• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Devil's advocate: carrying a handgun is unnecessary. Plenty of other alternatives for self-defense. Why is a long gun any different?

And why don't we normally carry long guns anymore? Could it be because somewhere in our storied past some squeaky wheel minority out-shouted the well-behaved gun-toters resulting in the obligatory "Fine, if it causes you that much grief I just won't bring it into town anymore?"

I would argue that normal is fluid. There was a once a point in time where homosexuality was considered abnormal. And how did that change? By repeated and obnoxious in-your-face exposure in the public domain.

Not that I'm advocating obnoxious behavior, but carrying long-guns will never be normalized unless and until people start doing it.
    Carrying a handgun is not "unecessary." It is a compromise. It provides people a means to protect themselves against criminal attack and possible loss of life by leveling the "playing field" between them and their aggressor. It is neither "necessary" nor "unecessary." It's simply a precaution similar to that of fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, car insurance, vehicular air bags, etc. It is highly unlikely that any of those things are ever needed by most people but having them on hand can save you in many ways, including your life. Of course, you could get by without them but in the off chance you need them they make life a little easier.

The advant of modern pistols changed the way people can protect themselves by again, making it easier. It's much more practical to carry than that of a long gun and still more than capable of performing its intended task. For that reason, they have made the need for carrying long guns obsolete. They did not become so due to "oppression" as you wish to imply but rather though technological advancement.

Contrary to what you wish to believe, homosexuality throughout the majority of the world has always been far more "normal" and accepted than what modern Christian based faiths would like you to believe. Which I find amusing seeing as how our entire belief systems, modern sciences and mathematics came from a period where homosexuality was very "normal" as was what we today would consider "incest."

I would however agree with the premise of your argument, be it that in order to make something "acceptable" in the public's eye they must be around it, see it, and experience it. The problem with that though is that you are surrounded by such corruptness that every action you take can have dire consequences. The media, regardless of source, rarely reports the 100% unbiased truth simply because they have too much to gain from reporting however they see fit. This means that the odds are MORE than stacked against you and in turn means that one should take baby steps towards the overall goal(s).

Last edited:

JoshuaRWhite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    South Bend, Indiana
    Carrying a handgun is not "unecessary." It is a compromise. It provides people a means to protect themselves against criminal attack and possible loss of life by leveling the "playing field" between them and their aggressor. It is neither "necessary" nor "unecessary." It's simply a precaution similar to that of fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, car insurance, vehicular air bags, etc. It is highly unlikely that any of those things are ever needed by most people but having them on hand can save you in many ways, including your life. Of course, you could get by without them but in the off chance you need them they make life a little easier.

The advant of modern pistols changed the way people can protect themselves by again, making it easier. It's much more practical to carry than that of a long gun and still more than capable of performing its intended task. For that reason, they have made the need for carrying long guns obsolete. They did not become so due to "oppression" as you wish to imply but rather though technological advancement.

Contrary to what you wish to believe, homosexuality throughout the majority of the world has always been far more "normal" and accepted than what modern Christian based faiths would like to believe. Which I find amusing seeing as how our entire belief systems, modern sciences and mathematics came from a period where homosexuality was very "normal" as was what we today would consider "incest."

I would however agree with the premise of your argument, be it that in order to make something "acceptable" in the public's eye they must be around it, see it, and experience it. The problem with that though is that you are surrounded by such corruptness that every action you take can have dire consequences. The media, regardless of source, rarely reports the 100% unbiased truth simply because they have too much to gain from reporting however they see fit. This means that the odds are MORE than stacked against you and in turn means that one should take baby steps towards the overall goal(s).
    It's over used but I like comparing carrying a gun to keeping a condom in the wallet. Rather have it and not need it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    When and what I carry I look at as a practical matter and not to try and make a statement. For me it is more practical to carry a handgun which I do as an EDC.

I have no use at this time to carry a rifle so if I were to do so it would be outside of my normal SOP and I would have to be carrying one contrary to my reason to carry as a practical matter.

I don't carry to make a statement or to try and educate or just to say "Hey I carry whatever I want just because I can".

