• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skyeyes70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Fishers
    After shooting at the range yesterday, I had hoped to walk away with a sure idea of what I wanted to get for a ccw but now I'm just as undecided as before I went. I'm curious what other ladies carry.

A couple of thoughts come to mind when I review my day. 1) That Ruger LCP would be so easy to conceal in a variety of outfits. It was also easy for me to shoot. However, the ammo is not always on the shelves and cost about 10 cents per shot more than 9mm. (Important for practice.)
    2) Wish I had gotten to fire a Glock 26 (or any Glock) - Did fire a Springfield XD (??) full size. Easy to handle, but the thought of concealing that is a bit much! 3) The recoil on the LC9 would take some getting used to. I wish I had shot it again at the end like I did the LCP.

I assume that the recoil on and sub-compact 9mm is going to be close to or about the same as the LC9????
    Even the difference in size for the LC9 to the LCP makes me say...wow, that LCP is so easy to conceal.

So, share with me you thought and what you ladies (or your wife) carry.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I most often carry my Sig P938, sometimes IWB, sometimes ankle holster. I've been thinking about a S&W Airweight .38 snubby revolver, but I'm pretty sure that isn't a fun one to practice with. I do have trouble getting comfortable with CC at times, and I've gotten kinda complacent over the summer. The Sig conceals pretty well, and I don't find the recoil harsh to practice with, but some people do.
    I owned a Glock 26 for awhile, and the fatness of the double-stack mag did make it harder for me to conceal.
    I also enjoy practicing with my 45 ACP 1911, but I don't normally carry it.
    As you gain experience and knowledge, your preferences may change, I know mine have changed a lot since my first gun!
    If you are leaning toward a 9mm, which I think is a great caliber, I'd look at the SIG P938 and maybe the S&W M&P Shield. Both are pretty slim. There's also the Springfield XDs, a single stack in 9mm, but I have yet to fire one. I had one in 45ACP, it was nice and slim for CC, but it was kinda hard on my hand for practicing, there was something about the backstrap that made the web of my hand sore.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Your ability to effectively use the gun should be the first consideration. If you can't shoot it well and don't like to practice with it then it provides little or no advantage. Find out what you shoot best and go from there. Carry is supposed to be comforting not comfortable.

skyeyes70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Fishers
    Your ability to effectively use the gun should be the first consideration. If you can't shoot it well and don't like to practice with it then it provides little or no advantage. Find out what you shoot best and go from there. Carry is supposed to be comforting not comfortable.

I like that!! Thanks! Based on my shooting yesterday, I shot well with all the guns. I guess it was a bit overwhelming thinking back since it was my 1st time and now I can't really remember one from the other expect for the LCP being "comfortable" with regards to the idea of keeping it on my person. I guess my best plan for now is to find someone to go out with me and test fire a handful and this time I will take a pad and paper to write down some notes about what I'm shooting and my impression.

I'm in the Indy area if anyone feels like adopting me to tag along at the range. I will supply (or pay for) my own ammo. :)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If you ever get up to Lafayette I would be happy for you, and your daughter, husband, etc. to shoot mine. I am certain other INGOers will chime in closer to your area. Good luck. Remember, everyone will tell you what gun to get based upon their likes and dislikes. Smile politely and ignore. You need to find your gun.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... That Ruger LCP was also easy for me to shoot. ...

Was it easy to hit with? Multiple times? At speed?

The ergonomics are so poor for me, that while it's "easy" to shoot from a recoil prespective, it's difficult to shoot "well" from an accuracy perspective. Misses don't count. This will depend on your hand size/geometry.

skyeyes70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Fishers
    For me, I was able to hit the target every time. Not only did I hit the target, but I think for my first time, I did quite well with the exception of missing a head shot. I paused between shots and would like to see how it would be to just fire, fire, fire.

20131003_161451.jpg

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The first handgun I purchased for my wife was a Taurus PT 908 it was an epic failure! ( bought it for her as a gift, but did not let her pick it) The gun was not too bad but she could never get comfortable with working the action. So the next gun I bought for her I let her pick out this past Christmas, (just a few days after), and SHE picked a 7 shot Taurus in .357 with a 2 in barrel. It may be a little large for a CCW but she shoots well with it and there are several choices for ammo. Plain old 38 special for plinking, various flavors of +P 38 special, and of course the .357 rounds. This particular model came with nice comfortable rubber grips that made even the full power .357's comfortable to shoot. I liked the fact that she choose the 7 shot to get all the firepower she could out of a revolver, and that she did not have any fear of the .357 loads. I rewarded her with 3 speed loaders and a Laser Sight for her birthday! I hope that helps!

udchemist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    as far as the lcp goes - the only thing i dislike is that the slide doesnt lock back on the last round. i would agree with previous posters that you should consider what you shoot best and what feels best in your hand and then consider how to dress around it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I disagree. Uncomfortable carry often results in no carry at all.

There are 2 ways to approach carry. Option 1: find the firearm you want to carry and accept any limitations it has with carrying. Option 2: Determine how you want to carry and accept any limitations it places on firearms options. Whichever one you opt for, make sure the firearm IS one you can operate proficiently and comfortably. And understand that you may need to make alternations to wardrobe or behaviors if you aren't willing to change other aspects.

