• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    If I am up and about I carry. If I am in bed it is beside me. To many people have been caught off guard in a home invasion and not able to defend themselves.

It is where you feel safest as to exactly where you will be attacked because that is where you are usually most unprepared because you lose your feeling of vulnerability.

I am not saying you should be paranoid but since when is being prepared the same as being paranoid...usually when those who want us to give up our freedoms to make them feel at ease tell us so

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    :twocents:

Generally, anytime I'm wearing pants/shorts ... I have at least one gun and a reload. Same for my 16 year old son. Wife usually goes with just the snubbie (no reloads).

The only time the guns are off body in the house is when you wouldn't normally expect to be wearing pants such as the shower, sleeping, etc. It's so normal that we don't even think about it anymore. It's like putting on your socks or underwear in the morning. Glad to see others think the same way. It should be an oddity to ever be unarmed in your own home ... or anywhere for that matter.

BTW ... we don't just carry for the sake of carrying, we have a plan (software) to go along with the guns (hardware).

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Around the house if I'm dressed I have a 1911 on me or at the very least a 642 in my pocket and a 1911 within the room. The 642 goes in my pocket first thing in the morning just like my change, wallet, and knife.

As far as sweatpants and PJs all of them have pockets and draw strings too so the 642 is still with me.

After 26 years of marriage the wife is used to it so she never says a thing.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I used to always carry when I had my snubnose but traded it off:ugh:. I am a little odd since I wear jeans usually even to bed so pocket carry was easy. Now my carry pistols are a bit bigger but always carry IWB. I have my other pistol locked up but always have one on me because I dont yet have a safer place to keep it and you just never know. Running to the bedroom is quite a ways.

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    How many of you carry when you're at home? If you do, why, and does your wife think you're crazy? And how do you carry if you're wearing sweatpants or gym shorts?

I don't wear a holster, I just carry my gun from room to room. No wife, so no one to complain about it.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I just recently started carrying, and I do it at home as well for the purpose of self defense and getting used to it. My whole family thinks I'm paranoid and nuts, so I just stick with the second story lol. My dad is also a gun nut, but thinks it's sort of weird to wear one in the house and loaded. Two times this past week he's noticed someone sitting in our driveway and they leave when they are seen. I told him "that's why I carry, even at home." I think my family is starting to get the picture, either that or they are just used to it by now.

emst52

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lafayette, In
    my kel-tec p3at is in my back pocket. i live in an apartment complex their is so many people about 800 all together you never know what may happen i know the village pantry close by has been robbed within the last year and theres lots of places to hide so you gotta be ready

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I carry all of the time and it took some time for my wife to get used to that. Just explain that your home isn't all that much more safe then the gas station when/if you are attacked. I must've rubbed off because she now has her LTCH and carries too - just not all of the time.

When in sweatpants, use an adjustable fisherman's wading belt underneath and strap your holster to it instead of the pants. I use a Simms neoprene wading belt that works fantastic for me when I am sluffing. Actually I like it so much that when I wear jeans I still use the wading belt for IWB carry.

<graphic depiction; close eyes while reading, hehe>

One other advantage :D:rolleyes::D ...when one needs to use a public restroom to unload a #2 , all you have to do is ride the belt up past the belly button rather than having to take the whole damn rig off so the gun doesn't hit the floor. Call me crazy, but I don't want the 'next door' neighbor to see me fiddling with my holster as I am dropping thy pants. Also I don't particularly care to think of the sh%t it might pick up by coming in contact with the floor. Plus it's still in the readily available mode - just a bit higher reach to the handle.

johenz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Indianapols, IN
    I carry all day every day, even in my small apartment. I set up my jeans for the next day with my belt and holster prior to going to bed so that I can easily slip them on if I have to get up during the night if the dog needs to go out.

I usually don't carry spare mags in the house, but they're always on the end table within reach.

I keep a spare weapon concealed in the house. My boys (20, 18, 16) know its hiding place so that its available to them when they are here even if I shouldn't be.

I'm trying to figure out how to put a small table in my bathroom so that a pistol can rest there while I use the facilities. Currently I'm stuck trying to balance a full size 1911 on the sink. I may install a small shelf.

At night, the 1911 is on the nightstand within easy reach.

My wife was a Quaker, and would have been appalled at the idea of firearms in the house.

Last edited:

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I do not neccesarily carry in the house but I always have a gun within reach. Funny story when I moved into one house I was out mowing and the neighbor came over and she said "are you carrying a gun while mowing in your own yard" I answered to the affirmative and she said "we will get along just fine"

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    This entertaining thread made me think a little:

1. If your EDC is comfortable, you'll probably never take it off. I don't necessarily carry mine around the house on purpose, its just always there.

2. Given many of the posts in this thread, someone might be able to get rich off of a bathrobe with a built in holster. Or even better, a permanent skin flap modification to allow waterproof shower carry. I'll bet you could pull it off with duct tape. Better yet, Gorilla tape!

3. Sweat pants are all you need to scare the enemy away, no gun required.

4. Kids in the house make the safest place for the weapon on your person.

5. I'd like to see some stats on the "push-in" attacks that occur. I wonder how many of them were legal firearm owners that kept their guns locked up.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    If I am in jeans, it's either on or within arms reach, any other atire it's within arms reach..

Heck I cook, do laundry, work in the garage, work in the yard all while carrying..

My GF think's I am nutz, she is just too afraid to say it to my face..lol

All of our kids know they do not touch my knives or my guns.

If I am not home, guns are locked up..

Oh and anyone know where I can get a creeper to roll around on in the garage that has a cut out where my 4 o'clock is for a Ruger? LOL j/k..

The way I see it is it takes about 3 minutes to go to the gun safe and unlock it, grab a weapon, pull out an ammo can, remove a loaded magazine, put it in the gun, rack it then go take care of a situation.

Or it takes 1.5 seconds to draw, click the safety off and take care of a situation....

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    We have a gun in almost every room of the house. We do not carry while in the house but one is close by at all times. When Brad is gone and I am home alone I keep my gun next to me at all times and even when I am outside in the backyard it goes with me.

Glockshooter149

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    I carry all the time I am at home along with when I am not home. Where we live, not only are BG a thought, but we have a little dog and a very bad coyote problem. The wife at first thought I was crazy carrying so much, but after a attempted break in and her actually seeing the pack of coyotes in the field across from our house, she doesn't mind it and most of the time she doesn't really even know I have it on me either with a supertuck or a blackhawk on my side and a big sweatshirt.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    When I first saw this thread several weeks ago, I thought 'How dumb is that? Carrying at home? You've got to be kidding me.' Now, don't get me wrong, I do have accessible HD guns in the house, but I've never really been too concerned about needing it in an instant. That all changed this past week.

About 21:30 on Wednesday I was in the back of the house when my wife heard a knock at the front door. We live pretty well out in the country, but the houses are within 100-150 yards of each other. I figured it was one of the neighbors. Wrong! I heard my wife say 'You'll have to go somewhere else'. I came to the front of the house and asked what that was all about. She said some guy said his car was broken down and asked to use our phone. To her credit, she did not open the door. I immediately grabbed my P-220 and started checking things out. The guy was gone and oddly enough there was no broken down car in sight. Talked to my next door neighbor, who said he saw a car parked at the end of his long driveway with no lights. He went to get his shotgun, but the car was gone by the time he got back to the door.

Bottom line here is that I no longer think carrying at home is crazy - and neither does my wife. From now on, I'll have something strapped on or within reach, and I don't care WHAT anyone else thinks.

Top Bottom