CNN: Children should get vaccinated. Period.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Not just running water, but HOT running water.

How many cold showers would you like to take?

Vaccines are a good idea, commercially produced drugs will cause some people to have allergic reactions. No two ways about it. Indianapolis produces a LOT of drugs, it's a factory that employs factory type people. They're not fairies with pixie dust, or all super chemists. They're just regular people. All processes, especially those that involve people, have variaiton in them. Sometimes bad stuff happens in manufacturing and doesn't get reported too. Medicine does not magically avoid the problems all other industrial processes have.

There are more than enough anecdotes and evidence to convince me that saying vaccination is 100% safe is simply not true. 99.9% safe? Probably.

How lucky do you feel?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    That's fine and all, but what of the argument that an unvaccinated kid could affect your kid? Schools forbidding kids from attending without vaccinations.

I don't like or agree with that sentiment... but I'm also not sure how I feel about it as a whole. Again, my big thing is people telling me I have to do something. That's just the sort of thing that'll make me not want to.
    Common misperception. Schools can't deny enrollment for not vaxing. They like to pretend they can (and they have gone so far as actually doing it in violation of the law), but there are exemptions. Of course, we know the solution to this and it doesn't involved the decision to poke or not to poke. ;)

While it is true that some have side effects from certain medicines including vaccines, and sometimes those side effects can be severe...their incidence is brutally small and the benefits way, way, WAY outweigh the downside risk.
    Sort of. The side effects range from mild to death. Brutal might be a good word after all, now that I think about it. The "risk" of which you speak is a statistical risk. For the average kid in the average family, that might be good enough. But there are some segments of the population for which the risk of contracting the disease might be lower than the risk of the vaccine, particularly those vaccinations that are from multi-dose containers and combine more than one antigen.
    Because science.

I got the flu every year in middle and high school until my freshman year of college, when I got my first flu shot. Since then, I have gotten the flu ONE TIME - H1N1 the year when it was going around and the vaccine hasn't been designed with that particular strain in mind, and even then it was a fairly mild case as virulent influenza goes.

I've gotten the flu vax once. I haven't had the flu since I was pregnant with my first in early spring 2006. I get upper respiratory infections and strep throat at a far greater rate than the flu.

Modern science and medicine are far from perfect, but they are the best they've ever been..and as a parent, I cannot fathom putting one's children or self at unnecessary risk from disease when there is a 99.9% safe, low-cost option available to prevent it.
    And I can't fathom a house full of guns with children approaching double digit age that haven't been to the range or haven't been safety tested on what they would do if they saw a firearm with no adult nearby. And yet, it seems I read about such a household weekly on INGO. :dunno: We all have our priorities and values.

Vaccines are a bunch of crap. They actually suppress your immune system from functioning as it should.
    They do not. They introduce an antigen and trigger an immune response. That isn't suppression. It isn't weakening of the immune system as in an overall lowered ability of the body to fight off any foreign antigen at any given time. The immune system may be less efficient at fighting other simultaneously-introduced antigens at the time the vaccine is administered, but that is a function of limited resources going toward a specific purpose. It's no difference than someone getting a secondary bacterial infection in the sinuses as a consequences of an immune system that is fighting a viral infection. The actual immune system functions exactly as it's supposed to. It isn't a superhero that is immune, pardon the pun, to overload.

The reason certain diseases have been eradicated is do to the fact that running water in homes along with better sanitation. Not to mention the vaccines they push and in some instances force upon you are loaded with mercury.
    Sanitation alone does not explain the decreased incidence of airborne communicable diseases. And sad to say, they haven't been eradicated. Pertussis is making a comeback in the U.S. thanks in large part to the unvaccinated immigrant population bringing it with them.

Nor are they "loaded" with mercury. And there are non-thimerosal options.

This has been directly related to autism and a lot of other condititons. Take them at your own risk! I will not
    Except that it hasn't.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I had no idea that one solitary study from a decade ago suggesting some adverse effects of vaccines was supposedly debunked.

This changes everything.

For more hard-hitting and courageous reporting, I will always tune in to CNN.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    It wasn't "supposedly debunked", steve. It was flat out debunked and withdrawn for being false in every particular.

Incorrect.

First of all, most of his research was confirmed by independent studies. I've posted this before.

Let's talk research.

Wakefield wasn't entirely wrong. There has been a lot of research supporting both the link between the measles virus strain contained in the MMR and GI issues similar to Crohn's disease. And there has been even more research supporting the link between this GI disorder and ASD.

