• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I believe the website says the GI sling will be fine, but you may want to consider something like the VTAC sling. Here's a link with a video. I haven't decided if I'm gonna lay down the cash for a VTAC right now, but the video sure has me thinking about it... Anybody wanna sponsor me? :):
    VTAC Sling

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I believe the website says the GI sling will be fine, but you may want to consider something like the VTAC sling. Here's a link with a video. I haven't decided if I'm gonna lay down the cash for a VTAC right now, but the video sure has me thinking about it... Anybody wanna sponsor me? :):
    VTAC Sling

I like the V-tac conceptually but I doubt I could get it and learn how to use by next week.:)

Heck, I have a Magpul MS-1 and I can't figure out how to use it!

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    ^Ditto. Looks super useful for this particular purpose, though. Meh, I'll just show up and have Slim yell at me for not being prepared and he can make me the bad example. ;) Then I'll whack him with my cane. :laugh: Cause that's not gonna hold me back at all. Lolz.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    ^Ditto. Looks super useful for this particular purpose, though. Meh, I'll just show up and have Slim yell at me for not being prepared and he can make me the bad example. ;) Then I'll whack him with my cane. :laugh: Cause that's not gonna hold me back at all. Lolz.

Well, mine is already set up with the MS-1. Hopefully I will get some good teaching on how to set it up.:)

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    My rifle has a G.I. sling mounted on the front of the handguard and the butt of the stock. Should it be different than that?
    No. And yes.

I see you've since mounted the MS-1. That'll work too.

What I'm getting at with the mount being different is the USGI sling mounts to the underside of the rifle so you can steady your shots using the loop or hasty sling and carry it comfortably on your back. That's all well and good when you're an infantryman running through a war zone and doing menial tasks like burning poop or digging holes 99% of the time. Most soldiers need their rifle out of their way most of the time.

We, on the other hand, are operating hard, bro! We need that rifle slung across our chests so we can be ready the moment the zombie pops his head over the dumpster. Our slings (whether USGI, MS-1, or just a strand of paracord) need to be mounted to the top of the rifle or on one side. Best place is about 11 o'clock for a right handed shooter.

One of the courses of instruction is how to make field-expedient sling attachment points to take you from infantryman to operator in under five minutes. I'll bring extra adapters.

I'll just show up and have Slim yell at me for not being prepared
    Pretty sure I'm the last dude in the world qualified to yell at people for being unprepared. "It's only midnight the night before. I have plenty of time to get ready." Rayne even asked me for a plan or assignment or, "just something to tell me what you want me to do." And then she quickly followed up with "and not at midnight the night before!"

It's Monday and I'm actually working on stuff. Maybe I can yell at you this time!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    ^^^^Mine is mounted at 6 o'clock(bottom). I can switch back to my USGI if you prefer and I think I can add a piece of rail and mount it at 11. Let me know soon. The dates getting close!:)

BTW, I did get that Leupold!:):

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Leave it where it is for now. We'll go over how to switch it during the clinic.

Okay, don't fire me for asking questions. Just trying to be as prepared as I can be for tomorrow. Will be be unhooking the rear of the sling for typical loop sling around the bicep work?

Because if not, I want to put the sling through my sling loop on my fixed stock and not use my sling quick release on the rear.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    You will not be using the traditional loop sling for this course. Unless you have a sling that can be quickly and easily be changed from a 2-point connection to a 1-point connection (like a Magpul MS3 Gen2), you will most likely be using a fixed 2-point connection. You can view any number of youtube videos showing how this type of sling use is employed.

brianheeter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks to Slim and the other Revere's Riders volunteers for a good, fun and safe class. The weather was great and the food was delicious. What more could we ask for?

C ya,

brian

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    AAR: What a great day! Brad (Slim) puts on a great class. Here are a few points.

-Great people
    -Great facilty
    -We were fed!
    -Plenty of rounds downrange
    -Very instructional

Slim made sure that we all had opportunity to earn a patch. Even if it took several tries.:) The food was good and it seemed like everyone got along well. Funny thing I observed: at almost every shooting event I go to, there is some tacti-turd there showing off their gear, talking a lot of smack and generally being an annoyance to others in attendance. And I thought with a class like this, we would have more than our fair share. You know. "operators" and the like.

I did not meet one person who had any kind of attitude like that. Even the guys that were all kitted out were cool. It was just a bunch of good people out to see how well they could run an AR. Or a Tavor. Or a Mini-14. Good times.

A couple things I would suggest to anyone considering taking this. First off, you should take this. It's a bargain compared to the other classes/clinics that are out there. That being said, I would hesitate to send a beginner. I would want to have a general working knowledge of the firearm that I bring. I would want to have some time behind it. I want to be sure that safe firearm handling is pretty ingrained. And lastly, it would be better if you had your AR(if that is what you bring) already zeroed in at 50 yards. We did not take a lot of time to do this and I was still off target when we moved on from the zero exercise. The guy next to me wasn't on either.

Nice job everyone!

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    Thanks to Slim and all the other Revere's instructors and volunteers for a fantastic day at the Bedford Contingent Range! The weather cooperated and the course was great. Highly recommended to all carbine shooters.

Thanks again!

Hot Brass!
    34112653004_d650ea9e69_o.jpg

Worth It!
    34792247842_f81160747e_o.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks to Slim and all the other Revere's instructors and volunteers for a fantastic day at the Bedford Contingent Range! The weather cooperated and the course was great. Highly recommended to all carbine shooters.

Thanks again!

Hot Brass!

Worth It!

Ouch! Yeah, somehow I was able to balance a piece of brass on the back of my neck until I could reach back and flick it off.

I believe it may have been my brass that did that to you. Sorry. I have been looking for cooler shooting rounds but haven't found any yet.:)

Congrats on getting your patch!

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    IIRC, I ran 4x to get it done at the very last minute but I got the patch!

Thanks to RR and the shoot leaders for a great day. Thanks for God for sending the T-Storms north! :D

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I forgot to ask while there, but is there a photo gallery on the RR site or some other resource? I didn't want to waste time taking pics and didn't take any all day.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I forgot to ask while there, but is there a photo gallery on the RR site or some other resource? I didn't want to waste time taking pics and didn't take any all day.

A link to the photo gallery will be posted in the thread when they have all be up loaded and/or on the Bedford Contingent Facebook page.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    The one thing I have noticed about this class everytime we hold it, is that electronic ear muffs would be best because people sometimes have trouble hearing the line commands and instructions. If anyone is thinking of taking this course and has electronic ear muffs it would be wise to use them instead of plugs.

Slim as usual put on great class and is bringing more and more of the RR instructors up to speed on this class so that it can be offered at different locations. Though you all have to admit, that the Bedford range is hard to beat when it comes to the facilities, hosts, food and moving targets.

I would like to thank all the participants for coming out today. For bringing their learning attitudes and in particular for being safe. People had equipment malfunctions, issues with gear and safeties that were forgot to be disengaged at the proper time. Everyone worked through their issues, with good attitudes. It was a pleasure spending the day with you guys.

Top Bottom