• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I have a stihl ms391 with 25” bar. Great saw.
    Also have a 30 year old jonsered 16” bar that is a great saw. Unfortunately, jonsered is now husqvarna.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    We had an Echo until I made the poor choice to loan it out.

Here is one of the smaller ones nearest to the house. View attachment 259984
    If you will be dealing mostly with trees of this size I would recommend getting a MS261 or MS362 if you have some substantially larger.
    An older 036 is also really handy.

Get on Bailey's and get a couple of the Woodland Pro semi chisel chains.

Should be set for life then.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    If you will be dealing mostly with trees of this size I would recommend getting a MS261 or MS362 if you have some substantially larger.

Provided it does not get loaned out lol.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

What are the differences between the MS2XX’s and the MS3XX’s?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    What are the differences between the MS2XX’s and the MS3XX’s?
    It's not as much a difference between 2xx and 3xx. The 261 and 362 are Pro grade saws so they are built a little different. Lighter weight, better AV, better filtration, some better parts throughout.
    Generally the engines get more powerful as the numbers increase

They make consumer grade saws the same 2xx and 3xx numbers such as the MS290/310/390. These will be heavier, have more plastic, not as good filtration and just not as good of parts throughout.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a 20in Homelight XL that I bought used in the middle 80's. We heated solely with wood for four years, so it got a workout then. The saw still does me well for the occasional need now.

I bought a Milwaukee trimmer last year and since then a couple more M18 tools to go along with the extra battery purchases. I have been thinking of springing for one of the new M18 Hatchets for trimming downed branches and the like. Anyone have experience with these?

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    I learned quickly not to loan out saws. Expensive lesson.
    I loaned one once, told the guy to keep it out of the dirt. He cleaned it up before returning it. Said it was a quick bush cut, all good. Went to cut up some logs in a kinda hurry. More people were coming to get theirs in this haul. When cleaning the guy put chain on backwards. Lol. Smoked for a bit then realized what he did, minor set back, could’ve been much worse.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I have a stihl MS391 with a 25" bar that is AWESOME for bigger stuff, a stihl MS311 with a 20" bar for medium sized stuff, and a Milwaukee battery operated with a 16" bar that is my go-to for everything else. I can't tell you how great the milwaukee is for most things. Ii would have never believed that little "playschool" battery powered saw works as well as it does. Between that, and a grapple on my tractor, the work gets done.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    My 16 yo Stihl 251?, 18” Does most of the work. My 40+ yo McCullough 650 that my dad bought new, 16”, has more power than the Stihl, but is heavier and sees less and less work. For the big stuff, my Echo 27”, 670 I think, that I bought used at an auction about 8 years ago is a beast. A good sharp blade will make a world of difference on whatever saw you use. Marketplace has a ton of used saws, some at good prices.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Some will say I'm crazy, but I bought a Stihl 170 from my local Deere dealer a few years ago just for limbing. Even with minimal vibration control, it is SO much lighter than the bigger saws. Hencely it gets way more of the work than I had planned.

Top Bottom