• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Speedway coffee in the old pots was ok. The new ground as you go coffee is terrible. McDonalds coffee is acceptable but generally only in the AM when it’s fresh.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Very true. McDonald's gets an honorable mention. The same applies to the all day breakfast.

The only plus side for this is the new breakfast bundle of a mcmuffin and coffee for like $3.50.

Its not really ground as you go its instant coffee. I never heard a grinder fire, nor did I have to wait for it to drop into a basket and be filtered.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You have to watch their site and order a bunch during one of their many holiday sales. You can google promo codes for them too. I usually get 20% to 30% off. There will probably be a Valentine's day sale. Almost every "holiday" has one.

You get free shipping on orders over $79 and I'm usually way over that because I order 3 to 4 months of coffee at a time and start paying attention for a sale when I'm down to two bags.

The problem is, buying that much coffee at one time defeats the purpose of buying freshly roasted coffee beans - especially roasted to at/near the end of the second crack. You should still see oil on the beans when you grind them, for optimum freshness.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Not a huge fan of Cabin Coffee, the few times I’ve been there, I think they over roast their beans similar to Starcrap’s.

I prefer my coffee medium dark to dark (at/near the end of the second crack: Full City +, Vienna Roast, etc.). If dark roast means Italian/French, then yes, I agree. My all-time favorite varietals are dark-roasted Guatemalan Antigua and Mexican Chiapas.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I get out plenty, and dunkin coffee is absolute ass

Once again, I'm going to have to agree.

I think the problem isn't the quality of the beans or level of the roast, but the strength of the brew. Most mainstream coffee is brewed entirely too weak. (It should be 2 full/rounded tablespoons of beans per 6 oz of water.)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I prefer my coffee medium dark to dark (at/near the end of the second crack: Full City +, Vienna Roast, etc.). If dark roast means Italian/French, then yes, I agree. My all-time favorite varietals are dark-roasted Guatemalan Antigua and Mexican Chiapas.
    I mean it actually tastes burnt. I like medium roasts and strong, not burnt tasting and pucker bitter.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I load a thermos to keep in the vehicle whenever I'm out anymore. Not paying for substandard java any longer.

I spike my on the road thermos bulletproof style with coconut oil and butter to add a bit more energy boost to the brew.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I load a thermos to keep in the vehicle whenever I'm out anymore. Not paying for substandard java any longer.

I spike my on the road thermos bulletproof style with coconut oil and butter to add a bit more energy boost to the brew.

Add a teeny pinch of salt too. It helps.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I bet you guys put salt on your water melon to huh...…:faint:

What does the salt do.

it takes the edge off the bitterness and enhances the overall flavor.

Salt is a flavor enhancer and does all kinds of cool sciencey things to your tastebuds. In theory if you can taste the salt, you have used too much.

And by pinch, I mean TINY. Like 5-10 crystals per cup. (the goal isnt to taste the salt)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    it takes the edge off the bitterness and enhances the overall flavor.

Salt is a flavor enhancer and does all kinds of cool sciencey things to your tastebuds. In theory if you can taste the salt, you have used too much.

And by pinch, I mean TINY. Like 5-10 crystals per cup. (the goal isnt to taste the salt)

OK this is now a science project.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I worked with a guy that bought cheap coffee and added salt. It still tasted like cheap coffee.

I drink Maxwell House medium. It's not expensive. It's a cheap luxury, but not too cheap not to be.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    In coffee, a quick grind of salt can help satiate your appetite to skip a meal if you like.

I don't use sugar at all, let alone in coffee. The crazy expensive fake sugar replacements I use in other things are always enhanced by a quick grind of good salt.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I worked with a guy that bought cheap coffee and added salt. It still tasted like cheap coffee.

I drink Maxwell House medium. It's not expensive. It's a cheap luxury, but not too cheap not to be.

Its not designed to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Its intent is to round out an overall good cup of coffee. I can tell the difference and I like it. but I still like coffee without it.

If you start with crap coffee, you'll still have crap coffee, just with a higher sodium content. :):

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    The problem is, buying that much coffee at one time defeats the purpose of buying freshly roasted coffee beans - especially roasted to at/near the end of the second crack. You should still see oil on the beans when you grind them, for optimum freshness.

I agree. I haven't noticed a significant drop in freshness from beginning to end of an ordered batch. They use really great packaging. When I cut a new bag open the beans are shiny and wet from oils. I can smell the discarded bag in the trash until I change the liner in the kitchen.

Top Bottom