• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have a sudden yearning for pickled herring brought on by all this talk of food we used to eat.

On a related note, got a coworker looking for a good source of smelt.
    there used to be a good Russian deli up off of 86tg and meridian I think. Had lots of fish options. I like the deli's rather than the canned stuff. Like the German deli doesn't use preservatives in a lot of their foods. Makes a huge flavor difference.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Down here in the southern part of the state, Kroger has Fishers brand, but they are a Louisville company, don't know what their distribution is like. Fisher makes some darn fine bacon, too.

Thanks, the local Marsh used to carry the Fisher brand as well but stopped after a recent remodel. That certainly cures the craving when I can find it but what I'm really looking for is the 2" diameter pickled bologna in the giant 2-3 gallon pickle jar that several small grocery stores in southern Indiana used to have in the deli section.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have a sudden yearning for pickled herring brought on by all this talk of food we used to eat.

On a related note, got a coworker looking for a good source of smelt.

The Schnitzelbank in Jasper usually has pickled herring on the salad bar.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Just be sure you rinse it really good before cooking it, I neglected to do so on my first batch and it was too salty to eat! My wife was amazed that I actually said something was too salty, she'd never heard that from me before.:):
    Good tip. Could you please advise as to what brand of dried chipped beef do you use and where you buy it? Since I just had a doctor appointment yesterday, I don't have to face him for another 6 mos.:cool:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Good tip. Could you please advise as to what brand of dried chipped beef do you use and where you buy it? Since I just had a doctor appointment yesterday, I don't have to face him for another 6 mos.:cool:
    I believe it's Armour brand. Kroger and meijer both have the same brand, and I believe it's the only brand they carry. It's the one in the glass jar.

Top Bottom