• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Great feedback and a lot to think about still. At one time, I thought I would be okay with carrying in my purse, but when I was talking with a friend that trains for ccw in another state and told her this, she literally attacked me yelling "get your gun now!!!" The only way I even considered after this was to carry on my person.
    If someone was on you physically, could you get to, deploy, and fire your EDC on your body during the scramble?

wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If you like the LCP except for the slide not locking back after the last shot, you could check out the S&W bodyguard 380. They are very similar in size & weight, but the slide locks back on an empty clip so all you have to do is pop in the next clip, hit the slide lock and go. It also features a safety and has a built in laser, which my wife thinks is cool.

Last edited:

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Uncomfortable carry often results in no carry at all.

This! I shot a lot and made some bad purchases in my quest...and it really is just that. It's fun to study and try each one out. Shoot your top favorites a few times but know that what you like today, may not be what you are wearing in a year. I had an M&P 9c that I loved to shoot and shot well, but I decided it was important to carry with one in the chamber and without an external safety it had to go. I wanted an LCP because the size made it easy to conceal just about anywhere...but I wasn't accurate with it. Right now I'm partial to the Shield...but I got bit by the 1911 bug so that may be changing soon...

I'm not as brave as 88GT so I don't OC. I do carry it on me but I've learned a few lessons about still dressing like a girl. I have several holsters for the same pistol so that it is easily concealed no mater where I have to carry that day.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    This! I shot a lot and made some bad purchases in my quest...and it really is just that. It's fun to study and try each one out. Shoot your top favorites a few times but know that what you like today, may not be what you are wearing in a year. I had an M&P 9c that I loved to shoot and shot well, but I decided it was important to carry with one in the chamber and without an external safety it had to go. I wanted an LCP because the size made it easy to conceal just about anywhere...but I wasn't accurate with it. Right now I'm partial to the Shield...but I got bit by the 1911 bug so that may be changing soon...

Good points. I've changed EDC about 3 times for various reasons. The 1911 was one of them, but I decided that personally I didn't want to have to deal with the safety if I had to deploy the firearm. I've got waaaay too much Glock experience and muscle memory. And not enough practice/training with the 1911 for that purpose. But aside from that, the 1911 is easily concealable due to the slim, single-stack. Though the grip safety can poke. And the grips can be downright scratchy.

I'm not as brave as 88GT so I don't OC.
    It's not bravery. It's laziness. I got tired of trying to find a wardrobe, holster, and firearm set-up. You'd become more comfortable with it if you just did it. Do it this weekend. C'mon, do it.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    LOL! You are such a bad influence!

I so told myself I would never own a 1911 because I couldn't justify the expense...then I shot one...then a few others... Now I'm filling up the firearm fund again and stalking Bradis. It's only a matter of time...

Crossbow

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Tippecanoe Co.
    88GT,
    Who cares what it looks like is the Bad-Guy you're pointing the gun at. If it is a tiny NAA 22 revolver, you may have to be forced to shoot him just to prove it's a real gun. It's not that I'm not prepaired to pull the trigger if I have to, but I would prefer to try to scare Mr. Bad-Guy into going away first. If that isn't working then--BANG,BANG.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    88GT,
    I carry in a holster/purse.
    Thanks. I think others benefit from knowing what we carry and how we carry it. Sort of the "It can be done" thing.

88GT,
    Who cares what it looks like is the Bad-Guy you're pointing the gun at. If it is a tiny NAA 22 revolver, you may have to be forced to shoot him just to prove it's a real gun. It's not that I'm not prepaired to pull the trigger if I have to, but I would prefer to try to scare Mr. Bad-Guy into going away first. If that isn't working then--BANG,BANG.
    I'm not sure I buy the logic behind this. There's always a chance anything could happen. I just don't know that there's evidence this is common enough thought process in the BGs to warrant using it as a major factor in weighing firearm choices, particularly if it means a greater likelihood that the alternative won't be carried because it's bigger/heavier/harder to shoot/etc.

