• ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Cop acted like Billy Bad A**?

Man, you guys must never have met anyone tougher than Barney Fife and Sheriff Andy.

Would you like to meet Frank?

Oh, my mistake. The epitome of a professional. That better?

I could have called him a lot of other things that would have been more accurate, but I decided Billy Bad ass was the nicest.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If I was in California I would do whatever they tell me. They really seem to like to get together with a half dozen or so of their friends and bash someone's head in with their sticks. I can't count how many videos I have seen of Cali officers beating people with sticks. They must get extra training in that.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sure they are, but I expect better from one of them.

2nd thought experiment:

So both are instigators.

Are officers expected to be bastions of politeness? What makes them different from any civilian? I don't necessarily expect much at all from civilians... but I'm a bit of a misanthrope. However, I also don't necessarily expect perfection from officers. I'm not disagreeing with many of the takes here, just presenting it a different way so those that disagree can offer input on it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    2nd thought experiment:

So both are instigators.

Are officers expected to be bastions of politeness? What makes them different from any civilian? I don't necessarily expect much at all from civilians... but I'm a bit of a misanthrope. However, I also don't necessarily expect perfection from officers. I'm not disagreeing with many of the takes here, just presenting it a different way so those that disagree can offer input on it.

The primary differences are that the officer acts with the authority of the state under color of law, and the officer can escalate to the threat of deadly force, with impunity.

So, yes: it is reasonable to expect the officer to maintain a higher standard of decorum and professionalism.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If someone is working in their current profession, I expect them to act like a professional. If I walked into McDonald's and the cashier looked at me and said, "what the **** do you want", I'd have an issue with that. If I walked in and a customer said the same thing, I'd ignore them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have mixed feelings about this. However, the videographer kind of has a "Cop Block" feel about him. It has been my observation that most (not all, certainly) of the people that are the most outspoken about police behavior are those that have run afoul of the law at some point. I myself have never been hassled by a cop, ever. In 55 years. Am I just special? Because to hear the tales I hear (or read) from a lot of people certainly seems to imply that the odds of me being hassled by a cop are somewhere near 100%. :dunno: The videographer even says, "after all you guys have put my family through". I don't know what they've "put his family through", but does everyone here think that for some reason, police just chose members of his family at random to give a hard way to go? I suppose it's possible. I also suppose it's not likely. Kind of like the people that say "He din do nuffin'!" after their little angel with a rap sheet a mile long is arrested once again. I think that has colored his viewpoint when it comes to interacting with police. I don't think it was necessary for the officer to unholster his weapon. I also don't think it was necessary for the videographer to be confrontational about a simple request to remove his hand from his pocket. Some folks just like to invite trouble I guess. The old adage, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" applies here.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I was thinking about the last half dozen times a cop showed up to my door.

ISP and his partner showed up for me to fix a scope on a sniper rifle.
    Hooch showed up to give me the Kydex holster he made for me.
    Morgan County Deputy shows up in patrol car with perp in back...to drop off a lever action rifle giving him trouble.
    IMPD officer shows up to pick up rifle and buy 5.56 ammo.

I guess I'm gonna need to start video recording all this harassment.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Morgan County Deputy shows up in patrol car with perp in back...to drop off a lever action rifle giving him trouble.

Yeah, what are you thinkin'?! You can't just let them make you fix their scopes, make you holsters and buy ammo and such! You've got rights! :):

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    There's clearly something more going on between this guy and the police dept. It took video guy almost 9 seconds to take his hand out of his pocket. Let's break it down shall we?

1:48 - cop rolled the window down and took a picture of the video guy.
    2:15 - cop exits, "take hand out of pocket" while hand on gun.
    2:19 to 2:24 - cop draws and video guy places keys and phone on the hood of the car. One hand seen in his video, one obviously holding the camera.
    2:30 - cop on radio "I'm at that address". This whole time you can see the video guy's left finger pointing, right hand obviously holding a camera.
    2:47 - cop says "you don't keep your hand in your pocket".
    3:20 - video guy "you've done enough to my family"

The cop's claim to not know the guy seems fishy since he radio'd "I'm at that address".

