• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    A portion of my purchases from smile.amazon.com still go to the NRA as far as I know. I've not been notified otherwise.

This. If you use amazon they have smile.amazon.com where you can choose a charity that will receive a small percentage of your purchase, including the NRA, The Second Amendment foundation, etc. I chose FIRE who stand up for free speech rights on college campuses. Companies are going to give in to social media propaganda here and there. But, we don't have to be discouraged by it, we can always reserve our right to disagree, to argue the continual and worthy cause of individual liberty.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I don't have the ability to examine the demographics here, but I would imagine the number of teenagers renting cars is pretty low compared to adults, which would make this a less than stellar business decision. There must be some big money behind this well scripted crusade somewhere.

I believe you have to be 21 years old to rent a car. I even think some of them require you to be 23 years old or some odd age like that. It's strictly a bunch of businesses doing the "pile-on" effect. I agree with you, not a good business decision since they are probably making more of their customer base angry.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yup. The NRA isn't hard enough.
    Might be easier to change them from within, than from without.
    Also, while I like some other organizations, who has the ability to muster NUMBERS.
    Cause that's what matters, NUMBERS of voters.
    That's all.

You can in fact, be a member of the NRA, AND another organization or two.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Having wondered the same thing now believe these companies are gambling on generating more new business from greater numbers opposed to the now vilified NRA, than any loss suffered by offending NRA members. I don't think anyone believes NRA membership numbers will suffer due to loss of a fringe benefit utilized by some.

I wonder who represents more business revenue for these companies:

Person A (me): regular, weekly business traveler, with $1500 - $2500 in weekly expenses for airfare, rental car, hotel, M&IE
    Person B: 16-18 year old, HS student and social media slactivist, not old enough to purchase airfare, rental car, or hotel

These companies are banking on gaining the business of the latter, while not losing the business of the former. I think these companies are making a very unwise business decision.

I'm stuck using Avis, due to corporate rental policies. But most of you know that I have been a very loyal Delta customer. I am now investigating Southwest Air, to see if they are a viable alternative. (Unfortunately, I can't make a business decision based solely on company politics; I have to minimize expenses to our clients. So, I may be forced to stick with Delta.)

I'll also be canceling my FNB Omaha AmEx card. The rest of the businesses, I didn't do business with, anyway. I use Marriott, not Wyndham or Best Western.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My Smile donations go to NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund. If you prefer GOA you can choose Gun Owners Foundation. I'm not sure if they are the same thing but GOA recommends this on Smile.

I was mistaken about mine. Mine goes to the Second Amendment Foundation. For some reason I was thinking it was the NRA. I just changed it to NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund. :yesway:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We should not forget that these companies did not bail on the NRA on their own. They did so under pressure. Organized pressure.

Who exactly pressured them? We need to know the enemy to have a counter strategy.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Delta airlines: suck it nra members....no more discounts

State of georgia: Suck it delta....no more $40million jet fuel subsidies from our taxpayers.

I hope GA follows thru with this.

11alive.com | No discount, no tax break: Former Ga. senator upset over Delta's NRA decision

No way in hell the state of Georgia would ever realistically consider that. And given that this apparently wasn't an issue for the former Senator until now, I find it especially interesting that he want's to penalize a private enterprise based on it's relationship with another private enterprise. Think about that for a moment. A state attempting to tell a business who the can and can't do business with, that isn't based on the collective values and morals of the people they represent?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    No way in hell the state of Georgia would ever realistically consider that. And given that this apparently wasn't an issue for the former Senator until now, I find it especially interesting that he want's to penalize a private enterprise based on it's relationship with another private enterprise. Think about that for a moment. A state attempting to tell a business who the can and can't do business with, that isn't based on the collective values and morals of the people they represent?

There is no entitlement to tax breaks. I get what you are saying 100%, but government should not be involved on tax breaks, incentives, etc either :twocents: Govt is involved all over the place influencing behavior with the power of the purse and taxes... and between private entities, etc... mortgage tax break to incent people to buy houses, just one small example and there are many more out there.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    There is no entitlement to tax breaks. I get what you are saying 100%, but government should not be involved on tax breaks, incentives, etc either :twocents: Govt is involved all over the place influencing behavior with the power of the purse and taxes... and between private entities, etc... mortgage tax break to incent people to buy houses, just one small example and there are many more out there.

