• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I eat it as a sandwich on toast with mustard. One of my favorites, and my father's before me.

Never could slice it thin enough for a sammich without toasting it, always tore the hell out of the white bread. The mother (straight off the boat German) used to belittle her darling offspring by saying it was never a problem when she was a young lass in Der Vaterland. Of course she failed to let on that German bread typically had the consistency of a dry sponge.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    How bout a bad food memory? My father used to tell us all the time about the hobo pizzas he ate all the time growing up when funds were tight for the 6 kids. I told him to make me some one day. He asked if I wanted the fancy kind or the other kind...... Hobo pizzas consist of whatever bread you have, spread some ketchup on and sprinkle cheese on top then throw in the oven. I should have gone for the fancy kind, that uses real pizza sauce. Most nasty thing I've ever eaten...

MrAverage

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Terre Haute
    Have some Fields brand in the refrigerator right now. Grew up on it, but can't get the kids or wife to touch it. The dog follows me around though.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Fried braunschweiger and onions.

Wait a minute, you can fry this stuff?!?! You have my full an undivided attention, do tell!!!

How bout a bad food memory? My father used to tell us all the time about the hobo pizzas he ate all the time growing up when funds were tight for the 6 kids. I told him to make me some one day. He asked if I wanted the fancy kind or the other kind...... Hobo pizzas consist of whatever bread you have, spread some ketchup on and sprinkle cheese on top then throw in the oven. I should have gone for the fancy kind, that uses real pizza sauce. Most nasty thing I've ever eaten...

Growing up one of my Dad's favorite snacks was taking a piece of toast, coating with mayo and a slice of tomato and covering that with a piece of American cheese. Toss that baby under the broiler until the cheese browns and you've got yourself a masterpiece of snacking proportions.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I haven't had braunschweiger since my dad died in 79'. I've been tempted to buy it a few times and try to relive those days, might pick some up tomorrow at Kroger. My main food related memory from my early days, though, was chipped beef gravy over toast, yeah, **** on a shingle. If we were lucky, we'd have it over biscuits! Mom was a gravy master, and when I was really young, we had some sort of gravy with just about every meal. A few years before mom died, I asked if she'd make chipped beef gravy for Sunday dinner sometime, and she said she didn't really want to, because that's what she cooked when money was tight, and it wasn't that good anyway. Personally, I loved the stuff, and went years without it till I found a recipe online that was similar to what mom made.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Growing up one of my Dad's favorite snacks was taking a piece of toast, coating with mayo and a slice of tomato and covering that with a piece of American cheese. Toss that baby under the broiler until the cheese browns and you've got yourself a masterpiece of snacking proportions.
    We did this too and we added canned tuna as well. We mixed the tuna with the mayo then spread it on the bread and topped it off with the slice of tomato and cheese and popped it under the broiler. Called it a tuna melt.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I must have ingested several pounds of worm guts and dirt as a kid. If Grandma wasn't fast enough, I'd be in the door and shoveling food in my mouth before she had a chance to tell me to wash my hands. Seems like she caught on after awhile and stopped calling me before she had finished setting the table and started waiting until everything was done and she could nab me at the threshold lol. Always reminded me to wash behind my ears at bath time too. God those were good times.

I think this is why we have "super bugs" today. Too many parents whipping out the hand sanitizer for their little precious snowflakes. Nothing like that "fishin' trip seasoning" on a sammich. God made dirt and dirt don't hurt! :D

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Dang... now I'm craving Braunschweiger... I think it's going on the grocery list tomorrow. I always ate it on crackers. Here's another "dad snack"... he always ate saltine crackers crumbled up in a glass of milk. Never tried that myself.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Dang... now I'm craving Braunschweiger... I think it's going on the grocery list tomorrow. I always ate it on crackers. Here's another "dad snack"... he always ate saltine crackers crumbled up in a glass of milk. Never tried that myself.

Used to eat milk and crackers all the time with my dad. every couple of years I still eat a bowel of it

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Wait a minute, you can fry this stuff?!?! You have my full an undivided attention, do tell!!!
    Mostly it was cooked like a hamburger with carmalized onions. Sometimes the onions were just sliced.
    the Dad food was fried spam with condensed cream of mushroom soup over toast. I have no idea where he came up with that one, because I've never met anyone else who's had it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I tried a reunion with Spam last year. I only had it a few times and that was while I was in the Army. We were training at NTC the first time and I smelled it coming from a few tents over. I walked over, looked in the little skillet and said "I don't know what the hell that is but I'll give you $20 for a piece of it". He obliged and I thought I'd found nirvana. The few other times I had it were also under similar circumstances. It'd been 20 years when I decided to give it a whirl last year. I bought two cans, one is still in the pantry lol.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Couple years back I took a camping trip with a cousin and a buddy in the HNF. On the last morning for breakfast we toasted some english muffins over the fire, fried some SPAM slices, cooked up some scrambled southwest style eggs in a box and threw some cheese on top. Best breakfast sammich I've ever had. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I sure wish I had some braunschweiger right now. Drinking a couple glasses of Dragon's Milk stout and the braunschweiger sandwich sounds like a good choice to go with it!

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Braunschweiger, aka liverwurst, is great stuff. Also headcheese. My favorite sammich is the following combo: peanut butter on one slice of bread, Miracle Whip on the other slice, with tomato, bell pepper and a slice of 'merican cheese between the 2. Don't laugh until you try it!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I tried a reunion with Spam last year. I only had it a few times and that was while I was in the Army. We were training at NTC the first time and I smelled it coming from a few tents over. I walked over, looked in the little skillet and said "I don't know what the hell that is but I'll give you $20 for a piece of it". He obliged and I thought I'd found nirvana. The few other times I had it were also under similar circumstances. It'd been 20 years when I decided to give it a whirl last year. I bought two cans, one is still in the pantry lol.
    G\

Gots me some SPAM love here for sure! The GF says she can't stand it but there's always 3 or 4 cans in the pantry when I get the craving. Thin sliced, fried with a little swiss and American cheese on toast with real butter and a spread of mayo and I'm all thru! I can feel the arteries hardening just talking about it!!

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Had some braunschweiger just a couple months ago. Got a pound of it for $.99, had two or three days to eat it. Plain on saltines for me.

Weird food thing from my childhood is canned green beans cooked into scrambled eggs. Been a while since I've had some, may have to fix that soon.

Fishing food with my grandpa on mom's side was either hard salami sandwiches or summer sausage and Colby cheese. Camping dinner with grandpa on dad's side was ground beef, green peppers, and canned spaghetti all in one skillet.

Top Bottom