• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I agree you have every right to have a gun. I want everyone to exercise that right but I guess I am just too polite of a person to pull that. I understand that he shouldn't have been dressed like a less than desirable person. The thing I hate is that these people don't hang signs out for you to see but they get so uptight about you having a gun in their store. I apologize and didn't mean to call you a dick or anything but like I said I am just a polite person and wouldn't have acted in that way.

XD, in this case I don't see what he did wrong? I didn't hear where the young man said, "Excuse me sir, can I please speak with you, just for a moment, when you have completed your purchase?" He could have then taken him to the side, out of earshot and the embarrassment of being called out.

The LP is there to PREVENT LOSS, I didn't know they were there as security, but I may be wrong. But, either way, he was acting as a representative of the store and should have acted accordingly. We do not have to support businesses who do not support us. But, to each his own.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    O RLY?

Would you be ok if the store had signs outside saying "No n******" or "No seniors"?

Do you just go through life trying to please everyone, no matter the obscenity of their requests?

Whats wrong with having a little back bone and sticking to your morals? Thats what the hell is wrong with this country today. Not enough people telling someone to **** off and stand their ground.

Good job OP. Thanks for sticking up. I will never shop at that Kroger.

Dude I have been fighting a physical disease my entire life. I know when to stand up and say **** off, trust me. I stick to my morals quite well. WHen someone asks me to drink I say no, same with cigarettes and other smokeable things. I mean hell, I already walk bad enough why do I need to drink or get high or smoke a cigarette and make it hard to breathe. **** that, I want to be here as long a possible.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    XD, in this case I don't see what he did wrong? I didn't hear where the young man said, "Excuse me sir, can I please speak with you, just for a moment, when you have completed your purchase?" He could have then taken him to the side, out of earshot and the embarrassment of being called out.

The LP is there to PREVENT LOSS, I didn't know they were there as security, but I may be wrong. But, either way, he was acting as a representative of the store and should have acted accordingly. We do not have to support businesses who do not support us. But, to each his own.

I am going to look into the Kroger thing more but I have seen a few Kroger threads on here before and want to know the policy behind it. As for the guy I know here. He wears his name tag and title on his neck. Yeah the dude should have been more polite to him as well and i should have also worded that differently as to not make you guys think I am a complete dick and on his side.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I am going to look into the Kroger thing more but I have seen a few Kroger threads on here before and want to know the policy behind it. As for the guy I know here. He wears his name tag and title on his neck. Yeah the dude should have been more polite to him as well and i should have also worded that differently as to not make you guys think I am a complete dick and on his side.

Anything can be taken the wrong way on the internet. Let us know what you find out from their HQ.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    You have every right to support anti-gunners, and others who do not respect the rights of Americans.

Technically, anyone living in Speedway, paying property taxes to the same municipality that takes this approach, or shopping in Speedway is doing that too. One of the reasons I moved out of Illinois with no intention of going back, among others.

Aside from that, good call. If they don't want your money, they can pound sand.

I would be curious to know if this is corporate policy or if it's just some wannabe LP tough guy unilaterally being a tool.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The OP did the right thing. I would have voiced my opinion and done the exact same thing. He did a very good job. He wasn't being a dick at all. The situation from the Kroger dude should have been handled a lot different. I think that next time anyone is approached by someone at Kroger, you should get his info and report him.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Just say.. "I'm not with the police department if that is what you mean"

Technically you are being truthful.

:D

Or you could have just shot him a dirty look and then ignored him entirely.

One might have to respond to a LEO's questions, but not a security guard.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Never knew it was against the law to conceal carry in Speedway.

Yup, it's one of the vagrant/transient laws from the 60's and 70's. From what I hear it's not enforced, but I'd rather play it safe and open carry while in town.

9.08.020 Concealed unlawful.
    It is unlawful for any individual to carry a concealed firearm within the town limits. (Ord. 358 § 2, 1966).

