• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I had to travel down to Bloomfield this morning. There is a gun shop on the north side of the square that I have always wanted to take a look at but it is never open when I am in town. To my surprise this morning the open sign was lit up and the lights were on inside. I got instantly excited about getting to go poke around in a different gun store.

I had business at the court house to take care of first so I went through the ritual of disarming myself and securing my weapon in the car before heading inside. I got things there wrapped up pretty quickly and then headed back out to my car, mentally running over a list of what I might buy and how much money I had on me as I will almost always purchase something in a small shop because I like to support those places.

I hopped in the car, unlocked my gun and slipped it back in the holster and then hopped back out. As soon as the few cars on the street were out of the way I was headed over to that little store. When I turned into the entryway there was a big sign posted right on the glass.

NO LOADED WEAPONS BEYOND THIS POINT EXCEPT FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT.

I stopped, let out a big sigh of dissapointment and then turned around and headed back to my car. Its bad enough that I have to disarm myself before I can go inside a courthouse where I am sworn to uphold both the US and the State Constitution, but to have a gun shop try to disarm me?

I respect the shop owners wishes and I didn't try to sneak my gun in there, but I didn't spend any money in their store either.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    wow, thats pretty crazy! i wouldnt support a shop that posts a sign like that either. thats too bad, could be a great shop but i agree with you i wouldnt even find out either.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    the one on the north side of the square?....i was in there 3 days ago and i had my CW45 under my jacket that was unzipped and talkin' to the owner.....he ask what i was carrin'?....i pulled it out and cleared it to let him check it out(never got told to take it to the truck) and had a nice talk about ammo prices and guns....was there for about 45 min's......i never seen the sign...been in there plent of times CC and OC.....nice guy but he don't have much...

next time you go though stop on the west end of town at Holtsclaws....feed store/hunting/fishing store....has a few guns and ammo...

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've been in there. Trust me, you didn't miss much. If you're ever out that way again, the co-op just a little west of town on the north side of the road usually has a few firearms (and no disarm signs).

gunshopgirl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    I have yet 2 receive that phone call.......shame on me 4 putting my safety 1st! consider the sign G-O-N-E.....

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Wait - are you guys really getting upset about a gunshop - a shop that sells firearms - not wanting you, or anyone, to walk in with a loaded weapon?

Really? I fail to see the reasoning. Explain it to me.

Name one non-chain local gunshop in this town that doesn't have that sign on the door?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Wait - are you guys really getting upset about a gunshop - a shop that sells firearms - not wanting you, or anyone, to walk in with a loaded weapon?

Name one non-chain local gunshop in this town that doesn't have that sign on the door?

Tactical Shotgunner

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Still waiting for an explanation.

And I'm PM'ing TSG for clarification.

I usually ignore the signs, never been asked to leave or put my gun in the car so I would go in gunshops that post no loaded gun signs

I was a TSG today and didn't see a sign:dunno:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

My reasoning: I believe in my second amendment right to keep and bear arms. I try to avoid doing business anywhere that tries to take away that right be it a shopping mall, a movie theater or a gun store. I have a right to carry a loaded weapon on my hip; I don't like to share my hard earned cash with businesses that do not recognize that right.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Look, I understand your right to carry, but you don't insist on carrying in a courthouse - and trust me, they get enough of your money. You can't carry a firearm onto an airplane.... are you telling me that you NEVER fly anywhere?

I understand the argument, but I can empathize with owners putting the signs on the gun store door. Its for the safety of the employees. You never shop at Beech Grove? You're missing out. Bradis? Again, you're missing out. You boycott all these places?

Do you really? You boycott ALL the gun stores in Terre Haute with signs?

If you choose to ignore the signs, you're disrespecting the owner of the shop. And that's just not ok.

Last edited:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Look, I understand your right to carry, but you don't insist on carrying in a courthouse - and trust me, they get enough of your money. You don't insist on smoking in a fireworks store - and their prices are stupid. You can't carry a firearm onto an airplane.... are you telling me that you NEVER fly anywhere?

I understand the argument, but I understand the signs on the gun store door. You never shop at Beech Grove? You're missing out. Bradis? Again, you're missing out. You boycott all these places?

I've never been inside either of those, but I live almost on the border with Illinois so it would be a long drive. None of the gun shops around here have those signs, even Gander Mountain will let me carry in their store. Why should I go in a place that won't let me carry when there are plenty of places around here that recognize that gun owners are their patrons?

As for courthouses and planes and such; I don't have a choice. With gun shops I get a choice and the ones that will let me carry inside will get my money.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have to say, if I agreed with any retail operation disallowing my right to carry a gun, it certainly wouldn't be a gun store!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I never really understood gun shops posting No Loaded Guns or No Firearms Allowed signs in their shop. It would seem to me that they would welcome people coming into their shops carrying guns. They are, after all, their customers and the people they make part of their living off of. What kind of message are they sending by disallowing the products they sell in their own place of business? It would also seem that having customers see others carrying guns as a form of public education and reinforcement. I know a couple of shop owners have told me that they have the signs up for insurance/lawsuit protection but I don't know. Just seems contradictory to me. :twocents:

Top Bottom