• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    My thing is also, If it is expensive enough I going to keep a better eye on it. Not saying that better priced knives won't get the job done. This is what I prefer for something I car every day. I trust it, I care for it, and I take pride in how much use I have put into my benchmade. I have plenty of other kinves, most "cheaper" some more expensive. The thing is to find what works best for you. I like the benchmade pardue. It's super light, solid and good steel. I have liked kershaw and ka-bar in the past, but I lose them.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    I agree the beauty of a cutting tool is different for most people. I have a Spyderco, Crkt's, Gerber, and my older favorite Buck 110. All are never abused, but used. The cost and availabiity are so many out there. The Buck is what all teenagers carried around my rural youth. Leather sheath on a belt, no one thought terrorist. They worked in wood shop, electric shop, and lots of other things. My Wife gave me a 112 with finger grooves and carried it to give my older 110 a brake. While I was helping my Grandfather clean his garage, he found a China copy dated 1982 Kutmaster. (Buck copy) He gave it to me and said a guy in the mill sold him that for $5.00. I can't kill that knife and holds a sharp edge.
    Good luck on those $100 knives. My cheapies keep cutting, and do all I need done.

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    If I do carry a knife it's a Spyderco Dragonfly. Cheap enough to not worry about, small enough to fit comfortably in women's jean pockets, and still cuts great. If you like smaller knives, I'd recommend one.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    My EDC for the past 2 years is this Kershaw Dash. $60-$75 depends where you look. Fits my hand perfectly, love the deep carry, and texture especially with cold or sweaty hands. I got mine at Blade HQ.

View attachment 71702
    View attachment 71703

Funny thing is, I ordered this 1 week before this review:

[video=youtube_share;_Dbmivv1Uik]http://youtu.be/_Dbmivv1Uik[/video]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Typically, I carry a CRKT M16 (which I can open as faster that any assisted opener), but if I'm wearing wool trousers & blazer, then I carry my Microtech OTF.

Yep. Same here. $20 at Lowes. And impressively sharp for a factory edge. If I lose it, no tears.

But my Leatherman Juice S2 gets all the REAL work. That bottle opener tool mostly; its better than the blade opening boxes via slicing the packing tape, and when I need to clean the adhesive off, I dont have to worry about cutting myself.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    No matter the cost of the knife I carry, which is usually $150 up to one at $800, I also carry a Leatherman Surge to do all the chores that a knife is not designed to do. As stated earlier, price is relative to each of us. My ivory inlay Sebenza would never go to work with me, but my Benchmade, Hinderer or ZT do.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I used a Spyderco Military with CPM S90V and carbon fiber scales to cut my dinner on Saturday and to sharpen a lot of colored pencils for my mom this afternoon (her electric pencil sharpener went belly-up).

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    0IRagaWh.jpg

This is my EDC knife it is a Mick Strider Custom "Jibble" retail is $1,000+ for my purposes it is probably as close to a perfect knife as I have ever found. To my carrying a high end knife is about like the guns I like , it makes me happy to have the "best" available in certain categories. I have found it is allot easier to just write off the money spent on a knife and use it because you won't ever get any pleasure out of just letting a very expensive knife just sit there in a box for years never looking at it. That's why I thinned out my collection quite a bit over the last year.

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    l like carrying quality knives, I carry a $150 Spyderco or $110 Kershaw Boa most of the time. I don't usually abuse my knives but I do use them daily. I have only lost one several years ago it was a small $65 Kershaw. IMHO life is to short to carry or own cheap knives or guns. Now I will admit that have a couple throw away knives in my vehicles glove boxes

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have a microtech otf and a benchmade flipper that rotate as my edc.

i Am not a collector and buy stuff that I like and will use. Reminds me of all these people have firearm safe queens.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I'm with some others who have left comments, above. My run-of-the-mill Kershaws do everything I ask of them. I enjoy the art/craftsmanship of the $300-500 knives, but I cannot justify the cost on the basis of performance.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Hell I thought I was rolling fairly deep with my 100$ cold steel knife. I upgraded to it from a Gerber 60$ knife.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I carry my Microtech Ultratech daily. When I first got it, I was worried about losing an expensive knife like that. On the other hand, I've never lost a pocket knife (I still have the Smith & Wesson SWAT that was my daily carry for 23 years... which by the way, is actually of pretty decent quality, unlike the newer variants of that brand name which seem like crap). Also, I carry a ridiculously (and probably unnecessarily) expensive iPhone where ever I go, so I suppose carrying a $200 knife shouldn't be my main concern.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I lost a Kershaw Leek and kicked myself for weeks over it. But that is the only knife I ever lost and it was many years ago.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I lost a Kershaw Leek and kicked myself for weeks over it. But that is the only knife I ever lost and it was many years ago.

I lost a leek in '08. It was also my first lost knife. I bought the same one asap as it was a gift from my at the time girlfriend/fiancee/psyko.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I lost a Benchmade Fecas Snipe once. I thought I'd lost it at RileyCC during training, but about a year later I found it in between the seats of my truck. Whew!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Only ever lost one knife, a Kershaw 1550T.

Once I started carrying expensive knives, I haven't lost a single one. Clips are stronger, plus you get in the habit of brushing your thumb over the clip to be sure it's still there

Carried Benchmade, ADV, Medford, Lionsteel, Chris Reeve, 3 Sisters Forge, Grayman, Hinderer, ZT rare occasion a Spyderco. One of my main EDCs is a knife made from Chuck Gedraitis. Known him for almost 10 years and finally had him make me a knife, I had him make it pretty on purpose just cause I wanted to use it and get it beat up because so many are scared to carry and use an expensive knife or a custom.

Had a Brian Efros Funk I regretted on selling, for a non flipper it was awesome. Sold a Diskin Vulcan to another ingo-er a couple years ago (wonder if he still has it) and regretted it, awesome knife. And sold a Peter Carey Nitro 50/50 which would have made an awesome user.

Sometimes it's not about carrying an expensive knife, it's about carrying a piece of art you have an appreciation for what someone made. The action of the the knife, fit and finish; etc.

There's so much more that goes into a knife than a lot of people give it credit for. Some appreciate it, some don't. A $1500 knife probably won't cut better than a lot of the $30 ones but there's an art to them

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've "temporarily" lost a knife before. I blame it on my wife moving it somewhere after I set it down. :rolleyes:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm firmly in the $80-125 range for the knives I carry.

I tend to rotate between some more decent Kershaws (Rake composite, Junk Yard Dog II Composite, Leek Composite, and 1 of 3 Kershaw Autos I have) and a ZT or two (0350 Composite and 0750)

I WANT to buy, own, and carry more expensive knives... But I know that I personally have a hard time justifying the cost. None of the ones I carry are "perfect" - but the Rake and the 0350 are pretty close for my uses.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I lost a Benchmade Fecas Snipe once. I thought I'd lost it at RileyCC during training, but about a year later I found it in between the seats of my truck. Whew!

Done the same thing with a Gerber Paul knife. Found it under the truck seat at least a year after writing it off. Still have it I think.

Top Bottom