• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    We had a Meet and shoot at MCFG in Oct of 2015 with AllenM, Pudly, SSGSAD, and Bigtanker. We ended up back at a restaurant near the Kroger shopping center that had a good Breaded Tenderloin. Anybody know the place?

Local Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2016
    Indy Southside
    Sister's Place on S. Madison has a good tenderloin with a thick crispy breading. Lots of other good choices on the menu. Also, Lyin' Ted stopped in there to eat during election season, but I won't hold that against them.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you are ever near Bedford, Holts in Judah has an OUTSTANDING tenderloin.
    Turn east on Old 37 and drive for a couple of miles to get there.
    It's about the size of a dinner plate and just delicious.

I haven't had theirs but I hear they're good.

Belly Busters and Holts both have vending trailers set up at the various fairs and festivals in the area. Belly Busters is good too, real good.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Right off the bat we have a bunch of confusion going on here.

In Indiana, the "breaded tenderloin" is nothing more than a pounded flat & fried patty that is, in reality, a PORK FRITTER. If it's THIN it's a pork fritter. But, being Indiana, they're generally wrongly called tenderloins.

REAL pork tenderloins are going to be 1/4 - 1/2" thick cuts of actual tenderloin meat and NOT FLAT. Best one I've ever had was the gas station/restaurant in Gnawbone. I'm not at all sure they're in business still. I simply can't tell from driving by the location.

Mrs Glueman lived on the Westside of Indy right out of College. She said there was a place called The Big Oink near Crawfordsville that had a good Breaded Tenderloin.

Anybody ever heard of it? Is it still open?

The place was called Uncle Smiley's. It was on 136 on the far west side of town. Their "tenderloin" sandwich was called The Big Oink. Uncle Smiley's closed a handful of years ago. Declining revenue and an aging ownership.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    People that advertise a breaded tenderloin and only have a fritter should be beaten severely in my opinion!!!

Testify
    I made up a dozen using the recipe in my previous post on this thread and took them to work to share with the guys I work with, feeling justifiably proud of what I had brought.
    One of the guys in the outgoing shift asked where the "fritters" had come from, and I couldn't help nearly biting his head off, saying "These are not fritters. These are real deal tenderloin, damnit!"
    Yeah, I'm a bit touchy on this particular subject, too.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

In Indiana, the "breaded tenderloin" is nothing more than a pounded flat & fried patty that is, in reality, a PORK FRITTER. If it's THIN it's a pork fritter. But, being Indiana, they're generally wrongly called tenderloins.

REAL pork tenderloins are going to be 1/4 - 1/2" thick cuts of actual tenderloin meat and NOT FLAT. Best one I've ever had was the gas station/restaurant in Gnawbone. I'm not at all sure they're in business still. I simply can't tell from driving by the location.
    [...]

QFT

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I was living up in Lafayette back in the early 80's I worked at a brand new restaurant called P.J. Honeycutt's. The owner was a very successful general contractor, but he knew nothing about the restaurant business. While we were getting everything ready to open the restaurant, I saw that he had several beef tenderloins in the walk-in cooler, so I asked him if he'd like me to go ahead and cut some filet mignon steaks. He looked puzzled, so I showed him what I was talking about. He said, "Oh! I thought those were for making breaded tenderloins!" :n00b:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

The place was called Uncle Smiley's. It was on 136 on the far west side of town. Their "tenderloin" sandwich was called The Big Oink. Uncle Smiley's closed a handful of years ago. Declining revenue and an aging ownership.

But a HOOSIER Pork Tenderloin is pounded insanely flat (making them 2x the size of the bun) and heavily breaded. There is a distinction there.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    But a HOOSIER Pork Tenderloin is pounded insanely flat (making them 2x the size of the bun) and heavily breaded. There is a distinction there.

^^^This^^^ A pork fritter is made from ground pork shaped into a patty and breaded I think. Tenderloins are made from whole muscle meat that's just had the crap beat out of it. Actually I like them a little less thin. Tie Dye's are just right IMHO.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am going to have to plan a Tenderloin trip. The Hoosier tenderloin is definately on my top 5 for favorite foods. I do at times make it up to Greensburg and Trafalgar now so that will expand my range a bit.

In Seymour check out Popular Street behind the hospital or Cortland Diner.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    FWIW, regarding the confusion about tenderloin vs. fritter.

A tenderloin is a cut of meat.

pork-cuts.jpg

Fritter, in this case, is basically a method of cooking involving frying something, usually small, dipped in batter.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fritter
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritter

The sandwich starts with a pork tenderloin, pounded flat, and then prepared like a fritter. The result is normally called a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich, but if someone calls it a pork fritter sandwich there is a logic to it. It is also perfectly reasonable to still call it a tenderloin even though it was pounded flat since that is the cut of meat you started with.

Craigh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    AGREED!

If ever in Columbus, try the one at Ziggies (off US31, in Rural King shopping center). My favorite local T-loin.

Thanks,

Craig

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    Big Daddys South Meridian Indpls
    Ice House south West St Indpls
    Edwards Drive in - Raymond St Indpls
    Mels Drive in - Kentucky Ave Indpls

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    ^^^This^^^ A pork fritter is made from ground pork shaped into a patty and breaded I think. Tenderloins are made from whole muscle meat that's just had the crap beat out of it. Actually I like them a little less thin. Tie Dye's are just right IMHO.

We shall have to agree to disagree. But have no fear, their burgers make up for it so I have an alternative. LOL

Top Bottom