• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Also, I would guess that with him not being the driver, the police wouldn't be able to ask for his idea unless he's acting suspicious, am I correct? Help me out on this one. :dunno:

I beleive ??
    that the Police can ask him for his ID no matter what ! but if you get pulled over for traffic violation i doubtt hat he will get asked !
    Maybe some of the Police officer's can shine some light on this!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I beleive ??
    that the Police can ask him for his ID no matter what ! but if you get pulled over for traffic violation i doubtt hat he will get asked !
    Maybe some of the Police officer's can shine some light on this!

Yes the Police can ask, but there are only a couple of situations where you are required to provide it. Which is you are stopped for an infraction or ordinance violation.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Ok so I currently work at a factory, where one of my co-workers is an ex-con. He's a descent guy, and as far as I can tell he is trustworthy. The problem is that I sometimes give him a ride home. If I have a loaded gun in my vehicle and get pulled over, could I get in any legal trouble? Also, I would guess that with him not being the driver, the police wouldn't be able to ask for his idea unless he's acting suspicious, am I correct? Help me out on this one. :dunno:
    People can in fact change but I wouldn't let your guard down if your around your friend. I would not talk guns with him or let him know anything about yours.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I think it was for theft. He told me he used to be in a prison gang, and now wants nothing to do with them, which makes him pretty sure that he's trustworthy. Of course, he could be lying... Either way, he wouldn't even know I had the gun in the car, it'd be hidden under my seat while I'm at work anyways because I don't want it to be known that I have it there.

Were his lips moving?

Wise up while you've got yer skin kid, IF you still have it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Bold statement, I tend to disagree. One of my best friends is an "ex-con" and I trust him with my life. I also know that he'd push you out of harms way at risk to himself given the opportunity.

You can't let (in some cases) 1 or 2 past discrepancies define someone's life or character.

Thanks a bunch.

That was quick.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I dont think there is such a condition (someone correct me if I am wrong) I think it is flat out "Can not posses firearms". If you are in control of the weapon, he is not possessing it. I dont think there is any legal punishment stating that someone can not be around firearms.

And sloughfoot: You are wrong. There are victimless crimes (drug possession). I understand some of what you are saying about the victim, I was mugged and had my jaw fractured as a result. I know the hate a victim can have. However, people change. I know many people who have served jail time. I even know a few that have done time for assault, and one guy who did time for armed robbery. Every single one of them has turned their life around. I understand that there was a victim somewhere back there, and that victim might not think so, but you also cant speak for a person you have never met. How do you know that the victim hasnt forgiven them?

Tell me sir, have you forgiven the person who violated you, broke your jaw, and took your stuff? I'm just curious.

I'm guessing that the two of you have not spent too many Thanksgiving dinners together... But what the heck do I know?

bigdaddy1427

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The concept of "Victimless Crime" is really interesting.
    My guess is, when Joshua got his jaw broken during a robbery, the person that did it was probably looking for money to possess drugs. I am thinking that he did not do it to get money to feed his family.
    If that is the case, is drug possession really a "Victimless Crime"? Were you not victimized by his craving to possess drugs?
    Most people that talk about "Victimless Crimes" are just looking to justify their crimes, telling themselves that there is really no victim, so it must be okay.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The concept of "Victimless Crime" is really interesting.
    My guess is, when Joshua got his jaw broken during a robbery, the person that did it was probably looking for money to possess drugs. I am thinking that he did not do it to get money to feed his family.
    If that is the case, is drug possession really a "Victimless Crime"? Were you not victimized by his craving to possess drugs?
    Most people that talk about "Victimless Crimes" are just looking to justify their crimes, telling themselves that there is really no victim, so it must be okay.

Nope, the person who was "victimized" by the drugs would of the person who willingly ingested them. Joshua was victimized by the guy.

If a drunk driver kills someone who do you blame? The guy who chose to drink and drive or the booze? From what you posted above it must be the booze, so the guy didn't actually do anything wrong did he.

Lock that bottle of jack up your honor, it's a killer.:):

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Were his lips moving?

Wise up while you've got yer skin kid, IF you still have it.

He's got two step kids and a wife with one of his own on the way. He has quite a few reasons not to do anything stupid right now.

People can in fact change but I wouldn't let your guard down if your around your friend. I would not talk guns with him or let him know anything about yours.

He knows I own one, and that's only because I was talking to another coworker about going to a shooting range one day. As far as he knows, I have no intention of carrying it anywhere.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    In discussing this with my wifey, she had a question that she would like answered.

By the fact that Garb gives the felon a ride home from work occasionally **and Garb doesn't tell his co-worker about a firearm in the vehicle,** is he "endangering" or "setting up" the co-worker for legal problems or going back to jail if Garb was to be stopped and searched on the way home during a traffic stop? Possible guilt by association?

