• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Just bought a CVA mountain rifle for 430.00. CVA40AP was the 40 percent off discount code. A CVA R and D guy said I could share it, so knock yourselves out. Can't wait. Should have just enough time to get comfortable with it before season.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Work has been crazy busy this year. Been hoping to get more workshop time. Here is a French Fusil Fin that I started building. I'll get it finished up one of these days.
    44" octagon to round, .62 caliber/.20 gauge barrel.
    20161127_140256_zpslufy0tyz.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    20161127_214017_zpszrdqqyxl.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    20161127_214044_zpsj7kstcdp.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    20161127_214457_zpsdxiy0e9h.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Any recommendations on flintlock long rifles? I've had this urge for something that would closely resemble what would have been carried by a rifleman in the American Revolution. Prefer something under $800 or so, my only BP at this point is a 51 Navy so I'll have to budget for all the supplies as well. I am currently looking at a couple Perdersoli options from Cabelas, the Blue Ridge and the Kentucky. Wanted to see if there was better options out there.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    As far as production rifles go, I would recommend something by Lyman, either the Great Plains rifle or the Trade Rifle. Both are available in flint or percussion and in .50 or .54 caliber. Both are well below your price point. I started with the Trade Rifle in .50 percussion. Found it to be trouble free and quite accurate. Also, check out Dixie Gun Works. They carry many different brands, styles and prices. Pedersolli has a good reputation but it gives you something to compare against. If you get down to Indy, you are welcome to try mine so you can compare.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Just my 2-cents. You indicate a desire to get a M/L that would be indicative of what was carried in the Revolutionary War? I have been shooting just such a rifle in percussion with my M/L club. It is a Traditions Pennsylvania long rifle. It can be had for less than $800.00. It is touted by Traditions as being approved by the Revolutionary War re-enactors association. It has nice wood and has nicely decorated brass as well. I have only ever seen them in .50cal, but they do come in flintlock and percussion cap. I know that GB has some for sale right now. Again...just my 2-cents. Give one a look see.

FredMcIntire

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Dec 24, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I second the Lyman Great Plains Rifle; however, it may be a little later era than what you are looking for. I think Lyman offers excellent value at the price point they sell for. Pedersoli is pretty much the top of the line for factory made rifles. Patience will get you one at a great savings.

There is a Facebook group called Muzzleloading Brotherhood that is outstanding, IMHO. Lots of great information exchanged there. There is a thread going right now on where to buy a kit and build your own rifle. Tons of good info being shared.

Check out Muzzleloadingforum.Com for information and their classifieds. Once you decide what you want exactly, keep an eye on Gun Broker for ads posted there. I just bought a beautiful Pedersoli flintlock that I can't wait to shoot and hunt with.

Good Luck !

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    RustyHornet, given the parameters that you laid out, I would steer clear of the Lyman Great Plains and Trade rifles. They are great shooters and we'll made but not even close to a Revolutionary War rifle.
    The Pedersoli's that you have been looking at or the Traditions Pennsylvania that Winamac mentioned would be much closer to historically accurate.
    With that being said, I do run across custom build rifles fairly regularly that are in your price range.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    RustyHornet, given the parameters that you laid out, I would steer clear of the Lyman Great Plains and Trade rifles. They are great shooters and we'll made but not even close to a Revolutionary War rifle.
    The Pedersoli's that you have been looking at or the Traditions Pennsylvania that Winamac mentioned would be much closer to historically accurate.
    With that being said, I do run across custom build rifles fairly regularly that are in your price range.
    That is what I'd like to find. I'd appriciate a custom built handcrafted, the way they were back then, much more than I would a production rifle. The safe bet is to buy one like I'm looking at, but that wouldn't be near as much fun as finding a custom one or building one myself.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    The issue is going to be putting yourself in the places that you are going to find something for sale.
    There is an 18th century trade fair in Linton, IN next month. Two years ago, there were several nice guns in your price range that were worth several hundred dollars more than the asking prices. So much so that I wished I'd had a couple thousand dollars in my pocket.
    Then there is the Connor Long Rifle show in Noblesville, in February.
    I see them fairly regularly on trade blankets, throughout the year but a guy can only buy so many rifles. Lol

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    I'll have a table set up at the Noblesville show, again this year. Be happy to answer any questions you might have and/or look at any guns for you and offer any input.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I'll have a table set up at the Noblesville show, again this year. Be happy to answer any questions you might have and/or look at any guns for you and offer any input.

Thanks for the heads up on this event. I've been deer hunting wth a T/C percussion cap rifle since the mid 80s and always had an interest in the older flint locks and the stuff that goes with them. Just never really had any decent exposure to that side of muzzloading.

I think I will bring my son up and check it out.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Thanks for the heads up on this event. I've been deer hunting wth a T/C percussion cap rifle since the mid 80s and always had an interest in the older flint locks and the stuff that goes with them. Just never really had any decent exposure to that side of muzzloading.

I think I will bring my son up and check it out.

dnurk, For what its worth. I like you have been shooting cap-lock with a interest in flint. My wife and I went to this show last year for the first time and it was well worth it. Gained a lot of insight and saw some awesome flints (which were out of my $$$ range) but neat none the less. Met some good folks and they were more than willing to help a beginner like me. My wife even enjoyed it and she is not really in to M/L.

Top Bottom