• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Trust me bro, most the guys who have "made it big" made it because their seat is practically bought. To "make it big" you have to go to a team with sponsorship dollars in hand and in some cases the driver has to put some skin in the game too. There is a reason drivers have a whole marketing team working for them exclusive from what the team owner has. Very rarely does a driver land a gig based solely on skill...almost never.
    I have known many drivers as good or better than many who "made it big" in terms of their skill set. This is in large part why so many cup drivers are so young, its all about marketability

I agree that is what it has become in the last few years. I know the Waltrip, Green and Mayfield families and I can assure you they didn't bring money or a sponsor to a team. Even though Darrell could have easily put Michael in a good ride he never did.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    [FONT=&amp]
    Mullets...

Ryan Blaney

Well another off season finished means this mane is finished.
    1f487-1f3fb-200d-2642-fe0f.png
    [/FONT]

DxDZtKvVYAEM2_K.jpg

[FONT=&amp] Ryan BlaneyVerified account @Blaney Jan 16More

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Well. About 5 pounds later..
    1f981.png
    no more.
    [/FONT]

DxEICwyU0AEABXr.jpg

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree that is what it has become in the last few years. I know the Waltrip, Green and Mayfield families and I can assure you they didn't bring money or a sponsor to a team. Even though Darrell could have easily put Michael in a good ride he never did.

Granted the drivers of yesteryear did things differently. The young prettier more marketable driver concept really started to take off when Gordon moved up to the cup series.
    If you want to shake your head at some of the marketing bs that goes on in racing of all forms, go sit through a marketing and sponsorship seminar at PRI. I walked out thankful to be a little guy doing it for fun and with passion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Granted the drivers of yesteryear did things differently. The young prettier more marketable driver concept really started to take off when Gordon moved up to the cup series.
    If you want to shake your head at some of the marketing bs that goes on in racing of all forms, go sit through a marketing and sponsorship seminar at PRI. I walked out thankful to be a little guy doing it for fun and with passion.

Passion. You hit the nail on the head.
    For the love of the sport.

Not posting in the wrong thread just saying, :):

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I read on Jayski yesterday that Jay and the entire staff were let go by ESPN. They said they are not sure what the fate of the site is. I have been reading Jayski for 15 years, the last year or so has stunk since ESPN took it over. It was the best place for NASCAR news and rumors.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I read on Jayski yesterday that Jay and the entire staff were let go by ESPN. They said they are not sure what the fate of the site is. I have been reading Jayski for 15 years, the last year or so has stunk since ESPN took it over. It was the best place for NASCAR news and rumors.

ESPN has been stinking it up everywhere they go.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

Wow, that really sucks. Jayski was where to go for NASCAR news. One more reason to pay less attention to NASCAR.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My brother just dropped a link to this video on another forum and I had to share here. Back when NASCAR was great because it was filled with great personalities like Marty Robbins:

[video=youtube_share;KUVH5irl66M]http://youtu.be/KUVH5irl66M[/video]

Top Bottom