At any rate, I would recommend against smaller calibers on a different principle anyway.

Crossbow

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Tippecanoe Co.
    In my not-so-humble opinion; I think a really BIG gun is always the best option when confronting a bad-guy, but they are not always convenient to carry.

I agree any gun is better than your fingernail file.

Crossbow

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Tippecanoe Co.
    Well, for me, a BIG gun means my S&W1911 45acp or my S&W625 Revolver in 45acp. When I OC it is usually with the 1911, when I just want to CC, it's with my S&W351PD 22mag. If I have to go to Indy or Chicago I'll try to CC both.

skyeyes70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Fishers
    I think that whatever it is, once you start firing, a bad guy is going to know you mean business. I would never even pull mine out unless I was ready to fire. I'm not threatening to shoot someone, I'm shooting someone! I hope you don't take that the wrong way! I am not wanting to shoot anyone! BUT, if it ever gets to the point where I have to pull out a gun, then that means, I'm at the point where I'm going to shoot. If I'm not at the point, then I don't need to pull out my gun to scare someone! A gun is not to scare anyone, it is to shoot them!

Magolin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    I carry a Glock 26 IWB just behind my hip. I'm 5'5" 130lbs. It's not 100% concealed all the time like with a fitted tshirt it certainly prints, but that's not terribly important to me. I shoot it well. I like shooting it well enough (I prefer the G19 at the range) to practice with it. I usually wear jeans, but I can wear it in the same spot with dress pants and a belt. I rarely go anywhere one of the two isn't an option. I also wear it riding my horse wearing either breeches or jeans.

Its not 100% concealed all the time with tighter shirts, but well enough that I've never had a non gun owner seem to notice it. It's more important to me to carry what I'm comfortable with shooting and put up with the occasional inconvenience of a larger pistol than carry something smaller that I hate shooting. I'm sure there will be others in the future, but for now the G26 is what I carry.

MacEoghan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2013
    Franklin
    I bought a S&W M&P9 shield for my girlfriend. She enjoys shooting it, but she doesn't quite have the hand strength to rack the slide. Now she has got her eye on a pink revolver she saw at a local shop. I guess the more she likes the looks, the more she will want to practice with it.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I bought a S&W M&P9 shield for my girlfriend. She enjoys shooting it, but she doesn't quite have the hand strength to rack the slide. Now she has got her eye on a pink revolver she saw at a local shop. I guess the more she likes the looks, the more she will want to practice with it.

Most women seem to try racking the slide by pulling the slide back. If they are right handed, they are often trying to do this with their left (weaker) hand. Have her hold the slide in her left hand and push the gun forward with her right/dominant hand. (reverse if left handed). This works so much better!!!

I prefer to carry my .45 ACP (I have a Taurus and a Springfield) and that can be either in a holster in my waistband or in my purse. My purse is not a CC purse, but one that has a center pocket that is easily accessible and conceals it well. I have practiced removing my gun and feel I could do it in an emergency just as fast as getting it out of the holster on my waist. If I am just running errands locally or working in the yard where I feel I would be less likely to need it, I carry my Taurus PT22. Nice and small, easy to conceal and doesn't really look like a "little 22". Again...even a 22 is better than a nail file. I've had people ask me what that is when I show it to them as they tend to think it is a bigger caliber based on appearance. I like it because I am very accurate with it as well.

MacEoghan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2013
    Franklin
    Yeah, she tried that. She can do it that way, but it's a struggle and only works for her about 60-70% of the time. Not really odds that I feel good about. It is the toughest one to pull back I have ever owned. I looked it up and a lot of others had this same experience. It's a great gun, just not for everyone. I would definitely trust my life with it, but not hers. Took her out shopping around and she was able to pull back just about every other gun she tried.

I know what you mean about the 22's looking bigger. I love the look of the Walther P22's! Beautiful gun, totally looks like a 9mm or .40.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have had several guess that mine is a 38. I like the nickel barrel...catches your eye.

Top Bottom