• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    After the last Tornado I loaned out my chain saw which eventually came back in less than stellar condition. Yesterday we faired a little better no house or barn damage. All the kids are accounted for and doing well.

long story short we have 5 large trees down that some will be ok where they are at and two of them need to be moved yesterday. I got out this am and moved them so we could get 4 wheeler etc through. But now I need to get a new chainsaw.

Having just spent too much for a refrigerator and dishwasher that lasted just past their warranty. I am looking for some thoughts on possible replacement saws. Are any of them still worth a hoot ? Or should I just go to the coop and get one with the understanding that it’s going to be a pia to use and will not last?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have a Stihl farmboss that has been flawless for about 8 years now. It’s the most reliable pull start machine I’ve ever owned.

That being said, I’m seriously considering buying a dewalt battery chainsaw for smaller projects. We have one at work and it’s a beast.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I have a Stihl farmboss that has been flawless for about 8 years now. It’s the most reliable pull start machine I’ve ever owned.

That being said, I’m seriously considering buying a dewalt battery chainsaw for smaller projects. We have one at work and it’s a beast.
    Beast as in downed trees? was wondering about cost of charger battery etc and actual working time?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Stihl or husky. Imo it’s more about having a good dealer as both saws are used by professionals. If you buy a residential saw don’t be surprised that it’s not commercial quality.
    That’s where the kicker comes in may not be apples to apples but we bought allegedly high end appliances that lasted no longer that the lower priced and I mean lower priced by a lot.

At this point we may just go to the feed store and pick one up at least we will not have to pay the sales tax. Which going to the big box store they do not seem to be able to process an ag tax exempt item.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Beast as in downed trees? was wondering about cost of charger battery etc and actual working time?
    Check some youtube reviews of Dewalt chainsaws. Dewalt makes a few different battery models.
    The Project Farm is by far the best head to head comparison review channel I've found.
    I basically check out The Project Farm videos anytime I'm considering spending money on "guy stuff".
    :)

Last edited:

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    I enjoyed my Stihl farmboss, still in the fam, just not here now. I went to terpstras out in Griffith and picked up an Echo Timberwolf. Issues with first one starting, took it back for a new one, and starts right up. Haven’t put it to wood yet, but I have used the neighbors Timberwolf before I got this one. Did the job.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I bought two, never used Craftsman on Facebook Marketplace. $100 each for a 16" and 20". Just cut up a 100' I took down, into firewood...

So far, I'm impressed...

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    After the last Tornado I loaned out my chain saw which eventually came back in less than stellar condition. Yesterday we faired a little better no house or barn damage. All the kids are accounted for and doing well.

long story short we have 5 large trees down that some will be ok where they are at and two of them need to be moved yesterday. I got out this am and moved them so we could get 4 wheeler etc through. But now I need to get a new chainsaw.

Having just spent too much for a refrigerator and dishwasher that lasted just past their warranty. I am looking for some thoughts on possible replacement saws. Are any of them still worth a hoot ? Or should I just go to the coop and get one with the understanding that it’s going to be a pia to use and will not last?
    First question is how big are the trees?

What saw do you currently have? The newer consumer grade stuff is not built as durable as the older stuff.

Is there a place to buy used or rent nearby?

Stihl, Husqvarna/Jonsered, Echo, Dolmar in that order, unless you have a certain dealer nearby. Stay away from battery unless it's only for limbing.

Last edited:

Hatchet601

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2022
    Evansville

Stihl, Husky and echo make some good reliable saws. Quality chain can make an OK saw much better.

I run a 290 Farm Boss with a 20” bar and “yellow” chains. I find this is a great do it all saw. Ideally would have a larger and smaller saw like a 390, and 170 but one saw has worked for me.

The yellow vs green chain (marked on the chain box) makes a world of difference.

I have only used non ethanol fuel, starts in a couple pulls. I have 4 acres and burn a few cords of wood I cut and split.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I’ve got a MS290 Farm Boss and have had it for probably close to 20 years now. Though it doesn’t get the work out a serious user would put it through, it’s done a good job for me. As Hatchet mentioned above, I always put the ‘yellow’ chains on it and they do well.

My only complaint is that it’s on the heavy side. I have thought about buying a smaller one just for limbing.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Ours at work has maybe a 16 inch bar, possibly only 14, so it wouldn’t be practical for larger trees, but it’s battery life is impressive, and it has plenty of power. It would be perfect for clearing brush and smaller trees, though.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    A chainsaw should be a buy once cry once purchase, a crap saw will make your life miserable. That being said, good used saws are fairly cheap on marketplace. The last husky I bought had some kind of "x-something" chain that was awesome. A Stihl or Husqvarna with 16 bar that doesn't look beat up should last a homeowner for years. My neighbor swears by pure fuel I think it's called. Says his saw runs much better on it.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Some of the newer expensive ones, stihl I believe, have electronic fuel injection, and supposedly run better and start easier.

I use a 16 inch battery Dewalt saw for keeping Trails cleared. It's good up to even medium-sized trees, but for the price of the saw and three or four 9ah batteries, you could probably have a quality Stihl gas powered.

I like not having to mess with gas and such with the battery powered, and I just throw it in the basket on the tractor when I head out to clear trails. Between the saw and the tractor grapple, there's not much I can't get cleared off the trail so I can bush hog.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    First question is how big are the trees?

What saw do you currently have? The newer consumer grade stuff is not built as durable as the older stuff.

Is there a place to buy used or rent nearby?

Stihl, Husqvarna/Jonsered, Echo, Dolmar in that order, unless you have a certain dealer nearby. Stay away from battery unless it's only for limbing.
    We had an Echo until I made the poor choice to loan it out.

Here is one of the smaller ones nearest to the house. 92D50A24-FAF8-47E0-9EF7-F5CE9A9F9CA5.jpeg

Top Bottom