• ...and so much more!
  • mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    How do you fire someone, if he did what he was trained to do and did it by the book?

I agree, except that I don't believe it's in the training to let the dog Chomp on a relatively compliant human, if it turns out that that's what happened. It's hard to know what he saw from his angle as he came up on-scene. Would be interesting to see footage from his angle.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Speaking for all white people, I usually start out assuming the person had an ass whipping coming until I see or hear evidence to the contrary.
    Yep, our dad would tell us, boys don't be going to Prince Georgia's Co tonight for fun.
    That could get you an a$$ beating and a Hardwood Shampoo.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I agree, except that I don't believe it's in the training to let the dog Chomp on a relatively compliant human, if it turns out that that's what happened. It's hard to know what he saw from his angle as he came up on-scene. Would be interesting to see footage from his angle.

They did a review and said it was.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN

Maybe he considered a 30 min chase ... NON-Compliant

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    How do you fire someone, if he did what he was trained to do and did it by the book?
    This is absolutely the state of law enforcement today nationwide. And even if they can't find a way to charge you, they will make you look guilty and let the court of public opinion deal justice to you and your family.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well, It will be interesting to see what comes from the Ohio Policemen's Benevolent Fund.

Ohio is an employment-at-will state, which means that in the absence of a written employment agreement or a collective bargaining agreement, either the employer or the employee may terminate employment for any reason that is not contrary to law.
    Even if a state is an "employment at will" state (Indiana is), generally, there is a measure of due process afforded to police officers and other public servants. Ohio has such a procedure for suspending and firing officers found in Chapter 737 of the Ohio Revised Code.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Even if a state is an "employment at will" state (Indiana is), generally, there is a measure of due process afforded to police officers and other public servants. Ohio has such a procedure for suspending and firing officers found in Chapter 737 of the Ohio Revised Code.
    Very interesting, Thank you.

Edit,
    A quick read of 737.12
    Why would LE and the FD have a special carve out?

Last edited:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Where are you guys finding the video from the K9 officer (photos of him show him wearing a body camera) to make the determination on the appropriateness of this use of force?

I have only seen the video from 1 perspective.
    I am still personally waiting to form my own opinion till we get more information. If there were other officers with cameras activated, where are those perspectives?

We clearly hear what appears to be a trooper requesting the dog not be released. The camera picking that up is directly next to the officer. Could the K9 officer hear that? If you have ever been on the side of an interstate, it can be quite difficult to hear, even without traffic (officer could also have an ear peace, could have radio traffic on his portable radio, could be communicating with another closer officer), Add in distance, maybe 70 feet guessing from the angles.

From that perspective, the K9 officer is observing a non-compliant suspect (I understand it is reported that the suspect claims he was receiving conflicting commands, but again, could the other officers hear the conflicting commands as well?) from a lengthy pursuit involving a vehicle that could inflict life changing damage upon the public with ease and little consequence to the suspect. Could be easy to to believe he needs to make a quick decision on force.

Force, lawful or unlawful, rarely looks pretty. Violence can be ugly and disturbing.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Very interesting, Thank you.

Edit,
    A quick read of 737.12
    Why would LE and the FD have a special carve out?

Painting with a broad brush, to keep them from being suspended or fired for purely political reasons which would violate the 1st Amendment. Private employers can fire people for political reasons if they want to, but the gvt. cannot because the 1st Am. applies to them, not private employers.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Painting with a broad brush, to keep them from being suspended or fired for purely political reasons which would violate the 1st Amendment. Private employers can fire people for political reasons if they want to, but the gvt. cannot because the 1st Am. applies to them, not private employers.
    Thanks again.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This. 100% It allows me to do what is right for the situation I'm presented with (within the law and department policy of course) without worrying about political ramifications...i.e. losing my job for doing so.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Fellow officers on scene disagreed with the handler's use of his k9. That speaks volumes. Also, the performance of the handler and k9 appeared disjointed; didn't initially engage correct human, had to be redirected, then handler struggled to control animal and disengage. So much chaos and variables but speaking strictly to the videos presented in this thread, there is no evidence that puts me on the side of the k9 and his handler. Unfortunately this k9 is gonna be on what, his 3rd handler? (I assume the officer loses his job but k9 is reassigned??)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    We clearly hear what appears to be a trooper requesting the dog not be released. The camera picking that up is directly next to the officer. Could the K9 officer hear that?
    I wondered the same. It sounded like he was talking to himself more than yelling to the other officer.

Top Bottom