Think of dope in a car. It generally is not an accepted excuse to say, "I didn't know he had XXXXXX in the car. It's not mine. I've never seen it."

Trina82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You can not judge someone based on their past. Everyone has a past and I strongly believe that people can turn their lives around for the better!

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    And also, those of you who have ex-cons that are "best friends" who have changed their lives and are now on the straight and narrow and have found God, please tell me how their victims sleep at night and have been restored to the time before the perp totally changed their lives and their perception of their lives.

Unfortunately NOTHING will make the victims less victimized except what they can find in themselves. There are some people who never get over their vicyimization not matter what is done to the perpetrator of the crime. Some people get over it & move on with their lives even if the perp is never caught.

Fortunately, our legal system is MOSTLY not about revenge but deterence & possibly restitution to the victims. Sometimes there's nothing we as society can do to make the person whole again.

In discussing this with my wifey, she had a question that she would like answered.

By the fact that Garb gives the felon a ride home from work occasionally **and Garb doesn't tell his co-worker about a firearm in the vehicle,** is he "endangering" or "setting up" the co-worker for legal problems or going back to jail if Garb was to be stopped and searched on the way home during a traffic stop? Possible guilt by association?

Think of dope in a car. It generally is not an accepted excuse to say, "I didn't know he had XXXXXX in the car. It's not mine. I've never seen it."

Actually I'm pretty sure that "i didn't know it was there" is an acceptable defense unless there is other evidence to prove you did or you weren't in sole control of the vehicle in which it's found.

If you're riding in a car with someone & they get pulled over & drugs are subsequently found on the driver or another passenger then you wouldn't be held criminally responsible. If the drugs are found near you (under your seat, in your door pocket etc.) then you'd probably be charged. I don't remember the exact term but its something like having "effective control" of the illegal object.

Same for guns.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    You can not judge someone based on their past. Everyone has a past and I strongly believe that people can turn their lives around for the better!

I wouldn't go so far as to say that you can never judge someone based on their past. It wouldn't be prudent to just simply trust someone who has been known to have done criminal acts in the past. But once you get to know the person then that trust can be re-earned. The person who has done the crime also has to be able to understand that as well.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    There is NO EX-CON that is ever trust-worthy. I rarely say "that's a fact" but that IS A FACT.

Bull****.

No, once there debt is paid to society they are just like you and I

hang on, fletch will be along shortly to explain that.

I don't believe anyone is just like anyone else, but I do believe that everyone ought to be treated with decency and respect, and given the opportunity to reform and reinvent themselves.

Some people never learn from their mistakes, some people do. It's a hard and messy process, figuring out who belongs in which group, but it is a process that's worthwhile, and not just for their benefit.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    There is NO EX-CON that is ever trust-worthy. I rarely say "that's a fact" but that IS A FACT.

But to answer your question, you carrying in the same air that the scrote is breathing won't get you into trouble.

Most people are too ignorant to realize they are being "slicked' by a pro.

So lets say its your brother or sister, made a mistake, something petty, but still got prison time,,,,maybe 2-5 years,,,, rules till apply

Not arguing, just curious.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    There is NO FELONY CRIME that gets you sent to PRISON for 2-5 years that is a PETTY crime caused by making a "mistake".

My answer to your question is yes, even it was my brother. Because I HAVE a brother who committed many felony crimes before he was finally caught, served his time and was released back into the community. He has stayed sober for many years, but he could resume his drinking and drug use again at the drop of a hat. He knows it, our mother knows it. We love him, but we watch him like hawks.....BTW, his final crime killed someone while he was "loaded".

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond

You bring up a very good point, and this is the deciding factor of whether or not I carry in the car. I'm far more worried about him getting in trouble for being in the presence of a loaded gun than I am about him trying to steal it or grabbing it and going postal. I think I'm going to be leaving the gun at home for now, as much as I hate doing that...

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    There is NO FELONY CRIME that gets you sent to PRISON for 2-5 years that is a PETTY crime caused by making a "mistake".

My answer to your question is yes, even it was my brother. Because I HAVE a brother who committed many felony crimes before he was finally caught, served his time and was released back into the community. He has stayed sober for many years, but he could resume his drinking and drug use again at the drop of a hat. He knows it, our mother knows it. We love him, but we watch him like hawks.....BTW, his final crime killed someone while he was "loaded".

Your personal experiences will of course tend to skew your perspective. Nothing wrong with that, it just makes you human. But it is important to recognize your own biases and understand that while 100% of those you have experience with may be of a certain bent, it's not a foregone conclusion that the greater population will necessarily follow suit.

Top Bottom