• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Think I'll wait for the re-release of the models 1903 & 1908 "Pocket Hammerless".
    I need a new 1903 as the other bookend for my old one (circa 1915).

MrAverage

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Terre Haute
    And I think this is what people need to keep in mind before getting too excited. At the quoted MSRP, this simply can not be a high quality revolver.

I like Colt is getting back into the revolver game. I agree that stated MSRP cannot be a Colt of old quality. Maybe it opens the door to Colt's Custom shop to do have some performance center variants like S&W though.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I like Colt is getting back into the revolver game. I agree that stated MSRP cannot be a Colt of old quality. Maybe it opens the door to Colt's Custom shop to do have some performance center variants like S&W though.

I think you are forgetting that this is a 38 special gun, not 357 magnum. MSRP is right in line with S&W, maybe a little higher.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Will it be Python nice, no it won't but that being said I still think they can be competitive with S&W. It does not look bad from the photos and if it has a half way decent trigger I will probably buy one because as of late I have had a "thing" for J-Frame revolvers. The fact it is 38+p does not bother me because I never ever shoot 357 out of my 360PD J-Frame because of how not pleasant it is. If they keep the same level of quality in the Cobra as they have the 1911's they have been producing lately it should be a pretty decent revolver I think.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Okay, definitely a DS if going by the history of the guns, but we should all wish Colt well by dipping their toe back into the DA revolver market.
    If these turn out to be of high quality and sell well, they'll be encouraged to be more responsive to the commercial market instead of continuing to delude themselves into believing they can make all their profit through military and police sales.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I enjoyed the Cobra I had many years ago. Shot well, carried well. I traded it at a show a long time ago. Always thought it'd be cool if someone here ended up with it. It was nickel, pearl grips, Tyler-T's, bobbed hammer. Bought it that way from Ludco's in the mid 90's. Paid $400. Looked just like this one except for the Tylers & hammer. (Sorry, small picture won't attach for some reason)
    iu

As far as the new ones, I'm going to take a wait and see approach. Colt's business model and (dare I say) betrayal to the commercial market turned me off of their products years ago. I don't have confidence they will produce a product 1/10 the quality they used to be. If, and that's a big if, I ever get one then it will be way down the list. I am looking forward to the GP100 44 Special and would buy that before one of the new "Cobras".

85Cosmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    West Lafayette
    This seems like an easy decision for Colt, given the demand and prices since they quit making wheel guns. Whether they are old Colt quality or not, there will be a demand, there is a whole new group of buyers out there that never had the chance to buy a "new" Colt wheel gun.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    Maybe I'm just cynical, but since much of what passes as brilliance in business these days is recycling old designs with substandard materials, inferior workmanship and a higher price. But of course, much more marketing to sell the junk.

I'm wondering if Colt could actually make a revolver as good as its legacy models, even if it really wanted to and tried hard to do so. Those skilled laborers are largely long gone, I'm afraid.

They were craftsmen, not "skilled laborers".

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    And I think this is what people need to keep in mind before getting too excited. At the quoted MSRP, this simply can not be a high quality revolver.

It might be pretty decent quality, $699 is about par for the course for a new small, steel frame revolver from S&W or Ruger. I'd personally rather have a Ruger, as the old Colts have a reputation for being a bit more fragile than the bank-vault strong Rugers. But Ruger doesn't make a small 6 shot, so it's not an exact comparison. If I wanted a small 6 shot, I might look at the new Kimber K6 revolver if the Colt looks to be a flop. The MSRP on those is $899, if you can find one.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My Colt related list of demands
    1) Get rid of Series 80 it is stupid
    2) Front strap checker all the 1911's!!!!!
    3) Do not bring back the Python I very much like the current value on mine
    4) I want night sights as an option for the 1911's

They really do need to update the sight mounting on their 1911s.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    You can bet that it will not have the old style innards .No leaf springs or complicated linkages as in the snake guns . Will have a action as in the trooper.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I am very intrigued attached this point especially after reading the article BBI's posted. It will not be anywhere close to a Python trigger however I just pulled mine out of the safe and to call it's double action anything but epic is an understatement. Also I enjoyed how they are still getting heat for the Remington R51 debacle acting like that was not a bought and paid for review.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I am very intrigued attached this point especially after reading the article BBI's posted. It will not be anywhere close to a Python trigger however I just pulled mine out of the safe and to call it's double action anything but epic is an understatement. Also I enjoyed how they are still getting heat for the Remington R51 debacle acting like that was not a bought and paid for review.

You always have to wonder how much "extra love" the review guns get prior to being shipped. I know for a fact at least some of the manufacturers do, and suspect they all do. The article listing an 8-lb DA and 2-lb SA? I'd not hold my breath that's what the off-the-shelf gun comes in at, but we'll see.

I do like the quick change front sight. I wonder if they'll offer a hammer shroud at some point.

Top Bottom