• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    My dad was ready to win Talledega running for Penske when Grant Adcox rear ended him in the pits and a crewmember lost both legs. They were using the pit lane with puddles after a rain delay and Adcox hit one and lost it.

Can’t say I like everything about how racing has evolved but some of it ensures more people are around longer to enjoy and participate.

Back when dad ran Indy for Menard those Lolas had tiny do-nothing brakes on them and there was no speed limit in the pit lane. Pitstops were downright hairy.

Btw, if your Dad is Gary B, I was always a big fan of his. He was the epitome of my idea of a real racer. He hung it out in those Menard Buicks like nobody else. I used to sit where we could watch cars slide through the turns in practice and qualifying, and he always ran like it was lap 199. What a thrill he was to watch!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My dad was ready to win Talledega running for Penske when Grant Adcox rear ended him in the pits and a crewmember lost both legs. They were using the pit lane with puddles after a rain delay and Adcox hit one and lost it.

Can’t say I like everything about how racing has evolved but some of it ensures more people are around longer to enjoy and participate.

Back when dad ran Indy for Menard those Lolas had tiny do-nothing brakes on them and there was no speed limit in the pit lane. Pitstops were downright hairy.

I was standing in the lane 1st day of Qualy's and Vookie III came smoking past us backwards and gathered up Micheal A's car and bounced a couple of crew members. A miracle no one was seriously hurt.
    Dean hall came in hot during the race and ran over his right front sitting in wait for the stop. He straddled the wall and ran all the way through our pits into the pits past us. I had just got up off the wall.
    Anyone that thinks pit crew work is easy......:):

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Btw, if your Dad is Gary B, I was always a big fan of his. He was the epitome of my idea of a real racer. He hung it out in those Menard Buicks like nobody else. I used to sit where we could watch cars slide through the turns in practice and qualifying, and he always ran like it was lap 199. What a thrill he was to watch!

Guilty as charged and thanks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

He was a hoot to work for as well......:thumbsup:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    So much for this race, BTW...

The no smoking in the pits rule at Indy had exclusions if you were within a 10-foot radius of Mike Devin, Tom Binford, or my dad. He even had Penske put a cigarette lighter in the AMC Matador after he caught David Pearson smoking on a yellow at Daytona.

607A3C7A-9343-43B3-B2A5-4DE117C0150A.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

The no smoking in the pits rule at Indy had exclusions if you were within a 10-foot radius of Mike Devin, Tom Binford, or my dad. He even had Penske put a cigarette lighter in the AMC Matador after he caught David Pearson smoking on a yellow at Daytona.

Now THAT is funny! :):

"We're gonna take right sides only and a splash of fuel. Oh and I'm outta smokes. Somebody get me a pack!"

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

View attachment 74591

That is one of the things I loved about your Dad! Lol! Old school, baby!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Duals-2-14-19.png

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You know, Zippo should've sponsored one of those guys. Can you imagine the commercials for their lighters? "Our windproof lighters even work at 200 mph!"

My childhood pal Billy Vukovich III (who I named my son after) was sponsored by e-z-wider one year. Free rolling papers for everyone!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That is one of the things I loved about your Dad! Lol! Old school, baby!

He drove our Midget at the Hoosier dome invitational. He was the lone driver with an Open face helmet. I asked him why and he just smiled and said "How can I m***** F*** Those butt holes with full face. They need to see it.

He was an individual unto himself.
    Tried to drink with him once........Once.

Top Bottom