• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    There will always be uneducated people out there... even those who are into education.

Everyone who sees this update should HANDWRITE a letter to the state senators and urge them to support this bill. If everything works out we will be legally carrying on campus July of next year!

I'll have to type my letter and hand sign it or they won't be able to read it. Just kind of curious as to what you would write as I haven't ever written a letter to senators and from having done the senate page program a few times, I saw how little time was spent by aides on reading letters.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Not sure what I am going to write yet. I know that Senator Banks said hand written letters get a lot more time than typed ones though. They take them more seriously.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'll have to type my letter and hand sign it or they won't be able to read it. Just kind of curious as to what you would write as I haven't ever written a letter to senators and from having done the senate page program a few times, I saw how little time was spent by aides on reading letters.

More details, please? This is information I think we would all benefit from greatly.

To answer your question, I've always said that when writing to them, we should imagine them to be five-year-olds with ADD; that is, write in polite, short, to-the-point sentences and not go into great detail. (This is not meant as an insult, only an indication that writing more will just be wasted time, as the politician will never see your letter, let alone actually read it.)

Example:

Dear Senator Snort,

I am aware of SB 123, up for consideration in your committee this week. As a law-abiding, responsible citizen, I ask your support of this bill. I would like to offer testimony when it is considered, if you would please let me know what time to be at the State House and in what room the committee will meet.

Thank you very much, in advance, for your assistance and for a reply to this note.

Sincerely,
    <signed>
    Based on your experience, is this too much info? That is, will they even get past the first two sentences?

Thanks!

Blessings,
    Bill

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    More details, please? This is information I think we would all benefit from greatly.

To answer your question, I've always said that when writing to them, we should imagine them to be five-year-olds with ADD; that is, write in polite, short, to-the-point sentences and not go into great detail. (This is not meant as an insult, only an indication that writing more will just be wasted time, as the politician will never see your letter, let alone actually read it.)

Example:

Based on your experience, is this too much info? That is, will they even get past the first two sentences?

Thanks!

Blessings,
    Bill

The aides had so many different things they had to get done so they really seemed to only scan letters to see if the person they're working for would actually be interested. If it was too long, they obviously wouldn't waste time reading the entire thing even if it was written really well. I think you're pretty accurate in the write like you're writing to a 5 year old with ADD. I'd think that keeping it polite, clear and to the point (why you're asking for their support and if you can word your thoughts correctly maybe some reasons why you feel it is important), and keeping it from being overly wordy will get much better results than trying to write several pages and rambling (there were plenty that were like that).

Definitely clearly state why you're writing early in the letter. Since it is a preliminary draft right now, state the Preliminary Draft No. 3578 (PD 3578/DI 69+) and possibly IC IC 35-47 instead of simply stating Campus Carry. I would make it as easy as possible for them to find exactly what you're writing about so if they're not really aware of it, they don't have to start hunting around trying to find it. I'd imagine that would possibly put them off if they're busy trying to fit in everything they have to do.

If you've got kids in 6th to 12th grade, it is a really interesting experience. They do a tour, lunch with staff (can't remember if it was with aides), and spending a couple hours on the floor with the senator, running errands for them, and watching what happens during the floor session.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I would go to the range with a 100 or so 1911 mags loaded up and film myself shooting for 14 minutes and see how rounds I can get off in those 14 minutes as the campus police are finishing up hassling sorority girls and drinking coffee.

14 minutes and one of their own was Murdered. How many minutes for a Murdered student?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I would go to the range with a 100 or so 1911 mags loaded up and film myself shooting for 14 minutes and see how rounds I can get off in those 14 minutes as the campus police are finishing up hassling sorority girls and drinking coffee.

14 minutes and one of their own was Murdered. How many minutes for a Murdered student?

14 minutes would be pretty quick response for the campus cops where I go to school. I was talking to a guy that got jumped walking to his car (maybe 200 yards from the campus cops offices) and he said that he called from one of the little phone boxes, called 911 right after. He said the city police showed up first.

Not really in the nicest neighborhood even though it has cleaned up quite a bit in the last 10 years. There have been 3 cops shot within a couple blocks on the campus (2 died). One was off duty, the other 2 were after a ceremony marking 1 year since the 1st cop was killed close to campus. While I've been there, some methed up loser raped a senior citizen a block from campus, we've gotten several security alerts via email/text about people breaking into the campus housing, and one about a guy that was believed in the area armed and dangerous. None of the shooters or other suspects were students so we're always told to believe we're safe since we have campus cops. Not always the best feeling walking to your vehicle after a class lets out after dark and having a gaggle of teen criminals start walking towards you.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm glad I'm an online college student.... But seriously though, I would carry anyways. A little something to remember... Safety first, "my" safety first!

SenatorBanks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    Thanks to all of you for supporting the campus carry legislation. Since introducing this legislation last week I have heard from many college students around the state who want to support this effort. Please stay in touch.

Jim Banks
    jim@jimbanks.us

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thanks to all of you for supporting the campus carry legislation. Since introducing this legislation last week I have heard from many college students around the state who want to support this effort. Please stay in touch.

Jim Banks
    jim@jimbanks.us

Welcome, Senator! Thanks for joining us here. We'll look forward to your input as much as you can feasibly give us through the process and afterward as well.

Blessings,
    Bill

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

Jim Banks
    jim@jimbanks.us

Welcome aboard Senator! It's an honor to have you among us and we are grateful that you show that you care for the welfare and safety of our Hoosiers via rights to 2nd amendment. I hope and pray that you continue to help make Indiana great and pride to our hoosiers.

Top Bottom