• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I got my 1st batch for Christmas. Almost gone.
    I ordered on line and like a total dweeb I ordered beans. Duh, Now I am picking up a grinder. Just so I do not waste the beans. Sure did not want to make a science project out of my morning :coffee: but here we are.

Who knows. You might get hooked on fresh ground coffee. You know, become one of those hipster types who keep their portable coffee grinders in their backpacks. Yeah. They wear these little backpacks everywhere. Almost like a purse. :):

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I got my 1st batch for Christmas. Almost gone.
    I ordered on line and like a total dweeb I ordered beans. Duh, Now I am picking up a grinder. Just so I do not waste the beans. Sure did not want to make a science project out of my morning :coffee: but here we are.

i actually prefer the whole beans. When I get to the end of the third bag it’s a bit fresher still. :thumbsup:

I don’t go crazy and carry a grinder everywhere though, I have a grind and brew coffee maker

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've heard great things about Black Riffle Coffee. It had been on my radar for a few years. One of the gun ranges I go to in KY had some on sale so I bought some. I dunno. Maybe it was how or where they stored it. Or maybe it just didn't sell well and it's been sitting around for a long time. It tasted like ****. It was undrinkable. I don't mean undrinkable like I'm a coffee snob and it's just not good enough for me. I do like good coffee, but there was something really off about it. I'm gonna give it another try but I'm not going to buy it from a gun range. Probably best to order it directly.

Could be the flavor. I cracked open my first ever bag of beyond black this am. And its a brand new shipment. Not my favorite. Neither was Red White and Brew. Freedom Fuel is my favorite. They have a LOT of different types.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Could be the flavor. I cracked open my first ever bag of beyond black this am. And its a brand new shipment. Not my favorite. Neither was Red White and Brew. Freedom Fuel is my favorite. They have a LOT of different types.

I don't remember what it was. Seems like it was Freedom something. Maybe Freedom Fuel. I think it was just really old or they stored it in a really crappy place.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    3 stops and no ceramic knob grinders to be found.
    I did get a steel blade unit to see if I really want to go this route.
    No Jamil my back pack has an AR pistol and hand gun in it. :):

Burr grinder not a knob grinder. Man this is one of those Mondays.

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    It was from my secret santa. Man it is really good.

My Secret BRCC Santa was my sister, who sent me MO and Blackbeard's Delight for Christmas. I already finished MO, and am almost done with Blackbeard.

And, surprise! I just discovered a nearly full bag of Black Buffalo beans in the back of my coffee cabinet.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Never tried Black Rifle, but I know it's a little pricey.
    Used to grind beans some years back and had some good stuff that didn't need creamer.
    Been buying Seattle's Best already ground lately and you can drink that stuff black if you make it a little stought.

This is my primary issue. It's $15.99 per 12oz, plus shipping (unless buying through their coffee club). If I'm paying that much regularly, 1) it has to be freshly roasted, and 2) I would prefer that money go to supporting a local roaster.

I'm thinking about giving Cabin Coffee in Avon a try. I want to see if, as they imply, they roast locally. And their beans are $15 per lb - considerably cheaper than BRCC, and without the shipping cost/delay.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Another Question.

Who grinds their own beans. What kind of Grinder do you use and where did you get it.

The only way to drink coffee is to grind your own beans. Use a burr grinder, not a slash grinder (which should only be used for grinding spices, not coffee).

I had a $150 Breville conical burr grinder that lasted me many years. I recently replaced it with a much cheaper, non-conical, but still burr, grinder on Amazon (Secura, $40). Since I travel regularly, and am typically only home on weekends, this is more than enough for my needs. If you're going to be grinding beans on a daily basis, you might spring for something more expensive. I've only had this one for a little over a month, so I'm not yet able to comment on its long-term durability.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    This is my primary issue. It's $15.99 per 12oz, plus shipping (unless buying through their coffee club). If I'm paying that much regularly, 1) it has to be freshly roasted, and 2) I would prefer that money go to supporting a local roaster.

