• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Oh - no. I think he's saying that the guy walking up to the car on the driver's side is a good way to get clipped... by the driver moving away at a healthy pace.

Ah, well that makes sense. I thought he was talking about me there for a second :nailbite: ...I thought I might be on the way to my very first infraction!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    So here's a question (or 3). Other than blocking traffic, what crime do we have RAS for?

Did he point the gun at her? Is there an allegation that he communicated a threat to her?

The behavior in that pic would likely be enough for me to respond with deadly force... in the form of gratuitous use of gas pedal. There’s no reason for someone to block my vehicle, get out, and approach me with gun in hand.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    If it wasnt for the plate number itd be hard to find him. Hes got the generic fud look going on. Standard greaseball apparel, picking him out in a crowd would be like trying to find a stolen white Honda civic.

Id say the lady shoulda smoked him, but she may have totalled her car in the process.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The behavior in that pic would likely be enough for me to respond with deadly force... in the form of gratuitous use of gas pedal. There’s no reason for someone to block my vehicle, get out, and approach me with gun in hand.

Oy vey - this is the shade of threads past! :)

I don't really disagree. But, that's an answer to a different question: would self defense of the deadly kind be justified.

I'm more curious about what crimes have been committed. That is the important question for LEOs getting involved.

There's always room for shoulda coulda woulda. But, LEOs are going to be constrained by what the law actually is and the events that are actually described.

ETA:
    In a bit of an INGO-infinite-loop/singularity event, if the guy was approaching her "to see if something was wrong" while open-carrying (in his hand) and she drove at him such that he was in fear of his life, would he have been justified in shooting at her?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

I don't really disagree. But, that's an answer to a different question: would self defense of the deadly kind be justified.

I'm more curious about what crimes have been committed. That is the important question for LEOs getting involved.

There's always room for shoulda coulda woulda. But, LEOs are going to be constrained by what the law actually is and the events that are actually described.

I’d imagine intimidation/threat if forceable felony would apply.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

ETA:
    In a bit of an INGO-infinite-loop/singularity event, if the guy was approaching her "to see if something was wrong" while open-carrying (in his hand) and she drove at him such that he was in fear of his life, would he have been justified in shooting at her?

Regardless of whether anyone technically committed a crime, a good LEO will appreciate information on unusual/suspicious activity in his or her patrol beat/district. Today's "not technically a crime" could be valuable information in tomorrow's road rage shooting.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    ETA:

Gun in hand is not “open carry”. Try not to lawyer this up too much.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I’d imagine intimidation/threat if forceable felony would apply.

Are you familiar with Indiana law on that topic? It isn't as intuitive as many people think.

The good news is that, there does appear to be a 'prior lawful' act, that is - going slow. (I might have the exact expression wrong, but it is something like that.)

The awkward thing is a "threat." There has to be a communication of a threat. "I keel you." or "I'll kick your donkey." Something like that.

I haven't read of the guy actually communicating a threat to the lady.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

... guy blocks her path and approaches her with a gun.... Juror printcraft votes she gets a pass on making him a speedbump.

ETA:

Something something something kirk freeman says citizen vs. people dripping with blanket immunity.
    With those "facts" I'm on the side of no. You can see if something is wrong without having your gun out.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Regardless of whether anyone technically committed a crime, a good LEO will appreciate information on unusual/suspicious activity in his or her patrol beat/district. Today's "not technically a crime" could be valuable information in tomorrow's road rage shooting.

I don't disagree.

I see this as an opportunity to help people understand the intersection (pardon the pun) of the law and society.

Gun in hand is not “open carry”. Try not to lawyer this up too much.

First, it isn't just a job, its really more a matter of who I am. :)

Second, I thought we weren't into chastising fellow gun owners about lifestyle choices like manner of carry. ;)

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Hopping out of a car with a drawn pistol would probably not be considered "open carrying" to any reasonable person. People don't hop out of their cars with pistols drawn to "see if someone is ok."

Totality of the circumstances, and all that.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

Let's say an officer looks up from their facebook feed after seeing that post and sees that exact car driving around town. Can the officer pull the vehicle over?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

Let's say an officer looks up from their facebook feed after seeing that post and sees that exact car driving around town. Can the officer pull the vehicle over?

Yep. Just as soon as he goes left of center or fails to use his turn signal. :)

Top Bottom