• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STopaz1982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 14, 2021
    Hendricks County
    I've had a Greenworks for years. The only thing I don't like is the line doesn't feed out very well. I also hate how hard the battery is to remove. I can't believe the price increase on these since I bought mine :bash:
    And thank you for your input. The one I am looking at is $165 on Amazon with a battery. (Was $120 something on prime day but......)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    $329 (tool only) seems pricy? Wonder what these get down to on sale? Packages offered?

I noticed this week the chainsaw is down to $299 at HomeDepot. Still considering, but...

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    That time of year again... My gas trimmer finally bit the dust after 14 years of use. Looking to go battery powered and looking at Dewalt just because I've got a few other Dewalt tools. Anyone have this model and give real world review?

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    That time of year again... My gas trimmer finally bit the dust after 14 years of use. Looking to go battery powered and looking at Dewalt just because I've got a few other Dewalt tools. Anyone have this model and give real world review?
    If yoi can get the 60v versions of them, do that. The 60v are much better for outdoor items for power.
    The 60v has changable heads. Trimmer edge hedge trimmer in one

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    First off to be very clear, gas trimmers suck and I would never go back to them for lots of reasons. I'm sure anyone who has much trimming to do will agree.

Noise, weight, carry straps on top of the annual, "wtf will it take to make this thing run this year? How many pulls? What will break or need adjusting/cleaned/replaced?"

After a season and a half of use, I'm relatively happy with my choice of the Milwaukee trimmer investment. Happier overall with the other Milwaukee tools that you get sucked into by investing in that battery platform.

The Milwaukee trimmer works well in most aspects, other than battery life. 20-ish minutes of run time, less if ran on high speed or ambient temps are pushing 90 degrees. :(

Milwaukee sells stupidly expensive bigger batteries. I have not invested in those to extend runtime, as all the deals I've seen to purchase batteries economically are for the 5-6mah batteries.

As mentioned, the Milwaukee platform has great tools. Blower, sawzall, hammer drills/drivers have actually changed the way I do a lot of things.

:twocents:

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    If yoi can get the 60v versions of them, do that. The 60v are much better for outdoor items for power.
    The 60v has changable heads. Trimmer edge hedge trimmer in one
    I agree with the higher voltage for outdoor tools but then it won't match any of his existing DeWalt batteries or chargers. I guess that does open up the choices of brands more.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    I agree with the higher voltage for outdoor tools but then it won't match any of his existing DeWalt batteries or chargers. I guess that does open up the choices of brands more.
    I have lots of 12v, 20v and 60v tools. Around 40 of them now.
    The 60v batteries fit any 20v tool. But the 60v tools only expects 60v batterys.

The dewalt chargers charge all 3 battery voltage. 12v, 20v and 60v.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    When it comes to the 20V-40V-60V debate, I’m currently in the 20V camp with my trimmer, hedge clipper and blower, and 40V with a Stihl chainsaw. At the time, before many 40V-60V options were available, I added the trimmers and blower to my super-Gucci stable of Menards Masterforce 20V tools. I don’t have a huge yard and they do a great job for me. And I’m HORRIBLE with two cycle engines.

So with all that being said, if I were in the position to start over or build up a new outdoor tool collection, I would probably opt for the 40V-60V options just for the run time and power. My Stihl chainsaw is great and I can only imagine that the blower and trimmer would be equally as good.

My buddy has Dewalt and he picked up a 20V pruner which looks like it would be a phenomenal interrogation tool:

1689357718165.jpeg

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    First off to be very clear, gas trimmers suck and I would never go back to them for lots of reasons. I'm sure anyone who has much trimming to do will agree.
    I don't think they suck. I used to have a Craftsman 4-stroke trimmer (was stolen from my garden shed). Was very quiet and smooth running and since it was a four stroke it was easy to start it every season and no oil/gas mix was a big plus. It was no heavier than the 2-strokes I have handled.

I currently use an old corded trimmer I was given but I have borrowed some battery powered ones and they couldn't do my whole yard without at least 1 battery swap.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I have lots of 12v, 20v and 60v tools. Around 40 of them now.
    The 60v batteries fit any 20v tool. But the 60v tools only expects 60v batterys.