Speedway, IN Municipal Code

Last edited:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I was OCing in the Marsh in speedway a month or so ago. They also have a guard but the marsh one was Armed. He came up to me at the deli counter and asked about me OC'ing my gun. Asked about the laws and what kind of gun it was. Pleasant experience.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I'm with you here OP, but what are you going to do when Marsh tells you to hit the street? Don't think that Marsh somehow supports 2A, they just haven't bothered to heckle you yet. I am not saying you should be doing anything different, I am just saying that you might end up on a hunger strike unless there is a mom-and-pop grocery store near you-- because none of the major chains, that are corporately owned, are going to defend 2A. You might be lucky enough to have some that don't accost you, but first time it matters, they will throw your right to carry under the bus and never give a second thought to your $300 a month.

I really am on your side here, I think you got the shaft. Just please don't have the false impression that Marsh or whoever else is on your team- they aren't. It may eventually boil down to following laws and ignoring their rules. If you feel that property rights trump 2A, then farming may also be a viable option.

I don't know what the solution is, but gun owners trying to "bleed" local businesses, while noble, is unlikely to have significant effect. I hope I am wrong.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I'm with you here OP, but what are you going to do when Marsh tells you to hit the street? Don't think that Marsh somehow supports 2A, they just haven't bothered to heckle you yet. I am not saying you should be doing anything different, I am just saying that you might end up on a hunger strike unless there is a mom-and-pop grocery store near you-- because none of the major chains, that are corporately owned, are going to defend 2A. You might be lucky enough to have some that don't accost you, but first time it matters, they will throw your right to carry under the bus and never give a second thought to your $300 a month.

I really am on your side here, I think you got the shaft. Just please don't have the false impression that Marsh or whoever else is on your team- they aren't. It may eventually boil down to following laws and ignoring their rules. If you feel that property rights trump 2A, then farming may also be a viable option.

I don't know what the solution is, but gun owners trying to "bleed" local businesses, while noble, is unlikely to have significant effect. I hope I am wrong.

Then I'll shop at wal-mart, or target which are outside of Speedway, I'll conceal, and they'll never be the wiser as when I shop there now.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Had a similar experience at the Kroger at Pleasant Run & Southeastern. Was on my way to the gun shop and normally don't shop there, definitely don't go in there without a gun.
    Since I was on my way to work I was dressed with my gun unconcealed but had thrown a jacket on over it. Must have had the jacket shift somewhere in the store because right after I swiped my debit card on the self checkout I was approached and asked pretty much the same as OP. Was asked to leave it in the car next time or don't come back in. Told them thank you I won't be back, took my receipt and items and walked out.
    Haven't been back, prefer to drive out of my way then go there again.

RedDot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    Speedway kroger is anti-gun.

I tried to get to you before you got up front, but could you leave your gun in your car from now on"

I know this kroger has nothing posted about guns not being permitted in the store- Yeah stupid to keep legit gun carriers out of the store when an armed robbery happens... "Um sir can you please leave your stolen gun in your car the next time you rob this store..."

Having a sign up is much more clear than paying some "undercover kroger cop" to break the news.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    huh, maybe its something with the self-checkouts? OP, good job, you handled it well. XD, if you think josh was a dick you wouldn't have wanted to see my reaction. i probably would have thrown the cart across the store. not so much out of dispute over my unconcealed firearm, but no sh!thead kid should be calling out anyone. i would expect an agent of the store to be dressed properly and be easily identifiable. after i choked the little bastard, i would have asked for a manager so i could choke him or her as well. this is very much a carry issue but what about the general customer service issue. what if next time its because someone is wearing a bengals sweatshirt or wearing boots instead of shoes. if they don't like how i present myself then they can **** up a rope and not expect my money. same goes in a restaurant, if i get crappy service i usually don't go back. once these stores start getting hammered with complaints about the rubbish they have working there and crappy customer relations, something may change, until then, don't expect any good encounters.

Top Bottom