• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    All I can think of: Left Anterior Descending

that, and Fried Bologna Sandwiches!

Food of the gods, after bacon of course.

hqdefault.jpg

Oh my...I think I know what's for lunch today. Along with Kraft Mac & Cheese.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I too grew up on braunshweiger. Sammitches with tomatoe and miracle whip and occasionally lettuce. My favorite lunch with grandpa food was Campbells tomatoe soup with a shot of barbeque soace in it and little smokies sandwiches on whatever bread we had. Miss him.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Never partook, nor even heard of the stuff. I'll be getting some today!
    My Family traditional food that I miss is Bagna Cauda. About equal parts tuns, anchovies, butter and garlic. It is a fondue you dip cabbage, Italian bread, celery, bell peppers.... in like edible spoons to eat it.
    My wife is allergic to 2 and can't stand a third ingredient so I haven't had any for a LONG time. New Years and special family events are simply not the same.

Oops, forgot the main reason I wanted to make a post:
    Are their brands of Braunschweiger that are better? To avoid?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We either ate baloney or we would buy some cans of vienna (vi-eeny) sausage and potted meat with saltines.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    My Family traditional food that I miss is Bagna Cauda. About equal parts tuns, anchovies, butter and garlic. It is a fondue you dip cabbage, Italian bread, celery, bell peppers.... in like edible spoons to eat it.
    My wife is allergic to 2 and can't stand a third ingredient so I haven't had any for a LONG time. New Years and special family events are simply not the same.

I find the cheaper brands usually have better flavor. Emge is probably the best/most consistent, the Aldi brand has been very good, too.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

Yep, don't get the low fat stuff. I'd buy Braunschweiger more often, but the packages are so big and I'm the only one to eat it all.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I find the cheaper brands usually have better flavor. Emge is probably the best/most consistent, the Aldi brand has been very good, too.

All Kroger had yesterday was John Morrell's. Tasted good to me for lunch today on roasted veggie crackers. I'd been thinking about getting some for awhile and this thread pushed me over the edge. :):

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The reason we know about these foods is because our parents grew of age during the depression. This is known as depression food. This what they had to eat. Nothing on a carcass was wasted, hence the lower cuts and mixes. I love me some fried spam on occasion.
    When I lived with my grandma, she was quite poor, but had lived on a farm. She would go to the butcher shop and get beef tongue and pork brains because it was cheap. Nothing on a carcass is wasted today, they just hide it in hot dogs, bologna, vienna sausages, et. al. Back in the day grandma just put it out there where everyone could see. People are so distant from their food sources today and so picky.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I read this thread this morning at work, craved it all day, got off work, and went and bought some. I prefer it on saltine crackers with a slice of colby jack.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I haven't had braunschweiger since my dad died in 79'. I've been tempted to buy it a few times and try to relive those days, might pick some up tomorrow at Kroger. My main food related memory from my early days, though, was chipped beef gravy over toast, yeah, **** on a shingle. If we were lucky, we'd have it over biscuits! Mom was a gravy master, and when I was really young, we had some sort of gravy with just about every meal. A few years before mom died, I asked if she'd make chipped beef gravy for Sunday dinner sometime, and she said she didn't really want to, because that's what she cooked when money was tight, and it wasn't that good anyway. Personally, I loved the stuff, and went years without it till I found a recipe online that was similar to what mom made.

SoS is a great food memory for me as well. My dad was in WWII and had to take his turn as a cook on occasion. SoS, Biscuits and Gravy, and Salmon Patties were pretty much all he could cook well.
    Memories

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Does anyone know where to find some good pickled bologna in the Indy area. When I was a kid I spent part of my summers digging roots(ginseng, yellow root, mayapple, etc.) with my grandfather and we would usually have a hunk of pickled bologna before of after leaving the woods but I can't seem to find it on the south side any more.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Does anyone know where to find some good pickled bologna in the Indy area. When I was a kid I spent part of my summers digging roots(ginseng, yellow root, mayapple, etc.) with my grandfather and we would usually have a hunk of pickled bologna before of after leaving the woods but I can't seem to find it on the south side any more.

Rural King has pickled sausages and pickled turkey gizzards too which are delicious. And I had cubed spam and sauerkraut once a week in college... my roommates loved me lol.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    SoS is a great food memory for me as well. My dad was in WWII and had to take his turn as a cook on occasion. SoS, Biscuits and Gravy, and Salmon Patties were pretty much all he could cook well.
    Memories
    Curses! Now I'll have a hankerin' for SOS until I'm satisfied.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    id call the German deli

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Curses! Now I'll have a hankerin' for SOS until I'm satisfied.
    Just be sure you rinse it really good before cooking it, I neglected to do so on my first batch and it was too salty to eat! My wife was amazed that I actually said something was too salty, she'd never heard that from me before.:):

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Down here in the southern part of the state, Kroger has Fishers brand, but they are a Louisville company, don't know what their distribution is like. Fisher makes some darn fine bacon, too.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I have a sudden yearning for pickled herring brought on by all this talk of food we used to eat.

On a related note, got a coworker looking for a good source of smelt.

Top Bottom