• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I've had my Husqvarna 455 Rancher for about 8 years. I dropped it off the truck and ran over it, straightened the bar and use it to cut wood to heat our home and we go through about 3½ to 4 cord of wood per year. She wears nothing but TSC chains, I've used Husqvarna and Oregon chains and they don't last as long or cut as good.

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    I'd suggest two things...buy a pro series Husquvarna and NEVER loan it out. If a friend needs to cut a downed tree or "something" else, I go and use the saw. He can drag the brush and clean up. You never know how they'll treat it or what kind of fuel/oil will be put into it. Also, only use alcohol-free (REC) fuel.
    Not sure if most are dedicated now??? But I remember watching something about when obtaining alcohol-free fuel from a pump that changes fuel for that line by which button you press, put a little in your car first. There is normally about 1/3 of a gallon of whatever the last person used in the line. This will makes a big difference when you are filling up a 1 gallon gas can or so….

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I bought two, never used Craftsman on Facebook Marketplace. $100 each for a 16" and 20". Just cut up a 100' I took down, into firewood...

So far, I'm impressed...
    Poulan used to make craftsman saws and will do for some folks.. I had one to start out and bought some used stihl saws. Sold the craftsman the next day. Guy a helped cut wood thought the sun rose and set on poulan saws and bought 3 in a year or so.. paid more than my used stihl 029. I still have that saw and he’s bought more poulan wild things and has lots of parts saws that he has overworked and claims he can’t afford to by a good used stihl…;)
    I have several stihl saws and from a 023 to a 460. The most used is the 311 & 460.
    I have a wood boiler and cut wood often for myself, a son and my neighbor
    As stated cry once and be done.. or buy 19 poulans and have lots of spare parts..

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I ran a tank of gas through my Echo cs 590 today and my Stihl ms250. Tree branch fell on the truck across the street. First time running a chainsaw standing on the hood of a truck. I've ran the same chain on the 590 for the last 3 weekends probably 10 hours of cutting time without sharpening. The Stihl is used for the smaller stuff as its a lighter saw. I cut a half acre of brush, bushes, vines and 3-4" diameter trees with the Stihl last Sunday. Nicked concrete with the Stihl today. Should have stopped and moved the log.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Check marketplace or craigslist for a used stihl 46 series (046, 460, 461, 462). It will probably be cheaper than a new farm saw and last the rest of your life assuming you dont loan it out lol. Plus they’re super easy to work on. If you have a flat head and a t27 you can tear it down to nothing and put it back together in an afternoon lol.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I have a stihl MS391 with a 25" bar that is AWESOME for bigger stuff, a stihl MS311 with a 20" bar for medium sized stuff, and a Milwaukee battery operated with a 16" bar that is my go-to for everything else. I can't tell you how great the milwaukee is for most things. Ii would have never believed that little "playschool" battery powered saw works as well as it does. Between that, and a grapple on my tractor, the work gets done.
    This guy has the right idea. I have a Stihl Farm Boss and a 180. Just bought a Milwaukee 16 and it gets all the use on anything under 8“. Battery is the way to go for trimming and general clean up.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Had an Old (25 yrs) Husqvarna that was a Beast.
    From others' post on here, they May have lessened in Quality recently (a Peril suffered by Too Many things these days).
    I'm Physically Out of much Chain-sawing these days!
    Friend has a Stihl that he Swears by.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I picked up a Stihl MS251 a couple years ago. Two Poulans in the shed I'll sell for $50.00 if anyone wants them. LoL. Rec 90 gas and higher grade oil have been a game changer also.

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    I picked up a Stihl MS251 a couple years ago. Two Poulans in the shed I'll sell for $50.00 if anyone wants them. LoL. Rec 90 gas and higher grade oil have been a game changer also.
    Sounds like the thread to sell em’. Need to advertise for people to buy a nice “loner saw” for all those people with work or other acquaintances in need…

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Another vote for the Stihl MS251 ........I have that one , a Farm Boss and a 171 that you can`t beat for limbing . My hands are wearing out and the lightweight 171 is awesome after using for long periods ,.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    There is not a lot to add to what has been posted here. I would typically never buy anything but a Stihl for myself.

BUT: anything said about any saw that is older than a couple of years old is of little or no value to anyone considering buying a new saw. Between regulation of small engines, the need to meet price points to be competitive, and supply chain issues new saws are very different than older saws.

It is best practice to run only ethanol free gas or the pure gas to keep them running at their best. I have heard it recommended to buy a spare carb or two and or rebuild kits to have on hand as a prep to keep the old ones running.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Poulan used to make craftsman saws and will do for some folks.. I had one to start out and bought some used stihl saws. Sold the craftsman the next day. Guy a helped cut wood thought the sun rose and set on poulan saws and bought 3 in a year or so.. paid more than my used stihl 029. I still have that saw and he’s bought more poulan wild things and has lots of parts saws that he has overworked and claims he can’t afford to by a good used stihl…;)
    I have several stihl saws and from a 023 to a 460. The most used is the 311 & 460.
    I have a wood boiler and cut wood often for myself, a son and my neighbor
    As stated cry once and be done.. or buy 19 poulans and have lots of spare parts..

No doubt Stihl is the best. For my occasional use at a new to me rural property, it's hard to beat the Craftsman.

A quick search shows they are made by Husqvarna and so far, its started first pull every time. If it acts up, I have one unopened just sitting there waiting for me.

And if I decide to go fancy and pick up a Stihl, I know where to go for advice!

I follow the two is one and one is none philosophy when I'm out there, time is more valuable to me than money. Deals are to be had on Marketplace...I picked up a spare new Husqvarna blower last month. When the leaves fall, there's no time to spare...

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    But I remember watching something about when obtaining alcohol-free fuel from a pump that changes fuel for that line by which button you press, put a little in your car first. There is normally about 1/3 of a gallon of whatever the last person used in the line. This will makes a big difference when you are filling up a 1 gallon gas can or so….
    Chicanic has a video addressing the single fuel pump hose issue.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    When it comes to homeowner grade saws, I think the Stihl Farm boss saws are better built than the Husky Ranchers.

Step up to pro level saws and it's a pick-um.

I picked Husqvarna because my local dealer is cool and the Stihl dealer is a d-bag.

Been running the same Husky 359 since 2008, feeding a hungry outdoor boiler. So it's been through some wood.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I have an Echo cs-400, my brother and brother in law both have Echo Cs-590 Timberwolf. All of our have ran great for years. I only cut wood for camping and clearing trails, so i went with the cheaper and lighter saw, but it does great on bigger stuff. The Timberwolves will cut anything you throw at them and haven't had any issues at all.

Personally you cant go wront with Echo, Stihl, or Husqvarna. Just go with whatever dealer is closest and choose the right saw for the job. I know I could have went with the bigger saw, but the lighter one is soo much handier and easier on me for what I need done.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    Poulan Wild Thing saws... most are a joke and junk for anyone needing a saw that will get a lot of use.

I bought from Menards 16+ years back and my sister bought one shortly after. Her saw lasted about 6 months and mine still runs. I only use it for light stuff and trimming as the Husqvarna is a little heavy for that. I also take it to the woods for that oops moment when I get the Husqvarna pinched and need something to free it.

Top Bottom