I OC a Glock 26, but I carry a BUG .38 in my purse. I OC because I chose the Glock as my primary EDC (option 1) and there were no comfortable ways for me to carry it concealed (nor was I willing to sacrifice in other areas; OC was just easier). I wanted a purse/BUG which meant lightweight and small (option 2). I opted for the revolver as well since it reduced the potential for problems if I had to shoot with the firearm still in purse.

Last edited:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I disagree. Uncomfortable carry often results in no carry at all.

There are 2 ways to approach carry. Option 1: find the firearm you want to carry and accept any limitations it has with carrying. Determine how you want to carry and accept any limitations it places on firearms options. Whichever one you opt for, make sure the firearm IS one you can operate proficiently and comfortably. And understand that you may need to make alternations to wardrobe or behaviors if you aren't willing to change other aspects.

I OC a Glock 26, but I carry a BUG .38 in my purse. I OC because I chose the Glock as my primary EDC (option 1) and there were no comfortable ways for me to carry it concealed (nor was I willing to sacrifice in other areas; OC was just easier). I wanted a purse/BUG which meant lightweight and small (option 2). I opted for the revolver as well since it reduced the potential for problems if I had to shoot with the firearm still in purse.

I agree - especially with your opening statement.
    as to my wife:
    She wanted and liked the G-19 Glock (does not prefer my G-26 due to hand/grip length issues - personal preference) ... BUT ... she does NOT wear a belt often; so she purse carries in a 'holster purse' (Hide and Carry - out of carmel) designed for carry, most of the time. We want to get her an IWB Mills Tactical for the Glock but that still only covers "PART" time carry.

Sooo now we're adding an 2nd gun for her - looking at S&W M&P Shield, or Kahr CM9 (leading contenders) - this will be 'thigh holster' and any other means we decide. It is smaller, and lighter than the Glock, so she will carry all the time then. It is a "compromise" gun; it is not her preferred gun; or a range gun (too much shooting even w/ the G-19 hurts her hands for days - such as LT3 event last month) ... Now that she is much more familiar w/ carrying, had 2+ round of training and become much more "sheepdog" (and our daughter is on board w/ carrying) ... she is ready to add the EDDC (Every Day Deep Conceal) ...

OP - you're going about it right - try as many as you can; and get your hands on as many as you can.
    The XD is heavier and wider than the glock or M&P (9c) if you think bigger 9 (G29, M&P9c, XD-9Sc) is of interest.
    We noticed very little difference in recoil w/ the Shield (compared to Glocks). We haven't shot the CM9 yet (or it's more expensive 'brother' the PM9) by kahr, but my wife liked this now that she has more experience. The market for these size 9's is growing quickly.

sheller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NW Indy
    I carry an LC9. I like it because it is easy to conceal, I took several classes to hone my skills with this gun as it did take some getting used to since the recoil was more than I was used to. I am in the Indy area if you want to try mine. I am looking to carry something bigger in an apendix carry. I like this thread because it is giving me ideas!

Danni

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2013
    Seymour
    For my first gun I bought a little .22 just because I didn't know any better, but after I took some classes and shot some of my instructors guns I decided on the 1911 S&W pro series. Its a 9mm and it has no recoil whatsoever. Its very smooth and easy to shoot!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Uncomfortable carry often results in no carry at all. . .

The thing that seems to affect carry the most for the ladies in my life (sample size of 7) isn't discomfort, but an unwillingness to accommodate their dress, at all, to facilitate carry. They want to dress the way they want to dress and simply add carry to that - not really viewing it as a system.

It's all fine and dandy, as long as one realizes that it limits the options.

So, maybe to uncomfortable we can add inconvenient. Inconvenient carry also often results in no carry at all with the ladies

In practice it's a continuum of more comfortable vs less comfortable and more convenient vs less convenient; all against what a woman will settle for.

Me, I start with the goal and work backwards tweaking things to make it work.

Crossbow

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I own and shoot several 1911's in 45.
    I carry a Smith&Wesson Model 351PD 22magnum in my purse.
    It has a great HI-Viz sight. It has 7 rounds available. It's easy to shoot. It's accurate. Extra ammo takes up very little space.
    Most importantly; it only weighs about 10.5 ounces, (and not much more when fully loaded), yet it's a full size pistol and not a little tiny toy-looking gun.
    I carry it all the time, everywhere I go and I do not have to change my wardrobe.;)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The thing that seems to affect carry the most for the ladies in my life (sample size of 7) isn't discomfort, but an unwillingness to accommodate their dress, at all, to facilitate carry. They want to dress the way they want to dress and simply add carry to that - not really viewing it as a system.

It's all fine and dandy, as long as one realizes that it limits the options.

So, maybe to uncomfortable we can add inconvenient. Inconvenient carry also often results in no carry at all with the ladies

In practice it's a continuum of more comfortable vs less comfortable and more convenient vs less convenient; all against what a woman will settle for.

Me, I start with the goal and work backwards tweaking things to make it work.
    Yes, convenience is definitely a factor. And the female fashion doesn't lend itself to easy concealment. Which is why I gave up and just OC. :D

not a little tiny toy-looking gun.
    I would rather someone carry a 2-shot Derringer than nothing at all. Who cares what it looks like?

I do not have to change my wardrobe.;)
    Where/how do you carry it?

skyeyes70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Fishers
    Great feedback and a lot to think about still. At one time, I thought I would be okay with carrying in my purse, but when I was talking with a friend that trains for ccw in another state and told her this, she literally attacked me yelling "get your gun now!!!" The only way I even considered after this was to carry on my person.

Top Bottom