I'm thinking about giving Cabin Coffee in Avon a try. I want to see if, as they imply, they roast locally. And their beans are $15 per lb - considerably cheaper than BRCC, and without the shipping cost/delay.

You have to watch their site and order a bunch during one of their many holiday sales. You can google promo codes for them too. I usually get 20% to 30% off. There will probably be a Valentine's day sale. Almost every "holiday" has one.

You get free shipping on orders over $79 and I'm usually way over that because I order 3 to 4 months of coffee at a time and start paying attention for a sale when I'm down to two bags.

BRCC does have a wide selection and I will admit it can be difficult to read their descriptions and really determine what you're buying. I feel their roast scale is arbitrary.

Still, I love their business model and mission statement. I feel good supporting them.

A few orders ago I screwed up and forgot to enter a discount code. I discovered my error after submitting my order. I emailed them telling them what I had done. Within EIGHT MINUTES they had fixed my screw up and it cost them about $40.

These are the people that will get my business.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Not a huge fan of Cabin Coffee, the few times I’ve been there, I think they over roast their beans similar to Starcrap’s.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Not a huge fan of Cabin Coffee, the few times I’ve been there, I think they over roast their beans similar to Starcrap’s.

That's enough to wave me off. Over roasting was my primary objection to Starbucks long before they started getting political.

I got used to better coffee a long time ago living in Dayton, Ohio. We had two great local alternatives. Boston Stoker and Winan's. I was a loyal Boston Stoker customer for years until they started treating their employees like dirt. Winan's wasn't as easy to get for me so I turned to making my own at home. I supose that's an easier alternative when you just drink your coffee black.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's enough to wave me off. Over roasting was my primary objection to Starbucks long before they started getting political.

I got used to better coffee a long time ago living in Dayton, Ohio. We had two great local alternatives. Boston Stoker and Winan's. I was a loyal Boston Stoker customer for years until they started treating their employees like dirt. Winan's wasn't as easy to get for me so I turned to making my own at home. I supose that's an easier alternative when you just drink your coffee black.

Dunkin is superior to Starbucks. Just sayin.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    LMFAO! Well, I would consider Dunkin to be a medicinal road cup, but I can't stand Speedway coffee. It's weak, inferior to even grocery store fodder like Folger's, and probably brewed with not even the finest toilet water. Then they leave it to burn on warmers that fry what little it had to redeem it to a crisp.

My fiance has recently discovered the iced mocha. She poisons her regular coffee with loads of sugar and French Vanilla creamer so a Starbucks foo-foo triple shot iced mocha is right up her alley. I do sometimes get dragged into one for lack of choice. On an occasion I was dragging so I did order a nitro cold brew with sweet cream. I thought I was drinking a draft Guinness. That's the only thing I have tried there in literally decades I genuinely liked. I suppose if she's buying...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    LMFAO! Well, I would consider Dunkin to be a medicinal road cup, but I can't stand Speedway coffee. It's weak, inferior to even grocery store fodder like Folger's, and probably brewed with not even the finest toilet water. Then they leave it to burn on warmers that fry what little it had to redeem it to a crisp.

My fiance has recently discovered the iced mocha. She poisons her regular coffee with loads of sugar and French Vanilla creamer so a Starbucks foo-foo triple shot iced mocha is right up her alley. I do sometimes get dragged into one for lack of choice. On an occasion I was dragging so I did order a nitro cold brew with sweet cream. I thought I was drinking a draft Guinness. That's the only thing I have tried there in literally decades I genuinely liked. I suppose if she's buying...

Speedway coffee is OK. Or at least it used to be. Back when it was lots o pots being brewed by workers it was OK. Not great, but OK. My last trip was to a store that had what appeared to be an on the fly brew into your cup. The machine APPEARED to be a grind and brew... small transparent hopper of beans on top, etc. But what came out was pretty much instant coffee quality. I suspect they have started chasing the same model that Drury Inn has... a machine that reconstitutes instant coffee into your cup. Because one machine with a supposed grinder full of beans I could choose various roasts. How do I get house blend, dark roast, etc all from the same instantly ground beans as implied in the hopper on top of the brew machine?

Top Bottom