I'm in complete agreement, and this instance makes painfully obvious why. A state is interfering with the business relationships which, sans incentives, it has no stake in.

b0Rn~c0nfus3d

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    i got my nra credit card because i was sick of paying interest to bank of america because they dont like gun companies, as soon as i pay off my nra card, it's getting canceled and ill tell them why!

yesterday my antivirus expired (kaspersky) and i went to best buy to buy a new one, and i told the salesman dont even point to norton!

I canceled all mine and my wife's cards with Bank of Omaha and I made sure they knew damned well why we was closing them, and all she said was it was their choice "DUE TO CUSTOMER FEEDBACK " of why they No longer will be offering the NRA card, and of course I replied with so the anti gun grabbers win with you guys . Of course I was hung up on which is fine as I will no longer do business with these anti gun companies .

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm against tax breaks for select companies.
    And this is one reason why.
    Cause then they can use it as a club, regardless of party in power.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

No, we don't. We need govt out of the incentive business. That's a long held conservative principle. And when finding "conservatives" that are ok with it, it should even be more distasteful when those incentives are used to blackmail a business, not over a governmental policy, but over it's relationship with another business.

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    No, we don't. We need govt out of the incentive business. That's a long held conservative principle. And when finding "conservatives" that are ok with it, it should even be more distasteful when those incentives are used to blackmail a business, not over a governmental policy, but over it's relationship with another business.

Is this really simply a straightforward matter of a business and its dealings with another private business? This looks more to me like a business publicly taking a very public stance against private citizens who are associated with (members of) the NRA, and in a manner that in the current climate of gun-hate is actually a huge middle finger to all gun owners, NRA members or not, many thousands of whom are Georgia residents.

Does anyon believe that Delta has any concern whatsoever with extending or not extending discounts to NRA members as much as it has concerns about making the business calculus (in this instance) that it wants to be in the "right" side of what it believes to be politically expedient at this particular time? It had no problem getting business from NRA members for years, but now is perfectly happy making the reasoned cost-benefit analysis to both throw NRA members under the bus while also indirectly insulting the rest of us. Politics being what is is, how can anyone be surprised when politicians now want to pander to a constituent group (NRA members and gun owners writ large) with anti-Delta red meat?

I totally agree that government shouldn't be in the incentive business, and in my perfect world, it wouldn't be. But it obviously is at at every level of government, and I don't see that changing. So, having benefited greatly from the government incentive business, Delta should not be surprised to face the possibility that it ends up getting the short end of the political incentive stick on this, and I frankly will shed nary a tear if it does.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Is this really simply a straightforward matter of a business and its dealings with another private business? This looks more to me like a business publicly taking a very public stance against private citizens who are associated with (members of) the NRA, and in a manner that in the current climate of gun-hate is actually a huge middle finger to all gun owners, NRA members or not, many thousands of whom are Georgia residents.

Does anyon believe that Delta has any concern whatsoever with extending or not extending discounts to NRA members as much as it has concerns about making the business calculus (in this instance) that it wants to be in the "right" side of what it believes to be politically expedient at this particular time? It had no problem getting business from NRA members for years, but now is perfectly happy making the reasoned cost-benefit analysis to both throw NRA members under the bus while also indirectly insulting the rest of us. Politics being what is is, how can anyone be surprised when politicians now want to pander to a constituent group (NRA members and gun owners writ large) with anti-Delta red meat?

I totally agree that government shouldn't be in the incentive business, and in my perfect world, it wouldn't be. But it obviously is at at every level of government, and I don't see that changing. So, having benefited greatly from the government incentive business, Delta should not be surprised to face the possibility that it ends up getting the short end of the political incentive stick on this, and I frankly will shed nary a tear if it does.

Yes, it's that straightforward. A business should be completely able to take a public stance against private citizens of whom they do not agree with, or wish to work with. The govt should have zero say in such. If people are going to cite religious freedom as being a legitimate reason for whatever, then conscience should be equally respected.

What isn't respected, is extortion by the govt.

Top Bottom