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Fair enough: why is the request to remove a hand from a pocket, in this specific instance, reasonable? And what are the legal and moral implications of choosing not to comply with an unlawful (even if reasonable) demand to remove a hand from a pocket?

I don't know the backstory. Why is this encounter occurring in the first place?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    There's clearly something more going on between this guy and the police dept. It took video guy almost 9 seconds to take his hand out of his pocket. Let's break it down shall we?

1:48 - cop rolled the window down and took a picture of the video guy.
    2:15 - cop exits, "take hand out of pocket" while hand on gun.
    2:19 to 2:24 - cop draws and video guy places keys and phone on the hood of the car. One hand seen in his video, one obviously holding the camera.
    2:30 - cop on radio "I'm at that address". This whole time you can see the video guy's left finger pointing, right hand obviously holding a camera.
    2:47 - cop says "you don't keep your hand in your pocket".
    3:20 - video guy "you've done enough to my family"

The cop's claim to not know the guy seems fishy since he radio'd "I'm at that address".

Things you missed:
    -After officer tells guy to take his hands out of his pockets, the guy says "no."
    -Officer's claim of not knowing the guy isn't fishy. Officer more than likely was dispatched to address, so he's inform that he has arrived. Nothing odd about that at all.
    -Video guy says "you've done enough to my family." Ok, is he speaking specifically about that officer, or more likely, police in general.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

Man, your neck must be sore................

...............from all the boots. :):

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Would I mind in a cop cruised slowly through my neighborhood? No.

If I filmed him, would I get bent out of shape when he got out of his vehicle and wanted to talk to me? No. In fact, if he wanted to talk to me and I wasn't fimimg it wouldn't bother me.

Of course, I would take my hand out of my pocket and the gun would likely never be unholstered.

Would it surprise me that if I refused to take my hand out and argued, he unholstered? It shouldn't.

Would I like it if a cop followed me trying to talk to me after all this? Maybe not, but I'll probably never get a chance to find out because I'm not an argumentative idiot.

I'm no expert, but I kind of thought that police cruising through neighborhoods looking for anything even slightly awry was a good thing. Now, whether you think he should have gotten out and talked to the guy just because he was recording, well I don't know, it's a judgment call, but where I used to live, police would pull up and talk to people from time to time because, well, sometimes people talk to each other. I have to admit that if someone were recording me, I might want to see if there was any particular reason they were. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    I'll agree , I actually appreciate the very few times I've seen a cop drive through my neighborhood. (I believe it's happened about 2 or 3 times in the 25 years I've lived here.
    Also, I wouldnt mind if he got out of his car "to talk" depending on his demeanor and the first few words out of his mouth.
    In this case what were his first words? Was it "hi, how's it going?"? No. It was "take your hand out of your pocket!".
    If the officer had a reason to confront the guy, would he have sat in his car as long as he did? Would he have pulled HIS phone out and taken a picture of the guy? No, he would have gotten out and confronted him.
    It was obvious the cop just wanted to be a dick and give the guy a hard time. I wouldn't bow down to tha jerk either.
    as far as having his hand in his pocket, he obviously took his hand out almost immediately. You saw him put his keys on the truck, right? His hand NEVER went back to his pocket. NO REASON for cop to keep his gun out! I don't think there was a reason for him to unholster in the first place.
    yeah, you nor I would most likely ever be in that situation, but I don't think the guy was an "idiot" for exercising his rights, on his property.
    the cop was the idiot, in my opinion. First for unholstering. then for continuing to harass the guy when he had done nothing illegal.
    I think the cop really didn't know what to do once he realized he was in the wrong. He couldn't just re holster and go on about his business, his ego was too big for that. He just stumbled around until he could (gracefully?) make his exit while keeping up his too cool for school charade.

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    "I just want to make sure you don't have a weapon on you."

A friendly reminder that being armed is a privilege, not a right.

Top Bottom