• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I honestly think that the people in this thread take themselves way to seriously.

I honestly think that many gunshops take themselves too seriously. It makes no sense. Plain and simple. I've yet to see a single LOGICAL reason as to why many gunshops, OF ALL PLACES!, insist on making it perfectly clear that customers are not to be trusted. If I can walk into WalMart, of ALL places, proudly OC my firearm and go about my business, WHY can't I be afforded the same respect in many gunshops?

You may think I'm making a big deal out of this issue. You're damn right I am. Hypocrisy in ANY form disgusts me, and much moreso when it comes from an establishment that sells firearms. It's no different with any store I go to---If I am going to visit your establishment and potentially spend a single dollar or thousands on a single transaction, I'd expect you to respect me as a customer. Otherwise, I will continue to take my business elsewhere.

"Here, let me sell you a firearm. By the way, I don't trust you with a firearm. Keep it in the car while you buy another firearm from me." :n00b::n00b::n00b:

That's my honest opinion.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS: You choose where to shop, but if a shop owner stipulates a certain behavior, it's best to respect it. And I don't have a problem with the signs.

We do respect their request, by not shopping there we are not entering with a firearm. It seems though you have a problem respecting our point of view. I have no problem with the signs, it helps me quickly decide where to and where not to spend my money.
    It's like the cookie guy downtown. He has every right to deny service to anyone he wants BUT I have the right to not spend my money at a place that discriminates against ANYONE.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    No, I don't have an issue respecting the point of view. I respectfully disagree with it, and I've asserted why. I'll respect the point of view by taking my business elsewhere.

I just find it ironic that the one type of store that should respect our rights many times does not. Also, a bit of honesty would be refreshing. :twocents:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    First of all, NOBODY has pointed out that a necro-thread was resurrected after 8 months?? :D

OK, now the serious discussion..
    I, too, would like to hear the reasoning behind saying the sign is "for my safety". If a SIGN could not have stopped VA Tech, or any other shooting that was at a Gun Free Zone, why would it stop it at a gun shop? Heck, it didn't even stop a guy at Gander Mountain in Castleton from killing himself in the store a few years ago, and he wasn't even carrying! He had the ammo in his pocket, asked to see a weapon, loaded it, and shot himself.

So, I guess if a Gun Shop is that paranoid about other Gun Owners, then they should stop allowing handling of weapons as well, to prevent the above scenario, yes? Anybody that walks through the door could have a live round in their pocket, right?

What if a person misses the sign alltogether? Install metal detectors I guess... where does it end? Strip search?

Sure, the above scenarios sound a little silly, but if you look at the big picture, I think they are valid points. Large chain stores, would in theory, have more potential "targets" for NDs, or even intentional discharges, would they not?? So... then why do stores like Cabela's, Gander Mountain, etc allow it and support our right to carry, while the local business, the ones most of us would rather support, try to deny our right?

What gets me is that some of the same people that scoff at other "Gun Free Zones" being really "Unarmed Victim Zones" are the same ones that seem to support it in a gun shop..

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    ? Heck, it didn't even stop a guy at Gander Mountain in Castleton from killing himself in the store a few years ago, and he wasn't even carrying! He had the ammo in his pocket, asked to see a weapon, loaded it, and shot himself.

It was Galyans BTW..... Man I miss that store:(

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I had to travel down to Bloomfield this morning. There is a gun shop on the north side of the square that I have always wanted to take a look at but it is never open when I am in town. To my surprise this morning the open sign was lit up and the lights were on inside. I got instantly excited about getting to go poke around in a different gun store.

I had business at the court house to take care of first so I went through the ritual of disarming myself and securing my weapon in the car before heading inside. I got things there wrapped up pretty quickly and then headed back out to my car, mentally running over a list of what I might buy and how much money I had on me as I will almost always purchase something in a small shop because I like to support those places.

I hopped in the car, unlocked my gun and slipped it back in the holster and then hopped back out. As soon as the few cars on the street were out of the way I was headed over to that little store. When I turned into the entryway there was a big sign posted right on the glass.

NO LOADED WEAPONS BEYOND THIS POINT EXCEPT FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT.

I stopped, let out a big sigh of dissapointment and then turned around and headed back to my car. Its bad enough that I have to disarm myself before I can go inside a courthouse where I am sworn to uphold both the US and the State Constitution, but to have a gun shop try to disarm me?

I respect the shop owners wishes and I didn't try to sneak my gun in there, but I didn't spend any money in their store either.

