

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    I've had nothing but good things to say about harbor freight, for my part. Bought plenty of tools that have lasted, like a little palm nailer that I got for under $20 or the impact sockets I needed for some project or other. The table saw I bought burnt out almost immediately and they took it from me with a full refund (could've exchanged, but I had bought the original because of time constraints so I just buckled down and bought a real branded saw rather than exchanging until I got a good HF saw) no questions asked. That said I'm certainly not buying drills or anything I absolutely *need* to work, but overall so long as you understand you're getting iffy stuff you're good.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I purchased a die grinder from them a couple of years ago. Paid the extra $7 for the multi year extended warranty. One day they were running a deal on the same die grinder so bought a second one sans extended warranty. I use one for 2-3 hours before it catastrophically fails, pick up the other one and continue my project. Return the smoked grinder on my way home from work and pay for the $7 multi year extended warranty. Wash, rinse, repeat!

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    HF's low profile floor jacks are pretty solid. I'm not sure I've bought anything else of significance there. As an old school Snap-on/Mac Tool guy, I've always loved my tools and tool boxes. Husky has really impressed me with their tool box quality. I think I will be replacing my Snap-On and Craftsman combo for a Husky.

I second the Husky brand tool box. Bought one specifically my gun schtuff years ago. Definitely less cost but solid.

I have also bought some lightweight tools that are not up to the task. I mostly buy the nitrate gloves.

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    Harbor Freight is good to go.
    Disposables, consumables, loaners, auto edc, the list goes on and on.
    I've never been disappointed with the cost to longevity ratio.
    YMMV

SpydieSig

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 26, 2019
    Lafayette
    Go through their dumpster out back. Its a smorgasbord of free stuff. Dented tool box? Trash. The employees set em out and collect em after work. Go by and ruin someones day about 5 minutes before closing.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Go through their dumpster out back. Its a smorgasbord of free stuff. Dented tool box? Trash. The employees set em out and collect em after work. Go by and ruin someones day about 5 minutes before closing.

WHAT!!?? You're saying they DON'T send them back to the manufacturer for study to improve the product??!!

Purple as necessary.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I second the Husky brand tool box. Bought one specifically my gun schtuff years ago. Definitely less cost but solid.

I have also bought some lightweight tools that are not up to the task. I mostly buy the nitrate gloves.

I have a Husky made top box next to the main box in the shop. It is really well made but I have had it since the mid 90's so I can not say as to current level of quality.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    This is not about the quality of the product. Everyone manufactor without exception messes up, makes mistake's, has products fail. The separation happens when you find out how the company owns up to their mistakes.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    WHAT!!?? You're saying they DON'T send them back to the manufacturer for study to improve the product??!!

Reminds me of how I explain the difference in Craftsman tools in later years vs back in the golden age of tools.

Sears said "we offer a lifetime warranty, we must make them good" back then. It became, "we offer a lifetime warranty, we must make them cheap". They became no better tha HF, sometimes not as good.

Now there is no such thing as a Craftsman tool...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Once again, don't buy crap from the ChiComs to fund their dreams of world domination. If you do you are paying for your own eventual slavery...and that of your children. This includes fish in the grocery store.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Once again, don't buy crap from the ChiComs to fund their dreams of world domination. If you do you are paying for your own eventual slavery...and that of your children. This includes fish in the grocery store.

But think of all the General Tso’s chicken well get!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I dunno who Sears sold them to, but Lowe's sells them now.

Not that I care much as I have a preference for another superior brand that also uses the color red.

Well.not sure who owns who in the food chain but I do know that Stanley, Craftsman, Mac tools are owned by the same parent company and maybe others such as DeWalt since most of the Mac tools cordless drills & impacts are made by DeWalt or so my Mac tools distributor has told us

Top Bottom