• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Non-probability sampling methods do not share this feature that everyone in a population has a chance of being selected and researchers know exactly what that chance is. Participants are typically not selected at random to be included in the sample but rather come to be included by other means, for instance because they volunteer, a person’s chance of being in the sample is unknown. For example, in an opt-in sample a person accepts an invitation to complete a survey that is offered to all visitors to a website. The chance of that person visiting that website and then choosing to participate in the survey cannot be known. One serious consequence is that only certain types of people may choose to opt into the survey and they may be different than those who do not in ways that could potentially bias the final results.

With non-probability samples is there is no simple way to calculate the “margin of error;” instead, estimates of the likely error must be based on a statistical models. As a result, AAPOR has cautioned that it may be misleading to report a margin of sampling error for surveys based on non-probability samples.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I have zero problems with anyone using force to defend themselves at one of these roadblock protests, including deadly force against any armed protestors who threaten a motorist's life. I'm talking about the simple act of denying freedom of movement by blocking the road, regardless of cause.

I give the trucker's props, they aren't blocking some random interstate highway. They are affecting interstate commerce by blocking a border crossing. But despite the cheerleading here, not everyone is so enthralled. These things tend to backfire if they go on long enough.

When Sam Adams, John Hancock, and others were hanging around in Lexington, I wonder if some loyalist said to them, "These things tend to backfire if they go on long enough".

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Believe what you want, but Canada is about 80% fully vaccinated. And if there's one thing I know about people in general, it's that they only give a damn about rights when it's their rights that are being threatened. And that goes for red, blue or any other color.

Thus, smaller is better.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    If the truckers of the States join in, will any of the INGO truckers join in?

This type of protest is kind of limited to owner/operators, unless a fleet owner really supports the cause. Without permission to participate you would be stealing the truck. So participation, to the level of going somewhere and parking for a week or two, is hampered.
    Unless, like many of the Canadian drivers, you feel you have nothing left to lose. If you can already see that you're losing your job, or won't comply with illegitimate "mandates", don't care about losing your license or becoming uninsurable because you'll never work in this field again, then you may chance it.
    However, since the US protest will probably start in LA and work its way to DC, if I were to find myself stuck in traffic amongst the protesters.....oh, well...sorry boss, couldn't get around this traffic tie up (and I won't be looking for a way). What's the difference between a protesting trucker, and someone who's just stuck in traffic behind them, the law will be forced to decide.

I do find it humorous that the usual "braintrusts" on the left keep making suggestions, for dealing with these protests, that would result in all the trucks staying exactly where they are.
    Slash their tires?
    Good luck with that. You'll lose an arm, or your head if the tire carcass comes apart just right. Truck tires explode, like grenades.
    Arrest the drivers?
    Then who's going to move all the trucks, especially after they've run out of fuel. And have flat tires.
    Tow them away?
    Last time I checked, tow trucks were driven by.... ....oops, more truckers.
    Sure, you'll threaten their city or state contracts, and probably get 60% of them to buckle, but then, a lot of those trucks they're gonna tow are automatics. You have to pull the axles or drop the driveshaft to tow it, and it takes hours to hook each one. It would take weeks, even with hundreds of tow trucks, and heavy haulers aren't as ubiquitous as your average recovery vehicle.

In short Canada....you're screwed, and you'd better face up to it before it goes downhill quickly. Goes double for the US.
    Everything you see, touch, eat, ride, wear, use, covet, or purchase....came on a truck. Live and learn.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Some of us have actual work to do rather than lounging on a website for the day.

Sorry if the reaction of three million people losing their livelihoods has inconvenienced you.
    But you're right. Time for the truckers to pack it up and go home..........
    and stay there.
    Let the nation feel the righteous slap of retribution for electing effete toads as political leaders, who conduct ill-advised personal vendetta's against their own citizens. They are responsible for this situation. Let the people know the privations their arrogance deserves.
    You don't like trucks blocking the roads? Lets see how you like having no trucks, on any roads, for a few weeks.
    You'll be able to go anywhere you want to push your car.
    But no groceries, nothing at the big box stores, the pharmacy, or your mailbox.
    North America is already 1.7 million truckers short of present needs.......good luck replacing 8 million of them overnight.
    When the **** for brains "leaders" have been exposed and rendered powerless, maybe........just maybe we'll be willing to listen to their entreaties.

Or maybe not.....

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Sorry if the reaction of three million people losing their livelihoods has inconvenienced you.
    But your right. Time for the truckers to pack it up and go home..........
    and stay there.
    Let the nation feel the righteous slap of retribution for electing effete toads as political leaders, who conduct ill-advised personal vendetta's against their own citizens. They are responsible for this situation. Let the people know the privations their arrogance deserves.
    You don't like trucks blocking the roads? Lets see how you like having no trucks, on any roads, for a few weeks.
    You'll be able to go anywhere you want to push your car.
    But no groceries, nothing at the big box stores, the pharmacy, or your mailbox.
    North America is already 1.7 million truckers short of present needs.......good luck replacing 8 million of them overnight.
    When the **** for brains "leaders" have been exposed and rendered powerless, maybe........just maybe we'll be willing to listen to their entreaties.

Or maybe not.....

Methinks you believe the truckers have much more support than they actually do. Polls that I have seen show that 90% of Canadian truckers are vaccinated. While there is support for the assertion that the vaccination requirements should end, that support does not extend to crippling the economy and blockading health and safety vehicle movement to fires and hospitals.

If you are a truck driver, please go ahead and blockade whatever you wish. Maybe you'll get a sympathetic reaction from the locale and LEO's, maybe not. But, you don't get to extrapolate your anger into the general population of truck-driving professionals. At best, your blockade will make some other trucker a chance at a better living. I've got some Sikh buddies down the road who will gladly take your place.

Between the "stolen election" claims and threats that 8 million truckers will shut down the nation (not to mention your avatar and screen name), the rogue elements in this society need to decide whether they want a democratic republic or a dictatorship. The constant threats of bringing the country to its knees is about as unpatriotic as it comes.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Wow.
    The difference in opinions makes me wonder how we had the balls to become a nation.
    Those differences have always existed. Hamilton v Burr. Adams v Jefferson. North v South. etc etc etc.

Ultimately, what is important in any protest is public support. Aside from the moderately short attention span of most people on ideological issues, once people are affected in their pocketbooks or food supply, the sympathizers switch from supporters to cries for public executions in short order.

The greatest error is imagining that your side is in charge of public sentiment. That is generally very unpredictable and many have paid the price for their error in the long run.

tude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    ohio
    Methinks you believe the truckers have much more support than they actually do. Polls that I have seen show that 90% of Canadian truckers are vaccinated. While there is support for the assertion that the vaccination requirements should end, that support does not extend to crippling the economy and blockading health and safety vehicle movement to fires and hospitals.

If you are a truck driver, please go ahead and blockade whatever you wish. Maybe you'll get a sympathetic reaction from the locale and LEO's, maybe not. But, you don't get to extrapolate your anger into the general population of truck-driving professionals. At best, your blockade will make some other trucker a chance at a better living. I've got some Sikh buddies down the road who will gladly take your place.

Between the "stolen election" claims and threats that 8 million truckers will shut down the nation (not to mention your avatar and screen name), the rogue elements in this society need to decide whether they want a democratic republic or a dictatorship. The constant threats of bringing the country to its knees is about as unpatriotic as it comes.
    This country is on its knees now, three more years and we will have our face in the dirt. Most of your posts make methink you are all in for a dictatorship. You told another member here that you must have over estimated them. The only one on here you over estimate is yourself.

Top Bottom