Both of the gun stores closest to me have similar signs. However in both shops I have OC'd and even unholstered and unloaded to hand my gun to another customer or employee to look at (possible sale and just general interest) without any issue. They watched me unload and then reload in the store right in front of them and gave me no problems. I guess my point is I wouldn't be afraid to carry into a place like that and if I was asked to leave then I would file a complaint.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunately they don't let me post videos in purple. And profanity warning has been applied.

I honestly think that the people in this thread take themselves way to seriously.

You think?

Local gun shop. Two guys walk in with knives, yeah, no kidding. One perp takes the owners gun away from him (supposedly that could never happen to some people on here). Perp takes away owner to waste him. Owner grabs hidden gun and shoots both perps in the head.

Now don't you think that the owner would not like to have to watch his back, or maybe even shoot the wrong guy if something went down and you pulled your weapon? After all, the owner might not be able to discern between you and a BG during a SHTF situation like the one above. After all, gun stores are prime targets for robberies.

If you feel unsafe in a gun store where the owner and workers are carrying, maybe you should stay home.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    You think?

Local gun shop. Two guys walk in with knives, yeah, no kidding. One perp takes the owners gun away from him (supposedly that could never happen to some people on here). Perp takes away owner to waste him. Owner grabs hidden gun and shoots both perps in the head.

Now don't you think that the owner would not like to have to watch his back, or maybe even shoot the wrong guy if something went down and you pulled your weapon? After all, the owner might not be able to discern between you and a BG during a SHTF situation like the one above. After all, gun stores are prime targets for robberies.

If you feel unsafe in a gun store where the owner and workers are carrying, maybe you should stay home.

...and a SIGN would have stopped this...HOW?:dunno:

You are totally missing the point here. It isn't about feeling safe, it is about having the right to carry a gun, and a GUN store wants to limit that right. Get it?

I feel TOTALLY safe in BGFirearms because of the location, the great guys working there, and the fact I trust them. That being said, I still wouldn't like the idea of being disarmed there either..

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    You think?

So what you are saying is I need t trust that the CLERK has the proper training to defend both himself and me in a shtf situation?
    You forgot one important part of the incident you mentioned. The bad guy tried several times to shoot the owner but was too stupid to figure out how to use the gun. The shop owner was saved by ignorance not skill.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    ok guys i see both sides to this "discussion" i am a gun owner AND a employee of a gunshop, can you trust most of the people who own gun ...yes you can.... are there some morons who own guns yes there are!

i will tell you of the story that almost got someone killed (and did cause me to change my underwear)

one saturday at work a man and his wife come in to buy a gun (phoenix 22 semi auto) i grab the paperwork for the wife to fill out....while she is filling out the yellow form i turn around to get a pen for her and i hear her redneck inbred moron of a husband say i bought this here yesterday...as i turn back around i see a .357 magnum loaded with 157 grain semi jacketed hollow points pointed right at me!(yes i could see the bullets) hes very lucky i froze or he would have seen 2 of my 115 grain hydra shock bullets going right for his center mass!

so is it right for a gun shop owner NOT to trust everyone how comes in his door? what happens when the inbred redneck moron accidentally pulls the trigger? and shoots someone? either a employee, a customer or a child in with their dad?

have you ever been a gunshop with a hole in the ceiling?
    does the owner of the shop get sued cause a ad hits a customer?
    how would you like to have a loaded gun pointed at you?

like i said i see both sides to this argument i want to be safe both on the street and at work? so do i avoid gunshops with the no loaded weapon sign? no! i go in its a free country i dont have to go in if i dont want to go in

that said we dont have a "no loaded gun" rule at the shop i work at. so step in with your loaded gun we dont care, JUST USE COMMON SENSE!

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    If you feel [STRIKE]unsafe[/STRIKE] infringed upon/distrusted in a gun store where the owner and workers are carrying, maybe you should [STRIKE]stay home[/STRIKE] spend your money at a shop that supports the 2nd Amendment.

FIFY.

That being said, I don't mind signs that request handguns be left in their holsters at all times. I DO find it to be WRONG when a gunshop, of ALL PLACES, takes it upon themselves to spit in the face of the 2nd Amendment. :twocents:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    You think?

With me it isn't about feeling safe or unsafe, it is about making a political and an economic statement. Gun shops that don't let me carry inside won't make any money off of me.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    For those of you who own gunshops or work in shops that disallow carry for your customers... you seem to criticize the bubba who points a loaded gun at you but you have no qualms about selling it to him in the first place? Do you turn away his business for future purchases? Just curious.

Top Bottom