• ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    picture.php

Meeting went well. Thanks to all who made it!

This picture needs a caption listing who's who from left to right ;)

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Jim Banks in the the center obviously, I know Mr. Habib is on the far left, I am in the gray suit in the front (to the left of Mr. Banks), G_Stines is hiding out in the back on the right, I know eldirector was there (I think that is him on the far right) and I believe the red polo on the left is jkaetz. The tan suit is Mr. Matthew Boyd, the pinstripe suit to the right of Mr Banks is Jordan Stover (the Indiana Director of SCCC), the guy in the black polo on the left is a student from IUPUI and the jeans and blue shirt on the right is faculty at IUPUI and a friend of jkaetz.
    (hope I didn't mess any of those up)

Pretty much the best way to describe what happened is to say that I was not nearly as prepared as Jordan was and I am very thankful that he was able to make it (although the meeting wouldn't have taken place if it wasn't for me, so I gotta take some credit ;) ). The meeting started with Mr. Banks stating that as a new state senator he was slightly disappointed that the prohibition law that was passed in July did not included college campuses. He introduced Mr Boyd and then asked us what we were interested in seeing and what we thought the best way to make it happen was going to be. (this is where I think Jordan shined, as he knew off the top of his head the bills that had been attempted before and even how they had died). We discussed different options and whether we should "swing for the fences" or just shoot for a "home run." We talked about public vs private schools and came to the conclusion that although all of us would love to see law abiding citizens/students be allowed to carry on private campuses, the primary goal is to allow it on public campuses (students can always choose not to go to a private university). After some more talk about how to go about writing a bill, Mr. Banks assured us he would work on getting a draft written up and sent out to those of us who were there to look over.

For those of you who are wanting to support this issue, but were not able to attend, the best thing you can do is HAND WRITE a letter to each of the state senators asking that they consider this bill and help to get it passed.

Anyone else who attended can also feel free to add you opinions of how it went and what was discussed too! All and all I think it went well and am thankful for everyone who was able to make it and show their support (and also those of you who couldn't make it and will write letters ;) ).

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I am interested and will try to attend.

I agree with scutter private universities should have private property rights.

Question: What if the private university takes money from the government?

Most do.

I only know of one that doesn't, Hillsdale in Michigan... there might be a few others.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I told my wife about this after it happened... it was a busy week. She chided me for not telling her, she would have skipped class.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I told my wife about this after it happened... it was a busy week. She chided me for not telling her, she would have skipped class.

Actually, your wife may be a fantastic person to get involved. At some point, Senator Banks will need to have a hearing. He indicated that support from certain classes of people will carry far more weight than others. Women who are taking night courses, and are forced to choose between their safety and following campus policy, would lend some strength to our argument.

The tact our Senator is leaning towards, it to expand the current "preemption" laws to include the State governmental entities, and only the State Legislature can make the rules. This may help get support from folks that think local governments were treated unfairly last time around, and the State was "protected" from their own law. We also discussed other defensive weapons (knives, OC spray, etc...), and their mish-mash of local ordinances not addressed in the recent preemption laws. Doubt that will be looked at any time soon, though.

I'm looking forward to the first drafts from Sen. Banks!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Actually, your wife may be a fantastic person to get involved. At some point, Senator Banks will need to have a hearing. He indicated that support from certain classes of people will carry far more weight than others. Women who are taking night courses, and are forced to choose between their safety and following campus policy, would lend some strength to our argument.

Especially since the parking close to buildings right now and for who knows how long is EXTREMELY limited due to constuction. At the moment many people are parking on lots off campus and waiting for shuttle busses.

When I was a student there (IUPUI) I carried every day. Very very few people were trusted with that information. But at the time being both young and naive, and not having all the IC in black and white in the web to look at I just assumed that it was legal. At IUPUI in those days I was not made aware of any weapons policies, and I didn't ask. Heck I don't even remember going through any kind or orientation.

I do remember thinking that I was a wierd bird for having the notion that a crazed lunatic could walk the halls just shooting people for the heck of it. Just ahead of my time I guess. And like I've said in these forums before, I'd rather be paranoid than right.

The tact our Senator is leaning towards, it to expand the current "preemption" laws to include the State governmental entities, and only the State Legislature can make the rules. This may help get support from folks that think local governments were treated unfairly last time around, and the State was "protected" from their own law. We also discussed other defensive weapons (knives, OC spray, etc...), and their mish-mash of local ordinances not addressed in the recent preemption laws. Doubt that will be looked at any time soon, though.

I'm looking forward to the first drafts from Sen. Banks!

Let's just say it would be very risky academically for my wife to take such a stand. I can't say much more without risking her identity. She was adamant that she would have gone to the meeting though. I have sent her a link to this thread regardless.

I have been talking to her about carrying pepper spray, but probably even that could get her into trouble.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Mrs. Kludge here. I want to add my two cents to my husband's comments on this issue. My future academic career is complicated in a liberal school, no matter what stand I take, on any issue. If I am not a liberal, I'm not going to get far with very many of these folks.

I respect the college administration and I know the burden they feel for keeping their students safe. I care about our safety just as much--as a student and as a human being. I cringe every time I see another text about a robbery or a rape on campus, and they are happening all too often.

I walk around a college campus at night every week, and constantly wonder if risking my safety is worth the degree I'm working for. My academic career is not worth my life. Thank God I've not been put in harm's way on campus yet.

I believe we each have a right and a responsibility to care for ourselves, and I would never abdicate my responsibility to protect myself. The police, campus or city, cannot get to me in time to make any difference in the outcome of an attack on my person. Regardless, the courts have ruled that they have no such duty.

All I am asking for is the right to take responsibility for my own safety, and I don't necessarily intend to carry a gun, but that should be my choice. Ulitmately, I will have to stand up for the rights that are guaranteed to me by the Second Amendment. If not here, where? If not now, when? Later, it may be too little, too late.

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I would love to see this pass. I was actually talking to someone about the thing at Purdue and SCCC tonight after class let out. We got quite a few strange looks standing in hall talking guns. Good thing we weren't near the education students.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    The education students act all nervous and usually mumble rude things to each other when they see some of my gun related shirts and hoodies. I know it isn't all education students, pretty much most that I've been bumping into this semester. One that I'd talked to quite a bit a couple semesters ago actually said something about "one of us would probably get shot in the face or something" when I offered to take them shooting, they had expressed interest in firearms as far as wanting to shoot a gun at least once.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    There will always be uneducated people out there... even those who are into education.

Everyone who sees this update should HANDWRITE a letter to the state senators and urge them to support this bill. If everything works out we will be legally carrying on campus July of next year!

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    I just wish this would include private colleges and universities. After I got my LTCH I started looking into my schools rules about weapons on campus and if caught on campus with any weapon you could be getting anything from a verbal warning to being kicked out of school. Knowing I wasn't breaking any laws I just packed my EDC and an extra mag in my book bag each day. I always wondered what was so sacred about the schools land that made them think they could punish me for doing nothing illegal.

Also it's alot easier said than done to tell someone to just go to a state school over a private school. I personally got no help from the government to go to college and it was cheaper for me to go to a private school because of academic/athletic scholarships and grants from the school that I wouldn't have gotten at state schools.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    One step at a time. We talked about including private schools when we met with Sen. Banks and decided that although we all wanted it, it was something that would greatly reduce the likelyhood of the bill passing and it should be brought up again after this bill is passed.

Top Bottom