Here are a few of the many research papers on these subjects:

Possible link between an immune response to the vaccinated form of the measles virus that leads to autistic-like symptoms:
    http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/Singh Elevated MV antibody titers 2003.pdf

Link between AAD and MMR antibodies:
    http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/Singh autoimmune autism.pdf

Link between IDB and ASD:
    http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/Krigsman proof.pdf

More links between the GI tract and ASD:
    http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/Cd...tic Entercolitis Fact ot Fiction Fed 2009.pdf

In addition, Wakefield's co-author was able to find the funds to fight the battle legally and was entirely vindicated of any wrong-doing by British courts.

MMR doctor wins battle against being struck off - Telegraph

Wakefield hopes to fight the battle as well, when he is financially able.

The entire situation was a politically-based crock of crap.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    no need to argue. someone with no microbiology background is here...

Vaccine's work. People have allergies to all sorts of ****. I have had patients who have allergies to penicillin, sulfa drugs, statin drugs, tylenol, shellfish, and cheese. I've seen someone so allergic to cheese that they have to have an epi pen at all times because ANY amount of contamination would send them into anaphylaxis.

This whole for the children thing is kinda bull****. How many elderly people die every year secondary to a son or daughter not getting vaxed and infecting them? It's not just for the children. It's also for the elderly and the immunocompromised.

Just because YOU and YOUR FAMILY might be able to survive the measles, doesn't mean that everyone else can.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

I don't need to be a nurse to understand the biology behind vaccines. I can read.

Vaccine's work.

This is quite a blanket statement to make. Lots of them don't work. Influenza and whooping cough vaccines, for example, are fairly useless.

How do you know that the rest of them work? Which manufacturers? Is each batch tested for efficacy? Tested on who, and how? Who performs the tests?

How many elderly people die every year secondary to a son or daughter not getting vaxed and infecting them?

I would love an answer to this question. I would put this number right around zero in the U.S. currently.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You picked a disease primarily spread by fecal-oral transmission to demonstrate the effectiveness of vaccines in a first world country. A disease which also displays few obvious symptoms or causes much damage in 90% of those infected by it.

Smallpox might be a better example since vaccine use has apparently wiped it out aside from the samples stored by various world governments.

Not to mention the last 100 or so cases of Polio in the USA came from the vaccine itself

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Vaccine's work. People have allergies to all sorts of ****. I have had patients who have allergies to penicillin, sulfa drugs, statin drugs, tylenol, shellfish, and cheese. I've seen someone so allergic to cheese that they have to have an epi pen at all times because ANY amount of contamination would send them into anaphylaxis.

This whole for the children thing is kinda bull****. How many elderly people die every year secondary to a son or daughter not getting vaxed and infecting them? It's not just for the children. It's also for the elderly and the immunocompromised.

Just because YOU and YOUR FAMILY might be able to survive the measles, doesn't mean that everyone else can.

Technically correct albeit anecdotal (infusions of opinion notwithstanding), but it would make a wonderful brochure for compulsory vaccination.

The part about social responsibility is what scares me as it is easily morphed into a justification and rallying cry for the aforementioned compulsory vaccinations. Further, it amazes me how so many people can blindly support this to the point of applying social or political pressure and/or mandate while thoroughly ignoring the fact that our greatest source of disease is walking north across the border with general refusal to do a damned thing about it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

You're not making a very good case for vaccination with this statement. Those elderly were vaccinatd as children. Why are they at risk? (This is rhetorical. I know the answer, but the answer clearly illustrates the fallacy of your argument.)

And that matters to me why?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    [/B]
    You're not making a very good case for vaccination with this statement. Those elderly were vaccinatd as children. Why are they at risk? (This is rhetorical. I know the answer, but the answer clearly illustrates the fallacy of your argument.)

And that matters to me why?

Inb4 "selfish, gotta get mine, screw everyone else" accusations.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Inb4 "selfish, gotta get mine, screw everyone else" accusations.

There's so much hypocrisy with it, too.

There are all sorts of ways that parents increase their childrens odds of contracting and spreading diseases that could kill immunocompromised people.

- Feed them junk food
    - Fail to feed them the proper nutrients
    - Send them to daycare
    - Don't teach them basic hygiene
    - Allow them in public when they are clearly sick

Measles is barely more dangerous than the common flu, which is widely spread by all of these behaviors. I don't see a bunch of busybodies wringing their hands and wetting their panties over these.

Top Bottom