• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Kut has it exactly right. I will add that government incentives provide an uneven playing field in which some businesses get benefits denied to others, which, in turn, provide an incentive for businesses to get involved in politics so that they can win an uneven playing field. It's one of the foundations for corruption.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No way in hell the state of Georgia would ever realistically consider that. And given that this apparently wasn't an issue for the former Senator until now, I find it especially interesting that he want's to penalize a private enterprise based on it's relationship with another private enterprise. Think about that for a moment. A state attempting to tell a business who the can and can't do business with, that isn't based on the collective values and morals of the people they represent?

Substitute the word "citizen" for "business" and "enterprise" and think about that.

Yes, it's that straightforward. A business should be completely able to take a public stance against private citizens of whom they do not agree with, or wish to work with. The govt should have zero say in such. If people are going to cite religious freedom as being a legitimate reason for whatever, then conscience should be equally respected.

What isn't respected, is extortion by the govt.

But they do. Bakeries come to mind.

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    Yes, it's that straightforward. A business should be completely able to take a public stance against private citizens of whom they do not agree with, or wish to work with. The govt should have zero say in such. If people are going to cite religious freedom as being a legitimate reason for whatever, then conscience should be equally respected.

What isn't respected, is extortion by the govt.

Yes, and maybe this should also be a straightforward world in which all businesses had to compete in the free market without some businesses getting taxpayer funded bennies at the expense of its competitors, or where some txpayers had to swallow the fact that their taxes are funding enterprises antithetical to their personal beliefs. That's not the world we live in.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Substitute the word "citizen" for "business" and "enterprise" and think about that.

Ok, that does not change the point. I have in the vast majority of instances have been laissez-faire, free market proponent. About the only exception to that is preventing the guy who owns the only gas station on a 200 mile stretch of road in the desert from denying people fuel and condemning them to death.

they do. Bakeries come to mind.

That's exactly what I was referencing.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yes, and maybe this should also be a straightforward world in which all businesses had to compete in the free market without some businesses getting taxpayer funded bennies at the expense of its competitors, or where some txpayers had to swallow the fact that their taxes are funding enterprises antithetical to their personal beliefs. That's not the world we live in.

This is true, today. It should not be true, tomorrow. Just because something "is," doesn't mean it "always will be," and that people who disagree with it shouldn't work to change it.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I don't spend enough money with enough people for my boycott to be meaningful unless Amazon, a hand full of reloading/ammo businesses, or Long's Bakery enters the fray.

That ranks right up there with "I don't vote, because my vote isn't going to make any difference."

Oh, and mmmmm Long's donuts...

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Seems the Georgia legislature didn’t appreciate Delta cutting ties with the NRA. Removing a jet fuel exemption from a tax bill they were working on. It passes both the House and senate and sounds like the governor plans to sign it. The exemption would have saved $38 million/yr for the airline industry.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/georgia-senate-vote-tax-bill-delta-benefit-dropped-151532090.html?exp=vv

Do you consider Delta's actions concerning the NRA free speech? You clearly believe that the Georgia Legislature is taking action based on Delta "cutting ties with the NRA," so I'm wondering how you view this instance.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Do you consider Delta's actions concerning the NRA free speech? You clearly believe that the Georgia Legislature is taking action based on Delta "cutting ties with the NRA," so I'm wondering how you view this instance.

I was just giving a quick summary of the article.

I don’t really care what Delta does or doesn’t do. Generally don’t really care what most companies do as majority of them will always do what they think is in the best interest of their bottom line, not what is best for customers, country or anything other than their pockets.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana

Yes, Delta's actions were free speech. And the jet fuel exemption is not a requirement to be given to Delta by the Georgia Legislature. That's how business and politics work. That's why business should stay out of politics because they are going to offend 50% of the population every time they take a stand. Politics cannot stay out of business because that's part of why they are there to do. Promote and support the business that their constituents want. Personally Delta doesn't deserve a jet fuel tax exemption. There's other airlines in Atlanta (I know the HQ of Delta is there). Did you cry wolf when the Oregon Legislature punished the Christian Bakery for refusing to make a gay wedding cake? That was the baker's freedom of speech and the politicians fined them for every penny they had in their savings which forced them to shut down.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Seems the Georgia legislature didn’t appreciate Delta cutting ties with the NRA. Removing a jet fuel exemption from a tax bill they were working on. It passes both the House and senate and sounds like the governor plans to sign it. The exemption would have saved $38 million/yr for the airline industry.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/georgia-senate-vote-tax-bill-delta-benefit-dropped-151532090.html?exp=vv

Of course, that $38MM will just get recuperated through ticket price increases.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Top Bottom