I only carry a firearm as a tool for one primary purpose only and that is for protection.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    When and what I carry I look at as a practical matter and not to try and make a statement. For me it is more practical to carry a handgun which I do as an EDC.

I have no use at this time to carry a rifle so if I were to do so it would be outside of my normal SOP and I would have to be carrying one contrary to my reason to carry as a practical matter.

I don't carry to make a statement or to try and educate or just to say "Hey I carry whatever I want just because I can".

I only carry a firearm as a tool for one primary purpose only and that is for protection.

I think everyone who OC's would agree. The issue is that when you OC you are going to attract attention and spark conversations with people who are less knowledgeable of their rights and so it's important to handle those situations respectfully and appropriately. Sadly, not every OC'er is capable of that.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think everyone who OC's would agree. The issue is that when you OC you are going to attract attention and spark conversations with people who are less knowledgeable of their rights and so it's important to handle those situations respectfully and appropriately. Sadly, not every OC'er is capable of that.
    Well, I agree. I stated that I don't carry just to educate but I also know as I've stated in a previous post that if I'm OC'ing I don't intentionally try to attract attention but if for some reason an issue should arise about my legally carried firearm, good or bad, I am prepared to deal with it in a respectful and appropriate manner and continue on about my business.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Well, I agree. I stated that I don't carry just to educate but I also know as I've stated in a previous post that if I'm OC'ing I don't intentionally try to attract attention but if for some reason an issue should arise about my legally carried firearm, good or bad, I am prepared to deal with it in a respectful and appropriate manner and continue on about my business.
    I wish everyone shared in a similar frame of mind. I fear that too many people who may choose to OC are not very social and can misrepresent the firearms community when those situations happen.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    A right unexercised is a right lost.

Let me know when you are going.

Perhaps I can join you.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Nobody is as far as I can tell.

To the contrary, the OP is discussing exercising rights.
    Gotcha :yesway: I did'nt know if you might have been referring to anything in the recent discussion.

If so I just wanted to make it clear that I follow the same principle.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Gotcha :yesway: I did'nt know if you might have been referring to anything in the recent discussion.

If so I just wanted to make it clear that I follow the same principle.

Glad to hear it.

PS I've not read the thread yet.

MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    A right unexercised is a right lost.

Let me know when you are going.

Perhaps I can join you.

Carrying an AK-47 in a public setting ..... :rockwoot:

Im sure other gun owners... cough... cough... will be called and they will join you fellas 5-10 minutes later. They have those cool looking and tricked out M4's! I am sure you would get the opportunity to see them. :D

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Carrying an AK-47 in a public setting ..... :rockwoot:

Im sure other gun owners... cough... cough... will be called and they will join you fellas 5-10 minutes later. They have those cool looking and tricked out M4's! I am sure you would get the opportunity to see them. :D

And what law will have been broken?

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Not to stir crap up with you but it doesn't matter if your breaking any laws, they will most likely show up anyways and put you at gunpoint.

I understand.

It is also an opportunity to see if the "enforcers of the law" respect or even know the law.

You seem to have your doubts. Those doubts may be well founded.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Probably get flamed for this one but here goes......... I am a proud gun owner. Got a closet full of them and I carry just about everywhere I go. Mostly concealed but sometimes open. I believe in using our rights and standing up for them IN THE RIGHT WAY. This type of thing(especially those videos) is,IMO, not the right way. As a described gun fanatic even I would be a little nervous with my family in town seeing a guy walk down a busy street with an AK. Unfortunately there is just too much crazy in the world anymore and too many stupid people shooting innocents. That type of weapon has no use as a defensive round. And heres the thing...... There are millions of people who don't even think about guns. They are not against them but aren't really for them either they just don't think about them. These are the people we need to win over. The antis are already anti and we are already pro and neither side is going change their views so these middle guys are the ones that matter. If I would be nervous seeing this what about them? They look at that and the first thing a bunch of them will say is "Look at that. He shouldn't be allowed to do that, there oughta be a law!" And we just lost another one folks. When your pushy about something all it usually does is push people away.

Top Bottom