• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Another way is to convert one of those USB chargers that fit in the cigarette lighter socket so it fits on your battery. Those chargers will take anything from 12 volts to 24 volts and put out 5 volts USB with various smart charging protocols.
    Getting it to physically fit the battery is the picky part - the wiring is simple.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Another way is to convert one of those USB chargers that fit in the cigarette lighter socket so it fits on your battery. Those chargers will take anything from 12 volts to 24 volts and put out 5 volts USB with various smart charging protocols.
    Getting it to physically fit the battery is the picky part - the wiring is simple.

Thanks, but I'm still stinging from buying the stupid expensive batteries. Sliding one in to a contraption made by a company called Yex-Bur is about as far into experimentation as I want to go at this time.

So far so good on the fan/light/charger. I've had the fan on low for 3 hours and had yet to lose a bar on the battery level. Just plugged in the phone and the battery dropped down to 3 bars.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks, but I'm still stinging from buying the stupid expensive batteries. Sliding one in to a contraption made by a company called Yex-Bur is about as far into experimentation as I want to go at this time.

So far so good on the fan/light/charger. I've had the fan on low for 3 hours and had yet to lose a bar on the battery level. Just plugged in the phone and the battery dropped down to 3 bars.

Initial run of this fan/light charger contraption is looking really good. Fan has run for 6 hours and top-off charged the Note 9 a couple of times. Still showing two red battery bars on a 2.0mah Milwaukee M18.

The fan is on low, blowing on me in my 80+ degree shop. It's a yard from me, I'd have to move it further away, if it was any cooler.

I'm anxious to try out the higher speeds, under different conditions and temps. Also seeing how or whether the charging keeps up and drains battery when using the phone as a jukebox, radio or TV?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Back on topic, this is the trimmer model I got.

I have yet to run into the vibration issue the gent mentions or the clogging in deep weeds. Maybe that's coming with further use and getting into the summer?

I'm very happy with the trimmer, the only downside being the length of runtime. That said, I have 6mah and 5mah M18 batteries. An hour-ish of weed eating does me fine.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe I'm just not smart enough to stay out of the heat?

I ran the trimmer for a 45 minutes in the middle 90's this afternoon. The first battery only ran 2/3 the normal time before giving up. Maybe this is normal for extra warm environments?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe I'm just not smart enough to stay out of the heat?

I ran the trimmer for a 45 minutes in the middle 90's this afternoon. The first battery only ran 2/3 the normal time before giving up. Maybe this is normal for extra warm environments?

Dude, it was nasty hot today. However, I think I read that li ion batteries' capacity/performance increases with heat, though the heat reduces its life.

ETA: yep.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I’m all in for Ryobi 40 volt brushless, trimmer, chainsaw, blower, and pole saw.

My hand tools are Milwaukee M12, so I didn’t feel obligated to go M18 with their high prices for yard tools.

Fell in love with battery yard tools, with a Poulan blower and trimmer, but they abandoned the line, so I couldn’t add more tools, or get batteries when mine died.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I have a Ryobi that runs on my 18v batteries and I love it. I am not cutting bushed up with it, but is handles grass and weeds fine without making me bleed.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I have a Ryobi that runs on my 18v batteries and I love it. I am not cutting bushed up with it, but is handles grass and weeds fine without making me bleed.
    A friend of mine has a Ryobi trimmer and one thing about that system is they make a very cool inflator for tires or anything. He got it as a bare tool for $twenty-something and it works great. I wish EGO made a similar thing but they don't.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    A friend of mine has a Ryobi trimmer and one thing about that system is they make a very cool inflator for tires or anything. He got it as a bare tool for $twenty-something and it works great. I wish EGO made a similar thing but they don't.
    I have a weekend place so it has a small yard. I trimmed trees/brush with the 18v hedge clipper. Edged my trailer/lot with the string trimmer, and ran the blower to clear my walk. All with 1 battery that is at least 5 years old. People knock ryobi, by their 18v stuff has been great for me. It is affordable and good enough for a homeowner.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I noticed the neighbors (late 60's/70's?) were out trimming their way overgrown Rose-of-Sharon with a chainsaw today. It was scary to watch. The alfa-female, overweight, in shorts and no eye-pro was running the saw. She was lopping off 2+" limbs and Mr was catching them as they fell. They somehow escaped without injury. I think that part of reason was the Kobalt battery chainsaw they were using?

Couldn't help but notice, no moving chain until just before ready to cut. No choking, multiple pull cord starting, revving up or swinging around something with a proportionally heavy gas motor. On top of no gas motor noise.

This has me wondering if I shouldn't watch for a Milwaukee chainsaw sale for my own occasional trimming and cutting up of wind downed limbs? Might be overkill, already having my old gas 20" Homelite and a recently acquired M18 Sawzall? I have not tried the Sawzall on limbs yet.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    $329 seems pricy? Wonder what these get down to on sale? Packages offered?

For only 18v? Absolutely. I didnt pay that much for a 40v Ryobi.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    $329 (tool only) seems pricy? Wonder what these get down to on sale? Packages offered?

Wow, that is very expensive. You can get a 56 Volt EGO chainsaw with battery and charger for less than that.

STopaz1982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 14, 2021
    Hendricks County
    My wife bought a Greenworks tiller and we were considering a string trimmer to use the same battery. Anyone have experience with a Greenworks trimmer? Also, where is the E-go made?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Also, where is the E-go made?

I would bet they are made in china but they may be made in other SE Asian countries as well.

Where is EGO?

EGO is part of a global manufacturing business established in 1993, employing over 7,000 people and producing over 10 million units each year, which are sold in over 30,000 outlets in 65 countries worldwide. The market leaders in cordless outdoor power equipment in North America, EGO’s strength in depth and desire to break new ground has helped them achieve exceptional growth.

Pepi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Hartford City 47348
    I've had a Greenworks for years. The only thing I don't like is the line doesn't feed out very well. I also hate how hard the battery is to remove. I can't believe the price increase on these since I bought mine :bash:

Top Bottom