• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I will just be happy with my like new Remington Rand that's been sitting in my safe in the cardboard box it was shipped in.

Although mine isn't new I've been told I stole it! As much as I'd like to add another to the safe I'm guessing they'll go QUITE a bit higher than I'll be willing to pay. That said though I'll probably submit the paperwork and find out what the price of admission is.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    [STRIKE]I have been to the CMP store in Port Clinton but bought some misc stuff, no firearms.

I have my C&R FFL. Do they honor this if I were to show up to buy one?
    [/STRIKE]
    Thanks,

Doug

EDIT: I see on their site that they will not accept C&R license holders. This sucks.:(

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Although mine isn't new I've been told I stole it! As much as I'd like to add another to the safe I'm guessing they'll go QUITE a bit higher than I'll be willing to pay. That said though I'll probably submit the paperwork and find out what the price of admission is.

So...another braggart who's got his and is going to steal a seat from a future wannabe? :bat: :laugh: Congrats and good luck.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Getting a membership in a CMP club is challenging, too. I found one locally that will allow new members to join, but it takes a lot of work and cash. Even Appleseed requires close to $100 to attend a training sessions and qualify on the line.

I think I will just sit this one out and pick up one from someone who decides they want to cash out for retirement or to save their marriage (since momma has a different idea of what is worth $1K).:rolleyes:

Join the Garand Collectors association for $25 a year. That covers the club , plus you get a nice magazine a few times a year. As for the shooting requirement, your LTCH covers that. Both my brother and I have bought from the CMP using these two for the requirement

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    CMP knows full well no matter how much they charge, someone would be happy to buy it. And there are a lot of "someone's" out there, specially when the economy is on a up swing.

I personally don't see the appeal of these old "bag of parts" guns.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I will stir the pot and little more for you Thor, I traded a Browning Hi-Power for it in 1979. Old guy that I got it from had two more in boxes. I won't try to get another one, you guys can go for it. Hope all of you guys that want one, get one.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Some info I got over the summer

CMP M1911A1 Status

Mr. Mark Johnson, the CMP Chief Operating Officer, gave the group of folks in the Range Officer Class some updates on the CMP’s M1911A1 Sales prospects. As those of you who have been following this know, it has been a real bureaucratic and political boondoggle and continues to be one.

But, the good news; the M1911A1’s are gathered up and packed in shipping containers, set aside awaiting the authorization to ship them to CMP. But, the picture gets more muddled from there.

The pistols need to be released by the Assistant Secretary of the Army (ASoA).

The previous authorizing legislation said that the ASoA “may” release them. The previous ASoA declined to do so for various internal and external reasons. This year’s enabling legislation says that the ASoA “will” release them, not a choice he needs to make. But – there is no ASoA; his appointment has been caught up in the decision of one political party to impede the functionality of the present administration in every way it can. Whoever is appointed is going to be buried and it is unlikely that these pistols are going to be one of his top priorities.

Then, there are all of the congressional roadblocks to the program.

Having an organization chartered by Congress (CMP) selling handguns to civilians gives the anti-gun people spasms. Whereas CMP can conduct an on-line background check and deliver an M1 rifle to your door; to sell M1911A1 pistols CMP had to register as an FFL holder – and M1911A1 sales and transfers will have to be done through an FFL holder. Reports continue to circulate that there will be sold on the Internet to anyone who signs up for them.

A further roadblock; one proposal is to only allow a small initial sale (maybe 5,000 pistols), then wait a year and see how many of these guns are traced through crime reports as having been used in crimes.

The people in Congress who have to act on these proposals do not know what an M1911A1 is; Mr. Johnson is making the rounds to the appropriate people telling the story “This is not a cheap pistol that Bubba is going to throw under the seat of his truck, it is a collector item that goes in a gun safe”.

Some other details:

CMP learned from M1 sales. There will be a one gun per year limit on sales. When they announce that the sales will start on x-date, they expect over 10K applications in the next mail delivery- seriously!

They are not going to be cheap, expect $800 and up depending on grade and manufacturer. The enabling legislation requires the CMP to sell these at “ … fair market value …”. Mr. Johnson made the comment “Let me know if you can find an original M1911A1 for under $500 anywhere and I’ll buy it”. Remington’s go for $800 -$900 +. A CMP 1911A1 may come in a collector case. The price will probably have an FFL transfer fee built into it – the buyer will not have to pay an additional transfer fee.

There may be a lot of pieces and parts that can be built up into CMP special grade pistols – to be seen. Look for an “as-issued M1911A1” match at the CMP National Pistol Matches.

He makes absolutely no prediction as to “when” – just that this probably will happen – whenever.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013

The vast majority of Garands are a mixed bag of parts too. I suppose you don't own one of those either.

Nope.

If a gun was issued or made that way, then it is history. Not someone put together out of a crate couple months ago.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Nope.

If a gun was issued or made that way, then it is history. Not someone put together out of a crate couple months ago.

I'm really not trying to be an a$$h@~, but you understand these have been in storage overseas for longer than you've been alive, right?

Top Bottom