• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    Well,some people think I am an arse, so if ya need a video to see for yourself, it could be arranged.:poop::poop:

Last edited:

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Depending on the person trying to purchase the firearm, I "might" be an A$$ and ask to sign a bill of sale. But most of the time a full set of prints and a DNA swab will be sufficient.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    There's negligence, there's apathy, there's ignorance, there's coverin' yer a**, there's being smart about it, crossing the line, being a jerk, and just plain tin foil hat...it certainly runs the gamut :):

Dutch68

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2015
    apt
    Any Originating Paperwork follows the Original Buyer , so you do whatever feels right for you. You do not need to go to that extreme , but if it makes you feel better so be it.
    You are the one in charge here !

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Personally, if the ATF knocks on my door, I want to be able to prove that I completed my due diligence as a seller or buyer. That takes a single piece of paper and some identifying information though video taping the transaction seems extreme. Frankly, I think I would have walked at that request.

The being said, I did recently make a purchase from a forum member and forgot to bring a bill of sale and am still able to sleep at night...I did write down his name and address from his driver's license for my records.

We are just one Democratic majority away from losing the ability to complete a private transfer of a firearm without a background check. Please buy and sell responsibly.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Personally, if the ATF knocks on my door, I want to be able to prove that I completed my due diligence as a seller or buyer. That takes a single piece of paper and some identifying information though video taping the transaction seems extreme. Frankly, I think I would have walked at that request.

The being said, I did recently make a purchase from a forum member and forgot to bring a bill of sale and am still able to sleep at night...I did write down his name and address from his driver's license for my records.

We are just one Democratic majority away from losing the ability to complete a private transfer of a firearm without a background check. Please buy and sell responsibly.

I made up a stack of bills of sale all made out to a guy named mcapo for all of the guns I have sold off over the years.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I understand your sentiment, but would point out that you are only liable for doing what you are legally required to do, specifically verifying that the buyer is a legal resident of the state and having no reason to believe the person is not legally allowed to buy a gun. The law here is very much a 'don't ask, don't tell' sort of thing in practice. That said, what makes you feel comfortable is your business.

I can also understand you thinking about handing political hay to the other side, but as long as a certain gun shop know for boorish late night commercials is selling to the usual group of straw buyers, I really doubt that anything you do with a sale once in a great while is going to make any political difference.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Here's the problem, by going above and beyond what the law requires for butt cover could also be construed as doubt whether you thought the buyer was indeed a proper person able to purchase.
    Another angle on this is keeping written records on what is suppose to be a hobby puts you dangerously close to a business.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Here's the problem, by going above and beyond what the law requires for butt cover could also be construed as doubt whether you thought the buyer was indeed a proper person able to purchase.
    Another angle on this is keeping written records on what is suppose to be a hobby puts you dangerously close to a business.

:yesway:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You are the one in charge here !

Actually buyer and seller are both in "charge". Either can refuse to do businesses with each other.

I understand your sentiment, but would point out that you are only liable for doing what you are legally required to do, specifically verifying that the buyer is a legal resident of the state and having no reason to believe the person is not legally allowed to buy a gun. The law here is very much a 'don't ask, don't tell' sort of thing in practice. That said, what makes you feel comfortable is your business.

You don't have to verify they are a legal resident of the state, just have no reason to believe they are not one. Same as if they are legally allowed to own one.

Solars77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2017
    Hobart
    The only reason for Bill of sale was to prove it was sold. I had been on many forums that said it was a good idea. The dash cam was in case something went bad. Yes I am paranoid.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The only reason for Bill of sale was to prove it was sold. I had been on many forums that said it was a good idea. The dash cam was in case something went bad. Yes I am paranoid.

No reason to be paranoid, you just have to follow the law. The law says the person you sell to has to be an IN resident and you have to have no reason to suspect they're not a "proper person". LTCH takes care of that. Anything more is just not needed.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Whenever I read through these threads, I always understand the polls that say a lot of gun owners support "common sense gun control".

Top Bottom