• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Take them to a cobbler and have the sole replaced if there’s still life in the upper. Those are cheap imports, but they at least have a Goodyear welt that will allow you to replace the sole instead of having to replace the whole boot.

And if you learn how to clean and protect your boots, the upper should last at least a few soles.

I bought a pair of Caterpillar Alaska boots back around 2000 and they lasted me wearing them almost every day until a year or two ago when a sole broke off. I thought they were plenty comfortable and they looked good and are offered in a few colors. They weren't steel toe but they did have the non-slip grip on them until they got so worn down after years of use. I don't know if the new boots will last as long as the old ones but mine were getting torn up/scratched so if you need to keep them nicer all the time you will want to replace them more often. Mine were brown and worked well with khakis and jeans both. I still have the boots since I couldn't bear the throw them away but I'd like to pick up another pair sometime.

https://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-Mens-Alaska-Work-Boot/dp/B007VN2VU6

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    As a side note.....all of the people saying redwing (or insert other company) has gone downhill and no longer makes good boots.....they’re buying the cheap Chinese $80 piece of **** throw away Walmart specials. They still make good boots. The good ones don’t cost $80. The good ones are US made with quality full grain leather and a Goodyear welt.

It sucks that the market is forcing quality boot manufacturers to essentially have two levels of boots (quality US made and cheap Chinese ****). It taints the brands and confuses people that don’t take the time to learn what quality is and what to look for.

Had my brother just tell me today that redwing only makes junk these days. Some people just don’t know ****.

QFT

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I ran into a pair of Sketchers all leather waterproof boots last winter. I was skeptical at first. But they turned out to be a pretty dam good pair of boots.

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    Take them to a cobbler and have the sole replaced if there’s still life in the upper. Those are cheap imports, but they at least have a Goodyear welt that will allow you to replace the sole instead of having to replace the whole boot.

And if you learn how to clean and protect your boots, the upper should last at least a few soles.

That’s part of the reason I kept them. I thought about getting them fixed and using them more. They could use some treatment on the leather and some TLC.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Homeowner claims adjusting? You looking for a boot that you can wear on a roof as well, or do you have Cougar Paws for that? Thorogood and Duluth both make a very nice looking boot that can be worn and grips roofs pretty good. Duluth roofing boots are very tough, but but don't grip

Definitely don't have Cougar Paws. Anything over 13' 6", I don't mess with. I genuinely have a fear of "landing", falling I can handle.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We should keep topics like this going all the time since all of us need or wear boots at least some of the time. Those of us with Fred Flintstone feet (very wide and very high vamps) have additional challenges since even the makers who still sell boots constructed the way we want with soles that work for us rarely make widths wider than EEE. A few do 4E and 5E, but the choices are limited. If you need 6E, the choices beyond Drew or the house brand at Hitchcock pretty much do not exist.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Took my daughter sledding today for her very first time(2 years old). Wore my 400g Acadias, with very thin Smartwool socks, feet stayed toasty warm, if not a little too warm, maybe should have went with 200g? Totally waterproof, and plenty of grip for the climb up the ridge at Hummel Park.

PUalum04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Hope
    We should keep topics like this going all the time since all of us need or wear boots at least some of the time. Those of us with Fred Flintstone feet (very wide and very high vamps) have additional challenges since even the makers who still sell boots constructed the way we want with soles that work for us rarely make widths wider than EEE. A few do 4E and 5E, but the choices are limited. If you need 6E, the choices beyond Drew or the house brand at Hitchcock pretty much do not exist.

Have you tried White's? They cater to the logging industry but supposedly build the boot to your foot.

https://whitesboots.com/#/home

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I know Danner makes what they call 4E xxWide in the Standard Acadia, but not sure of anything else in gargantuan size?

woodwalker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Brownstown
    Milroy boots between Greensburg and Rushville have a good selection of different manufacturers. I bought a pair of Danners 2weeks ago and they were 50 dollars cheaper than the danner website

Top Bottom