• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    My EDC is a Hinderer XM-18 3.5 which when it was brand new is a relatively expensive knife though I did not buy it new. It's always in my pocket however, it is simply a knife and I do not attempt to use it for anything it's not made for. I use it for slicing, chopping, cutting, stripping wires but I avoid using it for anything that may chip or damage the blade in any way. If I need a prybar/screwdriver/pick/etc, I'll use the tool that's correct for the job which is usually my Gerber multi-tool or Swiss army knife, either one is usually not far.
    View attachment 74670

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    I've just been carrying a cheap $30 S&W knife for the past 4 years or so, it's seen a fair share of abuse and held up well. If/when it breaks I'll just buy another one.

elkhunter2018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I EDC a Spyderco, but I only use it for knife things. When someone asks if anyone has a knife, I do not volunteer it. When I'm pruning or working on things, or other abusive activities, I leave it in my pocket and get the right tool. It typically doesn't take me any longer to get the tool and do it right than it does to fiddle with a screw or something with a knife.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I EDC a Spyderco, but I only use it for knife things. When someone asks if anyone has a knife, I do not volunteer it. When I'm pruning or working on things, or other abusive activities, I leave it in my pocket and get the right tool. It typically doesn't take me any longer to get the tool and do it right than it does to fiddle with a screw or something with a knife.

I also don’t use my pocket knife for food prep, or at restaurants. I don’t cut up many cardboard boxes, but I’d use a replaceable box cutter if I did. I generally carry a knife all the time, but don’t really use it for much. It’s nice to have though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I also don’t use my pocket knife for food prep, or at restaurants. I don’t cut up many cardboard boxes, but I’d use a replaceable box cutter if I did. I generally carry a knife all the time, but don’t really use it for much. It’s nice to have though.

Why not? What are you, anyway, some kinda savage who uses the restaurant's crappy steak knife?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Why not? What are you, anyway, some kinda savage who uses the restaurant's crappy steak knife?

Do you also bring your own chef knife for the kitchen staff? :):

I don't think I ever used my own knife at a restaurant.You don't want to dull the blade on the ceramic plate.
    I would only use my knife in restaurants where they only give you crappy plastic cutlery, but they usually don't serve steak there ... or any food that needs cutting.

elkhunter2018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Indianapolis

Right, cardboard kills a blade so fast; I used a pretty new Kershaw one time on a box i was cutting down to size and it dulled it significantly. Then trying to "cut" cardboard with a dull blade is really just tearing it. I have a couple box cutters and a 50 pack of blades from walmart hanging on the wall of my garage, and whenever i need to build a box for shipping something I sold, I resist the urge to pull out my EDC and go grab one of those.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

If I’m at a restaurant that is going to serve a steak so tough that I need a razor to cut through it, I’m probably ordering chicken tenders instead. You know what doesn’t require a knife? Union Jack’s pizza!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Do you also bring your own chef knife for the kitchen staff? :):

I don't think I ever used my own knife at a restaurant.You don't want to dull the blade on the ceramic plate.
    I would only use my knife in restaurants where they only give you crappy plastic cutlery, but they usually don't serve steak there ... or any food that needs cutting.

Nah, the chef and cooks are on their own.

I've actually talked about avoiding contact with the plate when cutting your steak, which is not hard to do if your knife is sharp and you are careful. Meat, however, is very surprisingly abrasive and dulls knives pretty quickly. Keep in mind that the knife I use for cutting a steak isn't the only knife I have with me!

If I’m at a restaurant that is going to serve a steak so tough that I need a razor to cut through it, I’m probably ordering chicken tenders instead. You know what doesn’t require a knife? Union Jack’s pizza!

Just as I thought . . . you're a savage! A good steak deserves a fine edge that doesn't rip through it!

And, not surprising, I've used my knife on Union Jack pizza too.

And, it takes me a long, long time to eat a grape.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have used my knives in restaurants when I needed to cut something and all I had was a butter knife and wasn't able to get the waitress to get me one. I don't really care what others think of doing this either. I am not threatening them nor would I, I just wanted to cut some of the meat I had so I could eat it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Nah, the chef and cooks are on their own.

I've actually talked about avoiding contact with the plate when cutting your steak, which is not hard to do if your knife is sharp and you are careful. Meat, however, is very surprisingly abrasive and dulls knives pretty quickly. Keep in mind that the knife I use for cutting a steak isn't the only knife I have with me!

Just as I thought . . . you're a savage! A good steak deserves a fine edge that doesn't rip through it!

And, not surprising, I've used my knife on Union Jack pizza too.

And, it takes me a long, long time to eat a grape.

I would be surprised, even shocked, if it was!
    Gotta carry different blades for different purposes.

Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    I carry a ZT daily. Love the blade. Carried a Kershaw and Spyderco before but this is by far my favorite. I’ve put it through the ringer for the past 2 years and the coating is still completely intact. It’ll stay sharp 2-3 times longer than what my others would. If I had to buy it again I would in a heartbeat. You definitely get what you pay for with a Zero Tolerance.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Oooh, I like that Hinderer!

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    YPIgmBa.jpg

I usually like to carry two knives, one that is a bit larger than the other. The small one I use for stuff like cleaning the crud from under my finger nails or cutting a loose thread. The larger one, is for things that need a larger knife like is I need to cut some rope or that sort of things.

I like copper, so the above is an EDC combo I would carry.

elkhunter2018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I usually like to carry two knives, one that is a bit larger than the other. The small one I use for stuff like cleaning the crud from under my finger nails or cutting a loose thread. The larger one, is for things that need a larger knife like is I need to cut some rope or that sort of things.

I like copper, so the above is an EDC combo I would carry.

Wow, those are pretty in copper. How do you carry the 2 knives, 1 clipped and 1 down in a pocket? I don't like having 2 things in the same pocket to avoid scratching or rubbing, and I already have my phone in 1 front pocket and my keys in the other so I always clip my 1 knife to not have it rubbing on something else.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I keep one in the top pocket of my overalls and the other in the little pocket where people carry pliers and such, like five pocket jeans, the fifth pocket.

Top Bottom