• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Dad worked 2nd shift so as a kid I'd sneak down some nights and eat pickled bologna, cornbread and a glass of buttermilk with him. Can't hardly find pickled bologna anymore, but it's so damn good.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Phylodog have you been to the German deli over off Raymond? Klaus I think it is.
    man they have the best meats and branswagger. Also head cheese and old fashioned loaf and real hand made sausages and linked wieners and jerkey, and double smoked bacon and regular bacon and Jowl bacon ect.
    Also blood sausage and blood tongue. its all so fresh and wonderful. If anyone here is in Indy or on the southside you need to get there. They have a website

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    We called it liver sausage, on saltines with sliced onions. Or on white bread with mayo. It's un-American to go fishing without fried spam sandwiches on bread with mustard. Sardines packed in mustard.
    Smoked oysters.
    Corned beef hash cooked in a cast iron pan until crunchy, with a couple of eggs on top :drool:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Phylodog have you been to the German deli over off Raymond? Klaus I think it is.
    man they have the best meats and branswagger. Also head cheese and old fashioned loaf and real hand made sausages and linked wieners and jerkey, and double smoked bacon and regular bacon and Jowl bacon ect.
    Also blood sausage and blood tongue. its all so fresh and wonderful. If anyone here is in Indy or on the southside you need to get there. They have a website

I've been by there many times but never stopped in, I need to. My Dad buys from there on occasion and I've had some of their stuff over the years, never been dissatisfied.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    I've been by there many times but never stopped in, I need to. My Dad buys from there on occasion and I've had some of their stuff over the years, never been dissatisfied.

Klaus's is the real deal. He makes it in house. Same with baloney. He makes all the great German foods.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I remember we used to get a few rolls of venison summer sausage out of the deer dad killed. We would break out a roll and make miniature sandwiches with it. Tollhouse cracker (the good ones, before they made them to crumble instantly), sliced summer sausage, slice of Sechler's sweet pickle, quarter slice of American cheese, topped with another cracker. We could finish off a roll pretty quickly like that.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I only allow myself to buy it once a year or so, something tells me it probably isn't the healthiest food around but boy do I enjoy it when I do. It takes me back to my childhood when I's spend weeks at a time at my Grandparent's house at Prince's Lakes, fishing and catching turtles, bullfrogs, lizards and snakes from the crack of dawn until it got dark. A few slices of braunschweiger on Wonder bread and mustard and a few thin slices of Longhorn Colby on the side. What I wouldn't give for just one more week back there again.

I usually skip the bread when I have it now but that doesn't seem to take away from the experience. Anyone else have food memories they like to revisit on occasion?

Oh yeah, about 2 times a year for me. I like mine on wheat with mayo. One of my employees goes down to southern Illinois and will bring back some bologna that is amazing.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I tried a reunion with Spam last year. I only had it a few times and that was while I was in the Army. We were training at NTC the first time and I smelled it coming from a few tents over. I walked over, looked in the little skillet and said "I don't know what the hell that is but I'll give you $20 for a piece of it". He obliged and I thought I'd found nirvana. The few other times I had it were also under similar circumstances. It'd been 20 years when I decided to give it a whirl last year. I bought two cans, one is still in the pantry lol.

The best way to have spam, is to grill it, almost burnt. I enjoy spam 2-3 times a year, about the same as braunschweiger. Braunschweiger has its own recipe though. Mix one tube with one package of cream cheese and season with garlic and onion powders and Lowery's. Eat on Ritz or Townhouse crackers.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    G\

Gots me some SPAM love here for sure! The GF says she can't stand it but there's always 3 or 4 cans in the pantry when I get the craving. Thin sliced, fried with a little swiss and American cheese on toast with real butter and a spread of mayo and I'm all thru! I can feel the arteries hardening just talking about it!!
    This!!!! As an aside, they now have Spam in single serve packs, perfect for a sammich at any time!

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Reading this post is just killing me. You guys are onto some of my favorite eats. Have to wonder why it is mostly us old folks that recall and cherish these foods. Does no one cook or eat cheap anymore? Most people under 30 do not even know what we are talking concerning these foods.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    All I can think of: Left Anterior Descending

that, and Fried Bologna Sandwiches!

Food of the gods, after bacon of course.

hqdefault.jpg

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    All I can think of: Left Anterior Descending

that, and Fried Bologna Sandwiches!

Food of the gods, after bacon of course.

hqdefault.jpg

:drool:

Braunschweiger is some good stuff........just finished what we had in the frig last week.......need more!!!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I love Braunschweiger. I eat it on bread with Miracle Whip. I don't get it often because of the fat content. If my doctor knew that I ate it, he'd kick me in the seat of the pants. When I was a kid, I remember going fishing in the Mississippi with my great uncle from Iowa. He brought along bologna and butter and made sandwiches. It sounds disgusting now, but I remember it tasting great in the boat on the river. My grandmother would fry up pork brains and eggs for breakfast. It was creamy, salty and yummy. I even like Limburger cheese! Once in a blue moon, my wife will cook up a beef tongue for me. Love it cold on sandwiches with mustard. Don't even get me started on grandma's chow chow.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    The best way to have spam, is to grill it, almost burnt. I enjoy spam 2-3 times a year, about the same as braunschweiger. Braunschweiger has its own recipe though. Mix one tube with one package of cream cheese and season with garlic and onion powders and Lowery's. Eat on Ritz or Townhouse crackers.

I cube up the spam and cook it up with packaged Obrien potatoes.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Reading this post is just killing me. You guys are onto some of my favorite eats. Have to wonder why it is mostly us old folks that recall and cherish these foods. Does no one cook or eat cheap anymore? Most people under 30 do not even know what we are talking concerning these foods.
    The reason we know about these foods is because our parents grew of age during the depression. This is known as depression food. This what they had to eat. Nothing on a carcass was wasted, hence the lower cuts and mixes. I love me some fried spam on occasion.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think she could have given the ingredients a second grind, but still a nice vid:

[video=youtube;7JnHyA1qMWs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JnHyA1qMWs[/video]

Top Bottom