• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I thought he would get some kind of discipline for use of unnecessary force, only because it went viral. I didn't expect don't come in tomorrow.
    In hindsight, it was ruled ok.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    It sure didn't look like the K9 officer heard anything coming out of a radio. He was pretty laser focused
    Would it not be his responsibility to find out from the other ten or so LEO's that were on the scene before he arrived. Before he decided to release his dog?
    Seems prudent before using the force he unleashed.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Would it not be his responsibility to find out from the other ten or so LEO's that were on the scene before he arrived. Before he decided to release his dog?
    We have no idea what was said before the video by who to whom. We really don't know a lot.

I didn't say he was right though. The investigation said he did nothing wrong. If he did nothing wrong, then he should not have been fired. It would probably be prudent to release the findings of the investigation to the public though.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    We have no idea what was said before the video by who to whom. We really don't know a lot.

I didn't say he was right though. The investigation said he did nothing wrong. If he did nothing wrong, then he should not have been fired. It would probably be prudent to release the findings of the investigation to the public though.
    Yeah like what dept. "standard and expectation" did he violate when the use of force review board determined that the department's policy for the use of canines was followed in the apprehension and arrest. This is all the dept. said about the termination. Sounds like it was tailor made to counter a BLM call to action.

"Speakman's actions during the review of his canine apprehension of suspect Jadarrius Rose on July 4 show that Officer Speakman did not meet the standards and expectations we hold for our police officers," the department said.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Good morning KG1.
    if it is okay to sic your dog on a guy in this situation, is it also okay to shoot him? how different would the situational requirements be?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Good morning KG1.
    if it is okay to sic your dog on a guy in this situation, is it also okay to shoot him? how different would the situational requirements be?
    The difference between using a taser and using a gun. The dog wasn't trying to kill him. It was restraining him.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yeah like what dept. "standard and expectation" did he violate .
    You'd be surprised how many smaller departments don't have standards in writing. You cannot violate what was not defined. It's actually scary. If I was a lawyer, I'd make a killing off these.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Good morning KG1.
    I'd be VERY careful pulling a gun out whilst surrounded by a bunch of police. IT MIGHT NOT GO WELL... In Indiana, research IC 35-41-3-2, it could support such an action, depending on the circumstances.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    You'd be surprised how many smaller departments don't have standards in writing. You cannot violate what was not defined. It's actually scary. If I was a lawyer, I'd make a killing off these.
    This was my thinking too. Were there any explicit defined dept. standards that were issued. If so what specifically are those standards? I think the dept should expand on that and explain how the K-9 officer violated those standards that warranted termination.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This was my thinking too. Were there any explicit defined dept. standards that were issued. If so what specifically are those standards? I think the dept should expand on that and explain how the K-9 officer violated those standards that warranted termination.
    And why what he did didn't go against policy. If they didn't have one, say so. Give the public the information that went into all of these decisions.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Similar to the Military
    Article 133 - Conduct Unbecoming an Officer and Gentleman
    Not technically written down - but you know it when you see it

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    And why what he did didn't go against policy. If they didn't have one, say so. Give the public the information that went into all of these decisions.
    I guess the standard that he violated was not considering the optics.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    The perspective we have is from the officer that appeared, at points, to be the furthest away from the situation. What information did the officer receive enroute to the scene? Did he communicate with anyone unable to be seen in the video? Were all the officers on the scene on the same page as far as tactics and situational awareness? Did the officer have personal knowledge of the driver and possible history of violence? We really cant see the suspect very well, perhaps he made movements that would cause a reasonable officer to believe he was attempting to get a weapon.

It sounds like your assuming the officer didn't do anything like that simply based on the outcome. We have no video from the other angles, no witness statements, no copies of reports. Without having a full and complete investigation and report of ALL the facts. We are left to speculate.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    My agency didn't have written formal SOPs for at least 5 years. Double-edged.

I didn't/couldn't conduct vehicle inventories because of it. More than once I was accused of being lazy because other departments refused to believe we didn't have written SOPs. It was unfathomable.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The perspective we have is from the officer that appeared, at points, to be the furthest away from the situation. What information did the officer receive enroute to the scene? Did he communicate with anyone unable to be seen in the video? Were all the officers on the scene on the same page as far as tactics and situational awareness? Did the officer have personal knowledge of the driver and possible history of violence? We really cant see the suspect very well, perhaps he made movements that would cause a reasonable officer to believe he was attempting to get a weapon.

It sounds like your assuming the officer didn't do anything like that simply based on the outcome. We have no video from the other angles, no witness statements, no copies of reports. Without having a full and complete investigation and report of ALL the facts. We are left to speculate.
    Awe, Bless your Heart.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It certainly does seem like the Troopers could have and should have been more vocally forceful in communicating to the K-9 officer not to release the K-9 if they were feeling that it wasn't warranted at the time. It was only after the K-9 was released that they started shouting NO! Get the dog off of him! By that time, it was too late.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It certainly does seem like the Troopers could have and should have been more vocally forceful in communicating to the K-9 officer not to release the K-9 if they were feeling that it wasn't warranted at the time. It was only after the K-9 was released that they started shouting NO! Get the dog off of him! By that time, it was too late.
    There seemed to be a general lack of communication between the two groups pf officers. The K9 officer went charging up to the suspect barking orders at him which conflicted with the ones the troopers had already been giving him. He didn't give the guy much of a chance to process what was going on either. It was like 30 seconds from the time the dog was out of the vehicle until he was released

Top Bottom