The dewalt chargers charge all 3 battery voltage. 12v, 20v and 60v.
    Cool. That is that Flexvolt system they have. Just read about it, pretty interesting. But I went with DeWalt 20V hand tools and EGO 56V yard tools.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Noise, weight, carry straps on top of the annual, "wtf will it take to make this thing run this year? How many pulls? What will break or need adjusting/cleaned/replaced?"

After a season and a half of use, I'm relatively happy with my choice of the Milwaukee trimmer investment. Happier overall with the other Milwaukee tools that you get sucked into by investing in that battery platform.

The Milwaukee trimmer works well in most aspects, other than battery life. 20-ish minutes of run time, less if ran on high speed or ambient temps are pushing 90 degrees. :(

Milwaukee sells stupidly expensive bigger batteries. I have not invested in those to extend runtime, as all the deals I've seen to purchase batteries economically are for the 5-6mah batteries.

As mentioned, the Milwaukee platform has great tools. Blower, sawzall, hammer drills/drivers have actually changed the way I do a lot of things.

:twocents:
    I think the batteries for all the major brands are stupidly expensive.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When it comes to the 20V-40V-60V debate, I’m currently in the 20V camp with my trimmer, hedge clipper and blower, and 40V with a Stihl chainsaw. At the time, before many 40V-60V options were available, I added the trimmers and blower to my super-Gucci stable of Menards Masterforce 20V tools. I don’t have a huge yard and they do a great job for me. And I’m HORRIBLE with two cycle engines.

So with all that being said, if I were in the position to start over or build up a new outdoor tool collection, I would probably opt for the 40V-60V options just for the run time and power. My Stihl chainsaw is great and I can only imagine that the blower and trimmer would be equally as good.

My buddy has Dewalt and he picked up a 20V pruner which looks like it would be a phenomenal interrogation tool:

View attachment 287145
    I've got two categories of battery operated tools. Yard power tools, and hand power tools. We started with an Ego lawnmower that replace a gas mower we only used for places the tractor can't get. So then as we replaced other gas powered lawn tools we replaced them with Ego because they all use the same batteries.

For hand tools, I had an eclectic collection each tool had a different battery. Ridged, Riobi, Makita, DeWalt. I really liked the DeWalt 20V drill I had, so I've settled on DeWalt as the battery system. And have been replacing the others with DeWalt as the need arises. I'm not a DeWalt fanboi. I've owned Milwaukee tools in the past, and I really like those too.

But now you buy into the battery system. Some Ego tools are best in class. Not all of them but I still get the Ego because I've already got the battery. I'd rather have a Stihl chainsaw, for example, but I have the Ego 56v battery system. And these companies know this. If batteries got cheap, they'd still be expensive, so that people have to buy into the whole system.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Since this thread is back…
    I am a huge fan of Dewalt 60v trimmer. The new ones have interchangeable heads. So you have 60 volt power string trimmer, hedge trimmer attachment, edging attachment, pole saw attachment. All are perfect, except the edger I usually have to drain batteries 3x total, but I live on a corner lot on a 1/2 acre.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Since this thread is back…
    I am a huge fan of Dewalt 60v trimmer. The new ones have interchangeable heads. So you have 60 volt power string trimmer, hedge trimmer attachment, edging attachment, pole saw attachment. All are perfect, except the edger I usually have to drain batteries 3x total, but I live on a corner lot on a 1/2 acre.
    Hey. If I wasn't already invested in Ego 56v I might switch to that. Maybe after all the batteries die. I like the idea of interchangeable attachments like that. As long as there's no compromise on the main function. Wonder how their blowers are? Ego's is awesome.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Hey. If I wasn't already invested in Ego 56v I might switch to that. Maybe after all the batteries die. I like the idea of interchangeable attachments like that. As long as there's no compromise on the main function. Wonder how their blowers are? Ego's is awesome.
    I always figure all interchangeable things are compromised.

Top Bottom